Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

MacRumors is pleased to announce our Fifteenth Annual MacRumors Blood Drive, throughout the month of May 2024. Let's save lives together by encouraging donations of blood, platelets, and plasma. While most blood drives are specific to a geographic location, our blood drive is online and worldwide. Anyone can participate.

blood_drive_2024.jpg

Over the past 14 years, MacRumors Blood Drives have recorded donations of 1,305 units of blood, platelets, and plasma, cheered for donors, and celebrated new signups for the organ donor and bone marrow registries. We've heard from hundreds of forum members who donate or whose lives were saved by the donations of strangers.

This year's featured donor is user Neil.gtis, a three-year forum member from England. Neil is a regular donor who has made 98 blood donations to date, and will reach his 100th donation this year. Whether you're a regular donor like Neil.gtis or someone overcoming apprehension to donate for the very first time, we congratulate you.

featured_donor_2024.jpg

How to participate in the MacRumors Blood Drive

1. If you are an eligible donor (e.g., U.S. eligibility rules), schedule a blood, platelet, or plasma donation (FAQ) at any donation center near you. Post in the MacRumors 2024 Blood Drive! thread to tell us about it. Also post if you register as an organ donor or register for the bone marrow registry (FAQ). We'll add all donors and registrants to our Honor Roll.
  2. If you aren't eligible to donate, such as for medical reasons, please encourage someone else to make a donation, and let us know. If they donate, you'll both be added to our Honor Roll. The FDA has changed the U.S. donor eligibility rules, by removing the blanket ban on MSM donors, so there are more eligible donors than ever before.
  3. Share our message with friends, relatives, and followers. Thank the forum members who post in the MacRumors 2024 Blood Drive! thread.
After the MacRumors Blood Drive ends on May 31, please record your blood, platelet, and plasma donations on our Team MacRumors 2024-2025 page (see instructions). We'll tally your donations and count them for the MacRumors 2025 Blood Drive next May.

Article Link: MacRumors 2024 Blood Drive

phgreer

macrumors regular
Jul 18, 2002
Greenville, SC
I'm sorry I can't. I used to donate a lot. but in 2022 I was diagnosed with Multiple Myeloma. I am doing fine now except for side effects from my meds. Technically in remission but not allowed to donate. I am A- if anyone wants to donate in lieu of me not being able to.

Darren.h

macrumors 6502
Apr 15, 2023
I donated every 6 months when I lived outside Chicago. now that I am in the very rural high desert of Joshua Tree CA I will have to call and find a place. Maybe I have to drive to Palm Springs.

Reactions: brucemr

bg1419

macrumors member
May 7, 2019
📝Reminder that US blood donation guidelines are unnecessarily discriminatory, severely outdated, and were designed to spread homophobic hysteria surrounding HIV. To this day, sexually active men who have sex with men aren’t allowed to donate, regardless of their HIV status. I won’t tell people not to donate, but I’d encourage everyone to consider the ramifications of supporting the system as it currently exists and whether it aligns with your values. For me, it doesn’t (not that they want my nasty blood anyway, apparently).

Guy Over Here

macrumors newbie
May 1, 2024
📝Reminder that US blood donation guidelines are unnecessarily discriminatory, severely outdated, and were designed to spread homophobic hysteria surrounding HIV. To this day, sexually active men who have sex with men aren’t allowed to donate, regardless of their HIV status. I won’t tell people not to donate, but I’d encourage everyone to consider the ramifications of supporting the system as it currently exists and whether it aligns with your values. For me, it doesn’t (not that they want my nasty blood anyway, apparently).
All of these things are true, but that's not the fault of the people who desperately need blood. These policies are antiquated and discriminatory, but the organization still provides an essential service.

Tonewheel

macrumors 6502a
Sep 28, 2007
Congrats. Someone had to go there on this worthwhile story.

Reactions: Digitalweddings

TechnoMonk

macrumors 68000
Oct 15, 2022
I donate platelets/plasma twice a week usually. I avoided surgery by opting for Plasma therapy. It's crucial for people with immune diseases and cancer patients going through Chemo. Ever since my own treatment, I donate plasma, as much as i can.

d-klumpp

macrumors regular
Oct 5, 2010
Chicago
Funny: Any story about Siri or Fortnite generates fervent discussion, but actually doing something good for our neighbors is barely acknowledged here!

BTW, last spring I finally donated Double Reds. Despite donating single units for years with little effect, Double Reds set me back for a week, rendering real bike rides impossible and even turning my mundane 4.5-mile bike commute in traffic into a real slog. I wish I had the fortitude for giving Double, but I'll have to stick to single units.

bg1419

macrumors member
May 7, 2019
I saw this when you sent it last year. You don’t address the fact that the new guidelines still target gay men with laser precision. It just muddies the water.

From your link: “prospective donors who report having a new sexual partner, or more than one sexual partner in the past three months, and anal sex in the past three months, would be deferred”. That encompasses 99% of sexually active gay men.

They also defer anyone on prep, for whom it’s almost impossible for them to contract HIV.

ThomasJL

macrumors 68000
Oct 16, 2008
Thank you very much to the MacRumors Blood Drive organizers and to every single person who donates blood. One of my loved ones' lives was saved because of donated blood. I appreciate all of you.

redcarlsen

macrumors regular
May 22, 2014
I saw this when you sent it last year. You don’t address the fact that the new guidelines still target gay men with laser precision. It just muddies the water.

From your link: “prospective donors who report having a new sexual partner, or more than one sexual partner in the past three months, and anal sex in the past three months, would be deferred”. That encompasses 99% of sexually active gay men.

They also defer anyone on prep, for whom it’s almost impossible for them to contract HIV.
Reads to me as targeting people who engage is risky behavior…
That’s like getting mad as DUI laws, claiming they target young men (most likely to engage in said behavior)
Besides, gay people can get “married” now, right? So what’s the excuse?

Reactions: jacobgkau

newyorksole

macrumors 603
Apr 2, 2008
New York.
I actually got a call yesterday (May 1st) to donate lol. is this week or month special for donating? or is this article and that call just a coincidence?

headlessmike

macrumors 65816
May 16, 2017
Did my 10th donation of whole blood today. Where I live the maximum allowed is 1 unit, 4 times per year (3 for women), so it's a slow and steady race.

I usually visit the blood bank on my morning commute by bike and I'm often their first customer of the day. It's a very peaceful place in the morning and I enjoy going there.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.