Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lizzyflip

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 14, 2015
I put something in the recycle bin which I wanted to remove from my computer. I noticed that Macintosh HD is already in there. I don't think I've put it there but I've not noticed it there before. How do I get it out? The is what the bin looks like now.
Screenshot 2021-05-02 at 22.28.11.png

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
Right click on that file and then click on on the "put back" option. That isn't really your HDD. It looks like you accidentally dragged a file name etc. to your desktop and it created that file. Same thing happens to me occasionally.

lizzyflip

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 14, 2015
Right click on that file and then click on on the "put back" option. That isn't really your HDD. It looks like you accidentally dragged a file name etc. to your desktop and it created that file. Same thing happens to me occasionally.
How do I right click? When I click on it it just goes blue. I don't get an option to do anything. Sorry I'm not very good with tech ☹️

lizzyflip

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 14, 2015
How do I right click? When I click on it it just goes blue. I don't get an option to do anything. Sorry I'm not very good with tech ☹️
If I just click on 'empty' will it just delete the EE thing or the Macintosh HD as well?

AJACs3

macrumors member
Jan 6, 2014
I put something in the recycle bin which I wanted to remove from my computer. I noticed that Macintosh HD is already in there. I don't think I've put it there but I've not noticed it there before. How do I get it out? The is what the bin looks like now. View attachment 1768826
Trash bin folders are stored on their respective “hard drives”, I am guessing that the Macintosh HD that you see on your screenshot is telling you those files in the bin are originally from your default drive. If you had other drives attached and had things in the bin on those, they’d also get a little heading and be separated out. I can’t test this because I can’t run the latest macOS (my iMac is a 2009 and still going strong 💪)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.