Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jonboighini

macrumors newbie
Jun 9, 2018
TN
Hello all, I had this error when installing as well.

I did manage to finally restart my computer in 10.12 Sierra, as opposed to installing 10.13, and wanted to let others know about it, as this page was one of the top results as I was trying to desperately find a way to either install or recover. I'll get 10.13 installed soon, but I was a bad user and didn't back up before trying to install the first time. I will do that now.

In the meantime, for those that haven't had success installing 10.13, and are in this same could not install loop, and simply would like to get back to 10.12, here is what I did: Once I received the "could not be installed on your computer message" and it told me to quit the installer and restart, I went to Apple logo in the upper left (maybe had to click a bit to make the menu bar appear?), and there was an option to choose the startup disk. It had my 10.12.6 system folder as an option, I chose it, it restarted, and instead of booting with the Installer, it booted normally! I'm backing up now and very happy I didn't screw myself over.

Mildly interestingly, I have a Bootcamp partition, and in troubleshooting, I wanted to be sure the partition was fine, so I booted using Option to choose a drive to start up from. In this view, the two partitions were disk images. I point this out to contrast it to when I chose the start up disk from the menu bar option, the images were the OS folders and names, not the disk image icons and names. Hope this ramble may offer an additional person another avenue of success.

So I’m trying to revert back to 10.12 and got very excited that this was the solution! But when I restart it from the start up disk my Mac just goes back to the installer.

My Mac has been having issues for a while, but it was working perfectly with single user mode. Does anyone have any idea what to do and how I can just get back to 10.12? Any help is greatly appreciated!

MacJohnyBoy

macrumors newbie
Jul 24, 2018
I just upgraded my Retina MacBook Pro 15 with Sierra to High Sierra and the initial upgrade went well.
After I updated iTunes and some other needed updates I finally tried to install the lastest update 10.13.6.
It reported that a restart was needed to continue this update.
Following the restart the normal update screen with apple logo appeared and when it was almost ready the "famous" screen with the message "macOS could not be installed on your computer" appeared.
In this state you can keep rebooting the MacBook and end up with this same message.

I could normally log in to High Sierra again by the following action:
By restarting and pressing Command+R, Starting the Disk Utility in Recovery Mode, Mounted my SSD drive (first unlock it because of FileVault), Choose SSD drive as Startdisk, Reboot...

Only problem is that the update is still not installed and by again starting the update process it re-downloads the 10.13.6 update but end up again in the above described situation... I am just not able to install the latest update.
Is somebody experiencing this same issue?

I recently did the same installation job on my non-Retina MacBook Pro 13 and the update to 10.13.6 went flawless.

MacJohnyBoy

macrumors newbie
Jul 24, 2018
Solved... I managed to install the update after FileVault finished with encrypting the SSD drive...

It seems that the 10.13.6 update after the reboot cannot finish the install while the encrypting process of FileVault has not completed yet... resulting in the "macOS could not be installed on your computer" message...confusing!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.