Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Christopher Kim

macrumors 6502a
Nov 18, 2016
This just started happening to me with my new 14" MBP. I use both an Exchange account and an iCloud account, and had previously used the default Mac Mail app to use them. Every time I open my computer, I get the Notification that I need to enter my password for Exchange Server. But when I click in, it never asks me for it (and when I open the Mail app, it doesn't either, and I can read / download e-mails as if the notification never happened).

Anyways, it was annoying enough that I've switched to using Outlook for my Exchange e-mail account.

MobiusStrip

macrumors 6502
Dec 11, 2009
This is still an unfixed defect as of now, but there is a workaround: Go into Keychain Access and search for "exchange". Chances are you're going to find six or more. Normally there are three.

Delete them all. Next time you're prompted, enter your credentials. Problem will probably be solved.

Somebody above also mentioned this.

OverSpun

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 12, 2006
California
This is still an unfixed defect as of now, but there is a workaround: Go into Keychain Access and search for "exchange". Chances are you're going to find six or more. Normally there are three.

Delete them all. Next time you're prompted, enter your credentials. Problem will probably be solved.

Somebody above also mentioned this.
I attempted this, it briefly worked. However I need to put in my password every few days or so. Pretty annoying.

MobiusStrip

macrumors 6502
Dec 11, 2009
I attempted this, it briefly worked. However I need to put in my password every few days or so. Pretty annoying.
Yep, I've found the same thing. It's ridiculous. And even more annoying is that when you click on the notification to take action, it just stupidly takes you to the Accounts page or something, where there's no way to enter the bitched-about credential.

OverSpun

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 12, 2006
California
Yep, I've found the same thing. It's ridiculous. And even more annoying is that when you click on the notification to take action, it just stupidly takes you to the Accounts page or something, where there's no way to enter the bitched-about credential.

My work’s IT claimed the 2-step security with exchange, cannot be changed from the 2-step all day or every day.

This is newish, years back, I never had this issue.

mjoecups

macrumors member
Nov 27, 2017
This still seems to be a problem with the current Big Sur and current Mail/Exchange. SUPER ANNOYING.

mjoecups

macrumors member
Nov 27, 2017
Yes, and then there is nowhere in Network account to update it. Sometimes a little window pops up that appears to be a web window that connects to Microsofts online Office365 authentication site, but that sometime hangs and even when it works, the problem recurs!

WTH IS THIS EVER GOING TO BE FIXED?

OverSpun

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 12, 2006
California
Yes, and then there is nowhere in Network account to update it. Sometimes a little window pops up that appears to be a web window that connects to Microsofts online Office365 authentication site, but that sometime hangs and even when it works, the problem recurs!

WTH IS THIS EVER GOING TO BE FIXED?
Try Click the “continue” button, x and slide the notification and and it sometimes goes away and it doesn’t fix the problem.

aamoren3

macrumors member
Sep 19, 2014
Trying to look for a solution for this as well. This is sofa king annoying. Same as above, it's a work email and I have to enter my Exchange password with Imprivata several times a day on my iMac and MBA.

erasr

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2007
Same issue here too. Both work and my old Hotmail account just keep popping up with notifcations on my new M2 Air.

Thought it would've been limited to my old Pro but alas, no, it's doing the same ****ing thing on my new laptop.

Christopher Kim

macrumors 6502a
Nov 18, 2016
It’s sad that this still isn’t fixed. I experienced this above back in Nov 2021 when I first got my M1 Pro.

I’ve been using Outlook since then and it works well enough. At this point, just gotta hope it’s fixed in the new macOS Ventura coming out soon!

mjoecups

macrumors member
Nov 27, 2017
Seems unlikely as it has persisted through Big Sur and Monterey. Seriously bizarre.

Personally I think it's MS up to there old tricks. They find a ways to irritate you into switching to not using Apple's software.

OverSpun

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 12, 2006
California
Seems unlikely as it has persisted through Big Sur and Monterey. Seriously bizarre.

Personally I think it's MS up to there old tricks. They find a ways to irritate you into switching to not using Apple's software.

Could be, but... still not resolved.

Unless someone found a trick. Very annoying. ALL day,

djxpress

macrumors member
Nov 6, 2010
I'm having the same issue. Several times a day I get a notification to enter my exchange password. Click on the notification and it takes me to the exchange account in the "accounts" setting in Mac OS but there is no where to enter the password. My exchange email account normally requires two-factor authorization if I access it via website, wonder if that's why I'm always getting the notifications? Regardless, through the Apple Mail app, it still pulls the emails, even if I ignore the notification.

steinmb

macrumors member
Sep 2, 2008
Norway
Still a problem, macOS 13.5 (22G74). Exchange with two factor auth. Drives my bonkers and now one have a fix.

• If I disable the account, the notification correctly goes away, but I am never able to get the account to re-authenticate. The only way is by remove and add the account again.
  • Another workaround is that my machine always stay on the same network after I am authenticated. For my MBP, that means, I need to stay connected through the company Cisco VPN. Always.
Anyone now if this have been addressed in macOS Sonoma?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.