Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Gersh66

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 22, 2016
Hello everyone,

Recently, I've been trying to run bootcamp on my 2011 Macbook Pro. While doing this, I never could get a successful partition for windows due to an error. After following steps to verify and repair my Macintosh HD, I keep receiving an error that "The volume Macintosh HD was found to corrupt and needs to be repaired." I've tried booting in Single User mode and Repair mode to no avail to fix this issue. I'm completely illiterate on this side of computers. I'm not sure what the volume is and how to fix it. Am I missing a step or looking at the wrong thing? Any help would be greatly appreciated. I have attached a photo of the error in disk utility.

Attachments

• Volume Error.png
    Volume Error.png
    142.7 KB · Views: 431

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
Turn FileVault off.
Then, try your disk repair again, just to make sure that the disk and file directory are OK.
You should be able to make the Boot Camp partition then.
After you get your Windows system installed, then you could boot back to OS X, and turn File Vault back on - if you prefer the security of having your drive encrypted.

KimUsername

macrumors member
Jan 14, 2016
Ontario, Canada
Ok. I currently have a TM backup on an external HD. Do I need to do anything different in case something goes wrong?

I am not sure if disk utility can repair disk when you have FileVault turned on. I have never used FileVault. I am assuming that if Disk Utility has a problem with FileVault it will let you know. Or you could turn FileVault off as DeltaMac has suggested first.

Kim
[doublepost=1453577353][/doublepost]
I am not sure if disk utility can repair disk when you have FileVault turned on. I have never used FileVault. I am assuming that if Disk Utility has a problem with FileVault it will let you know. Or you could turn FileVault off as DeltaMac has suggested first.

Kim

Check out this article of trying to install Boot Camp on drive with FileVault turned on.
http://macs.about.com/od/LionTipsNtricks/ss/Filevault-2-Using-Disk-Encryption-With-Os-X-Lion.htm

If you plan to use Boot Camp, be sure to turn FileVault 2 off when you use Boot Camp Assistant to partition and install Windows. Once Windows is functional, you can turn FileVault 2 back on.

Looks like DeltaMac is correct.

Kim

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Hello everyone,

Recently, I've been trying to run bootcamp on my 2011 Macbook Pro. While doing this, I never could get a successful partition for windows due to an error. After following steps to verify and repair my Macintosh HD, I keep receiving an error that "The volume Macintosh HD was found to corrupt and needs to be repaired." I've tried booting in Single User mode and Repair mode to no avail to fix this issue. I'm completely illiterate on this side of computers. I'm not sure what the volume is and how to fix it. Am I missing a step or looking at the wrong thing? Any help would be greatly appreciated. I have attached a photo of the error in disk utility.
Do a command-r boot to recovery, then launch Disk Utility. Then select the lower Macintosh HD volume there and go to the file menu and select unlock and enter your password. Then try a repair disk run.

Gersh66

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 22, 2016

Kim
[doublepost=1453577353][/doublepost]

Check out this article of trying to install Boot Camp on drive with FileVault turned on.
http://macs.about.com/od/LionTipsNtricks/ss/Filevault-2-Using-Disk-Encryption-With-Os-X-Lion.htm

If you plan to use Boot Camp, be sure to turn FileVault 2 off when you use Boot Camp Assistant to partition and install Windows. Once Windows is functional, you can turn FileVault 2 back on.

Looks like DeltaMac is correct.

Kim
Sweet. I just stared to decrypt my files and turn off FileVault. Once that's done I'll try and repair and get the partition done. Will keep everyone updated.

Gersh66

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 22, 2016
To All Who Find This:

I've fully installed and run windows 8.1! Thank you to everyone who commented and helped. I figured out that FileVault was causing some trouble, and that you are unable to verify and repair a disk when you boot from it. To circumvent this, boot to your recovery partition and then run DU from there. Once again, thank you to everyone who provided tips and words of advice!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.