Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

960design

macrumors 68040
Apr 17, 2012
Destin, FL
I cannot comment on the usefulness of the touch bar as I haven't actually used it, but based on other users' experience and various reviews, it seems it is from complete failure at worst, to marginally useful at best.

As for the other points you make:

- stronger wifi receiver. While technically true, you will never be able to tell the difference in actual usage.
- 2 fans (which would mean less thermal throttling?). True, although with the usage you describe, you are extremely unlikely to experience thermal throttling anyway.
- faster cpu 3.1 ghz. See combined answers to the other 2 points above.

Honestly, the difference in price vs the non-TB model is basically just for the TB itself and 2 extra ports. I personally don't think it's worth it, but others may like it.
I like the touchbar and use it daily. I don't need it, but I do like it.

New_Mac_Smell

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2016
Shanghai
You see, that's not how it works. When you type blind, you rely on the edges of the keys to find your way around the keyboard. That's also why the f and j keys have that funny protruding line on them: when your index fingers don't feel that, you know you're in the wrong place.

Having an area where you can hit something you can't feel is just not a substitute for a key that I use as frequently as ESC. However, remapping the ESC key is.

From what you're saying, you can change the volume by keeping your finger down? Touch & slide immediately? That's nice. I didn't know that. That's one of the reasons I actually like the cnncept of the TouchBar. It has the potential to do a lot of nifty things. Whether the potential has already been achieved is another matter entirely :)

I just use the TB itself as the indicator and the fact it's in the top left of the keyboard. You don't actually need to hit the esc button, it's pretty much a 1" strip on the left side of the bar so it's never a problem to hit it. If you feel with your fingers, as in normal keys here, you'll be feeling the left side of that key as it'll be impossible to differentiate it from say F1 otherwise. So effectively, it's exactly the same for the esc key. As I said other F keys are no so much, you'd have to somehow train your brain to know where they are based on nearby keys. I tend to hit Siri all the time when reaching for delete however but you can remove/change buttons on there.

Try the volume slider next time you're in a store then, just tap and hold. This is when it's on the default layout, if you have it replicate the control strip (I.e. the slide out controls) then it'll display mute/down/up with no slider.

adamh10

macrumors member
Mar 20, 2009
Bradford, ON, Canada
- Some things require more actions. I can increase/decrease volume and brightness immediately by pressing the F-keys. With TouchBar, I first need to hit the volume/brightness icon, then use the slider. That's two steps.
You can actually remap the Touch Bar in your own customized way. You don't have to tap volume and then use a slider. You can have the row of volume/brightness/etc. keys permanently show up just like on a previous generation Mac (in physical key form) but on the Touch Bar. Just an FYI.

Lastgreen

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 19, 2017
You can actually remap the Touch Bar in your own customized way. You don't have to tap volume and then use a slider. You can have the row of volume/brightness/etc. keys permanently show up just like on a previous generation Mac (in physical key form) but on the Touch Bar. Just an FYI.
But how durable is this touch bar going to be? can it last 5 years down the line? also is the difference in CPU power (non touch versus touch bar) along with the 2 fans noticeable?

960design

macrumors 68040
Apr 17, 2012
Destin, FL
But how durable is this touch bar going to be? can it last 5 years down the line? also is the difference in CPU power (non touch versus touch bar) along with the 2 fans noticeable?
I'll let you know in two more years ( get new computer every three years ). My 2016 MBPr with TouchBar still running perfectly.

Reactions: HenryDJP

New_Mac_Smell

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2016
Shanghai

Well nobody can say for sure but I can't see why durability would be much of a concern, it's reasonably simple for a touch device after all. Burn in could be an issue as with any OLED however it isn't displayed permanently, turning off with your backlit keys. It's also not a static thing (Question may be different if someone displays permanent classic mode on it). So who knows, if the screen lasts 5 years then I'd expect the TB to last the same really.

CPU is noticeable depending on what you're doing, if you actually use the CPU and stuff. If you're just browsing the internet and using office based software, then you'll likely never notice it. If you're in a field that uses the CPU, I.E. rendering or number crunching, then it'll be stressing the CPU a lot more. The base clock speed is slower, with the turbo-boost bringing it up on par. So think of it like having 2 cars with 200bhp, except one is relying on NOS to get there. If you're driving 30 everywhere it's fine, but if you're pushing it then the system is being maxed rather than still in its comfort zone.

Many people seem to think they 'need' maximum CPU power, and increasingly lately they now need 6-core jobbies. Truth is that CPUs for a long time have been hugely overpowered for the majority of peoples needs in day to day computing, and realistically it only makes a difference to CPU intensive processes. For example rendering, I'm able to do this across 8 cores and so do it faster than if I only had 4, if speed is something critical then it's worth it, and if it's a professional rig then saving 5 minutes per render can add up. However if this was a hobby, I'd rather wait 30 minutes than 25 and save the cost difference...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.