Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Timelordprime

macrumors member
Oct 12, 2011
Toronto
CBS Donation 9 May 2024
2 units of platelets and a unit of plasma. New procedure post-donation that the medical staff have to perform that adds about 15 minutes to the time between donors as the machines can’t be sterilized. The new process adds 500 ml of an anti-bacterial solution to the platelets and plasma.

Attachments

• IMG_1065.jpeg
    IMG_1065.jpeg
    492.5 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_1059.jpeg
    IMG_1059.jpeg
    402.4 KB · Views: 14

bkimball90

macrumors newbie
May 19, 2024
Toledo, Ohio

The Fifteenth Annual MacRumors Blood Drive runs for the month of May 2024. If you are eligible, we ask you to donate blood, platelets, or plasma this month. Your donation will help other people survive or recover from injury, surgery, or illness (see the Blood and Platelet Donation FAQ).

We also ask that you register as an organ donor and register for the bone marrow registry, if you haven't already. You might preserve the life of someone who suffers organ failure, or cure someone of a life-threatening disease like leukemia (see Organ, Tissue, and Bone Marrow Donation FAQ).

How to participate in the MacRumors Blood Drive

1. Donate blood, platelets, or plasma, register as an organ donor, or register as a bone marrow donor

Donate at any donation center in your area. Pick a day when you can spare an hour or two, and make an appointment.​
Registering as an organ donor is easy. Depending on your country, you may be able to register online by filling out a form. You may be asked to sign a donor card or put a sticker on your driver's license. To register to be a stem cell or bone marrow donor, you typically fill out a form and have your cheek swabbed.​
If you are ineligible or deferred from donating, please support our drive by convincing someone you know to donate, and you'll both earn a spot on the Honor Roll.​

2. Let us know

The reward for donating or registering is personal satisfaction from helping others. But we want to add to your reward by giving you a well-deserved pat on the back.​
After you donate or register, post in this thread and tell us about it. For blood, platelet, and plasma donations, tell us how many units. You can even post a photo of your arm bandage or plaster.​
Check out our Honor Roll, where we give you public thanks for your generosity.​

3. Spread the word - #MacRumorsBloodDrive

Let others know about the need for these donations. Share with your followers. Encourage friends, relatives, classmates, and coworkers to donate.​
If you or someone in your family has received a blood or platelet transfusion, share your story.​
And please thank the donors who post here.​

Two other ways to support the MacRumors Blood Drive
  1. Edit your forum signature and paste in this line:

:) [B][COLOR=red]I support the [thread=2425233]MacRumors Blood Drive[/thread]![/COLOR][/B] :)​

2. Download this image, then use it to set your avatar:

View attachment 2373444
I donated Friday in Toledo, Ohio. It was a Power Red donation and took me up to 61 units of total donations. I've also been signed up as an Organ Donor for many years.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-05-19 at 9.14.06 AM.png
    Screenshot 2024-05-19 at 9.14.06 AM.png
    52.8 KB · Views: 10

phroggie

macrumors newbie
Feb 22, 2007
Don't ya love it when the MacRumors blood drive falls during a May that the 1st, 2nd or 3rd falls on your biweekly donation day?

So put me down for 3 apheresis donations for a total of 7 units of platelets and 2 units of plasma.

And a shout out to the wonderful people at the American Red Cross donor center in Woodland Hills who did 6 pain free pokes, put up with me and weren't too terribly traumatized by my blood curdling screams when they pulled off the tapes.

Looking forward to another 9 bagger for next year's blood drive.

(I aged out of the marrow registry but I have the pink dot on my DL.)

Reactions: Timelordprime

DCstewieG

macrumors regular
Jun 30, 2008
U.S.A.
I do a double red every 4 months. Lined up that I just did one. Thanks for the reminder Q!

Attachments

• IMG_0294.jpeg
    IMG_0294.jpeg
    305.6 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_0280.jpeg
    IMG_0280.jpeg
    249.2 KB · Views: 4
Reactions: NoBoMac

Doctor Q

Administrator
Original poster
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
The results are in!

Check out the Blood Drive summary statistics in the MacRumors 2024 Blood Drive thread.

Thank you to all of this year's participants!

How to Keep Participating: June 2024 through April 2025

Blood, platelet, and plasma donors can continue to participate.

Record your donations on the Team MacRumors page. We'll tally your donations and count them for the MacRumors Blood Drive next May.
  1. Go to the Team MacRumors page and click PLEDGE TO GIVE BLOOD. Bookmark the page for the future.
  2. Fill in your MacRumors username as your first name and @ macrumors as your last name.
  3. In the comments field, tell us what type of donation and how many units, e.g., 1 unit of whole blood, 2 units of platelets, etc.
  4. The email address and zip code fields don't matter. MacRumors won't use that information.
If you also want to post here about your donation, that's fine, since it helps encourage others to participate!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.