Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dbrand or Slickwraps?

• dbrand

Votes: 7 58.3%
  • Slickwraps

Votes: 2 16.7%
  • iCarbons

Votes: 3 25.0%

• Total voters

RamalTheCamel

macrumors newbie
Nov 21, 2016
Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
I've been rocking a dbrand skin on my early 2015 rMBP for the past four or five months now, and I've really loved it. It keeps my machine safe from small bumps and scratches, and also gives it some colour. In fact, I'm thinking of getting another skin for my rMBP about halfway through next year to change things up a bit...

However, the thing is, I haven't actually seen anyone sporting a skin or vinyl wrap or anything on their MacBooks ever (with my own eyes anyway). I was wondering if anyone could tell me if they'd seen anyone with skins on their machines, of if they have a skin of their own.

bbates123

macrumors 6502a
Jul 2, 2010
I'm surprised that nobody has mentioned Bodyguardz. They make an excellent clear wet apply skin that's extremely thin and offers excellent scratch resistance. I had one on my 2013 rMBP for 3 years and it didn't look much worse for the wear after all that time...maybe a slight yellowing. It gives the notebook a glossy look but I find it to be more grippy than it was before the skin was applied.

JPNFRK7

macrumors 6502a
Sep 27, 2012
California
Honestly whatever company you go with will have a great skin. I know dbrands has more choices but all of them use the same 3M wrap so really its just a matter of cost and what skin you prefer on your machine. As long as the cuts are high quality you cant go wrong.

JPNFRK7

macrumors 6502a
Sep 27, 2012
California
Just received my dbrands skin and it is packaged very well and in some very cool packaging. Ill be installing it pretty soon but so far I am pretty impressed.

stephen1108

macrumors 65816
Sep 30, 2007
So I installed my dbrand skin on my 13" Touchbar Pro, and it hangs off the edge my like a mm or two :/

Has anyone else experienced this?

hLJltAn.jpg

It's perfectly aligned, per their instructions

iFXsDiI.jpg

But the right side hangs off way too much

nikster0029

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2010
So I installed my dbrand skin on my 13" Touchbar Pro, and it hangs off the edge my like a mm or two :/

hLJltAn.jpg

iFXsDiI.jpg

I would just email them these pictures and they will send you a new one. I hope to get the marble one soon!

JPNFRK7

macrumors 6502a
Sep 27, 2012
California
did you get yours? post some pictures? do you like it?

I got it, I'll post some pictures tomorrow in some good light. Im happy with the look of the skin but not happy with the cuts they make. I know these things can be off a bit but the cuts and screw holes are pretty off. I typically use iCarbons and went with Dbrands because they had the Matte black. Overall I'm happy with the look but they need to spend a little more time getting the cuts in the right spot.

hLJltAn.jpg

iFXsDiI.jpg

I had this happen with my bottom skin. I had the first line of holes on the bottom lined up perfectly as per their instructions. Worked the skin all the way to the other side of the MBP and had some hanging over. Took the entire skin off again and realigned it my way. Now it is aligned with the edges of the MBP but some of the holes and feet are a little off on the bottom.

NovemberWhiskey

macrumors 68040
May 18, 2009
I just got my D-brand bottom carbon fiber skin for my MacBook Pro touchbar 15''. I haven't applied it yet, but I am very impressed with both the packaging and the quality of the skin itself.

Packaging was a pleasant surprise. Skin goes into a thick vinyl/sleeve, with a cardboard insert for rigidity; that goes into a cardboard envelope for shipping, and there is writing all over in different languages saying "Do NOT Bend". There were minor creases in the exterior cardboard from shipping handling, and some imprints on the plastic sleeve, but the skin itself seemed perfect.

Will update when I install which could be a few weeks as I need to swap out my computer.

Shipping took about 1 week. I think they ship from Canada, to New York. Then out to wherever it needs to go. I'm in California so that is coast to coast.

I can't say for sure, but these may be laser cut. Or if they are plotter cut, then they are very sharp blades. Completely unlike slick wraps, which looks like a 2-year old cut it around the edges and for speaker hole cutouts.

D-brand has earned a customer. Slickwraps lost one.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.