Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

phillman5

macrumors newbie
Jan 6, 2009
I see only one reference to Canvas Draw here, and that is that it is not running. No version number. I can report that it seems version 6.0.3 seems to crash on starting, and gives no log/crash report. I had 6.0.2 and it would not start, but gave a crash log, so I had to download 6.0.3 from their website, I went through some intro stuff then it disappeared. Relaunching and it disappears. Looking at their site to update, and the new version appears (doesn't give a number) to show its for Catalina and Mojave. So I guess they are not further developing. Bummer! Add that to my Mojave partition with Adobe Creative Suite 5.5.

cadec

macrumors newbie
Feb 7, 2020
after monterey 12.6.5 update, apple's very own crappy screen mirroring is not working for me anyway on a 2020 intel 5K iMac. fwiw. (airplay no longer exists in Monterey at all btw. that's how much they hate and despise their own users. I for one am getting fed up.)

Tex Tiles

macrumors member
Jun 12, 2023
I installed this Monterey just so I could try the Final Cut Pro trial, and the OS seems fine but Final Cut Pro trial crashes on boot. Maybe they have written something into the trial to punish us old people... with old computers.
mid 2010 imac i3 oh well that was a lot of work for nothing.
Brilliant work though on getting this workaround running for the most part.

Martyimac

macrumors 68020
Aug 19, 2009
S. AZ.
I installed this Monterey just so I could try the Final Cut Pro trial, and the OS seems fine but Final Cut Pro trial crashes on boot. Maybe they have written something into the trial to punish us old people... with old computers.
mid 2010 imac i3 oh well that was a lot of work for nothing.
Brilliant work though on getting this workaround running for the most part.
Final Cut Pro requires a metal capable GPU. According to this apple page, your "old" 2010 iMac doesn't have a metal capable GPU, https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT205073
That is my guess as to why it crashes.

Tex Tiles

macrumors member
Jun 12, 2023
Final Cut Pro requires a metal capable GPU. According to this apple page, your "old" 2010 iMac doesn't have a metal capable GPU, https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT205073
That is my guess as to why it crashes.
Right you are! thanks for that Martyimac, I found a download for an older version that doesn't require metal (10.4.4) and runs on High Sierra, but it's only a 30 day trial but it works. Up and running. I do like the Monterey though, it's nice to be a little more current than High Sierra for some things. Thanks for your knowledgeable info.

Reactions: Martyimac

Dolphins1972

macrumors member
Oct 1, 2017
Not working:

VideoSpec v.0.9.8
Screen Shot 2023-06-24 at 11.45.46 AM.png

Logitech HD Pro Webcam C920 (No Image) GUI works but does not display image. No support for Monterey, support stops at Big Sur.
Screen Shot 2023-06-24 at 1.38.10 PM.png

Last edited:

rikki_t

macrumors member
Jan 3, 2023
Running Monterey 12.7.2 on a 2.7 GHz 12-Core Intel Xeon E5 and I have a Logitech Webcam Pro 9000 Microphone Carl Zeiss Optics 720p HD 2mp V-u0009 which works just fine ( gotta be 10-15 years old at least) comes up listed under sound inputs as unknown usb device, been running it in Adobe Character Animator, picture but am routing sound through Rode mice, but no probs, face time seems fine too PS E Bay lists these antiques for $8 a pop

Elnlou

macrumors member
Mar 20, 2017
Running Monterey 12.7.1 (not yet upgraded to 12.7.2) on a 15 inch, 2016 MacBook Pro, 2.7 GHz Quad-Core Intel i7, memory-16 GB. Since the upgrade my Logitech Wireless Mouse M305 started freezing my computer and the right click short menu died. I had an old mouse that I am now using and it is wired connected and works! My WD Passport for MAC 1TB, external drive that I use with Time Machine all of a sudden has much less backup space and is occasionally buggy. The problems slowly began when I first upgraded from MacOS 11 (Big Sur) to MacOS 12 (Monterey).

If I eventually upgrade to Ventura my current MacBook Pro will no longer be compatible/supported. So, I will eventually have to get a new MacBook Pro either the 2023 14 inch or 16 inch. I know the 14 inch 2023 cut its memory in half.

With the above in mind, I want to get a new external hard drive that will be compatible and supported with Ventura and eventually Sonoma and the 2023 MacBook Pro. I also plan to get a new a HP printer, scanner, 5G, etc but that discussion is for another time.

Anyway, I see a lot of complaints about WD external drives supposedly compatible with Time Machine not being compatible with each Apple OS upgrade and that Seagate external drive doesn't have that issue as long as you format it correctly. Is this true? Should i switch to Seagate?

This Forum has been a God send to me and I respect the generous advice and sharing of experiences here. I actually trust this Forum more than I would trust the manufacturers support (kind of a conflict of interest). I will, however, call Logitech support to see what they have to say in case there is a quick tweak to fix what seems to be incompatibility with the OS????

Thanks in advance for sharing your wisdom!

rikki_t

macrumors member
Jan 3, 2023
I have LaCie HDD's and NVMe Gen 2 Blade SSD's attached and if I were to start again I'd dump the LaCies or any other type of HDD for that matter and just stick with solid state, I find them them much more reliable and a lot faster and they disconnect way less often. Since moving from Mojave to Monterey external HDD's have been nothing but a PITA

Monotremata

macrumors 6502
Apr 11, 2019
Fontana, CA
I've been using WD Passports and MyBooks for about 14 years now. First one was my old Snow Leopard/Lion Mac Pro with a 250GB (remember when you could back up your whole system on that?), which is now my 'spare' drive on my Xbox.. 2016 or so, swapped that out with a 4TB MyBook, and about 5 years back, swapped that out for an 8TB.. The current one's gone from Catalina all the way to Sonoma now.

Never had a single issue with them, moving from one OS to another (or back). This thing has saved my butt countless times over all that time.

I have seen Time Machine over the years act a little funny and not clean itself up though. I've run into the 'no more storage' message quite a few times, yet its supposed to be deleting old snapshots as it needs space.. It may actually be keeping your Big Sur backups 'seperate' thinking it's another machine or something. Thinking about it, I haven't ran into that issue in quite awhile now, but the last time would've been somewhere around Mojave/Catalina/Big Sur..

Last edited:

SalisburySam

macrumors 6502a
May 19, 2019
Salisbury, North Carolina
I have LaCie HDD's and NVMe Gen 2 Blade SSD's attached and if I were to start again I'd dump the LaCies or any other type of HDD for that matter and just stick with solid state, I find them them much more reliable and a lot faster and they disconnect way less often. Since moving from Mojave to Monterey external HDD's have been nothing but a PITA
Sorry to learn that. I went from Mojave to Monterey and use the same external HDD’s without issue. Two Seagate 8TB drives and one Lacie 4TB drive so 20TB connected to my 2017 iMac’s USB ports, one USB-A (Lacie) and two USB-C (Seagate).

rikki_t

macrumors member
Jan 3, 2023
should have pointed out that I am connecting them via a CalDigit thunderbolt dock over a TB 2 cable with a TB2 to 3 Converter, SSD's are fine with this but the HDD are temperamental , if I use a USB3 cable they work fine but the transfer speed is rubbish - 30-40 Mbps as opposed to 280.90 Mbps

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.