Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacBH928

macrumors G3
May 17, 2008
Not really, I doubt they know or care ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

well if they dont care I guess they dont mind I use an adblocker and cancel my no ads subscription

You wish they would switch to Safari, but we don't know if they actually would. Most people would likely stick with what they're already familiar with.

What is toxic software? Does that make you special? Im confused... ?

Toxic software is one that makes you the product not the customer, one that tricks you into agreeing to terms and conditions that you do not understand taking advantage of hard to understand legal lexicon to abuse your basic human rights.

AutomaticApple

Suspended
Nov 28, 2018
Massachusetts
Toxic software is one that makes you the product not the customer, one that tricks you into agreeing to terms and conditions that you do not understand taking advantage of hard to understand legal lexicon to abuse your basic human rights.
What's the big deal? They offer a product that I can use, so that makes me the customer. That isn't an abuse of "basic human rights" in this regard. There are many more urgent and pressing issues out there that actually fall under the category of abusing people's human rights.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
You seemed to be overly worked up about this, almost like you're taking it personal, its not really a big deal. You choose to avoid Chrome, others do not. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

AutomaticApple

Suspended
Nov 28, 2018
Massachusetts
You seemed to be overly worked up about this, almost like you're taking it personal, its not really a big deal. You choose to avoid Chrome, others do not. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Exactly! Let users choose the software that they want.
Samsung has their own internets?
and 3% which is more than Edge and Opera
Samsung has its own Chromium browser for Galaxy devices. I don't think it has 3% market share...

Even then, Edge has way more than 3% market share at the rate it's growing.

MBAir2010

macrumors 604
May 30, 2018
there
Exactly! Let users choose the software that they want.

Samsung has its own Chromium browser for Galaxy devices. I don't think it has 3% market share...

Even then, Edge has way more than 3% market share at the rate it's growing.
BrowserPercentage of Global Desktop Browser Market Share
Google Chrome77.03%
Safari8.87%
Mozilla Firefox7.69%
Microsoft Edge5.83%
Internet Explorer2.15%
Opera2.43%
QQ1.98%
Sogou Explorer1.76%
Yandex0.91%
Brave0.05%

from kinsta (a website that wants something)

maflynn's graphic is more colorful and looks impressive tho
this one is boring, yawn!

Samsung has its own Chromium browser for Galaxy devices. I don't think it has 3% market share..
can a samsung phone owner avoid google apps and the entire google system?

AutomaticApple

Suspended
Nov 28, 2018
Massachusetts
BrowserPercentage of Global Desktop Browser Market Share
Google Chrome77.03%
Safari8.87%
Mozilla Firefox7.69%
Microsoft Edge5.83%
Internet Explorer2.15%
Opera2.43%
QQ1.98%
Sogou Explorer1.76%
Yandex0.91%
Brave0.05%

from kinsta

maflynn's graphic is more colorful and looks impressive tho
this one is boring, yawn!

Reactions: MBAir2010

MBAir2010

macrumors 604
May 30, 2018
there

AutomaticApple:​

that is because Edge is great, works on the iPad faster and links better on the macbook air 2010.
edge has a feature where a tab on the macbook can appear automatically on the ipad, and reverse!
safari gets heavier speed wise every update, but still a good web browser.

MacBH928

macrumors G3
May 17, 2008
What's the big deal? They offer a product that I can use, so that makes me the customer. That isn't an abuse of "basic human rights" in this regard. There are many more urgent and pressing issues out there that actually fall under the category of abusing people's human rights.

You can choose whatever you want as long as you know what is going in the background, most people do not, this is similar to signing a bank loan without reading the fine print. So long as people are aware, the choice can be theirs. Is it their mistake? yes, its their mistake they agreed to a 150+ pages T&A without reading it but I (and others) try to raise awareness.

As for your arguement I could use it for anything else like:
"You choose to avoid cigarettes, others do not. Why stop advertising and charge higher tax, and have minimum age to it ¯\_(ツ)_/¯"

"You choose to avoid cocaine, others do not. Why make it a crime to sell and use it ¯\_(ツ)_/¯"

• Haha
Reactions: maflynn

AutomaticApple

Suspended
Nov 28, 2018
Massachusetts
You can choose whatever you want as long as you know what is going in the background, most people do not, this is similar to signing a bank loan without reading the fine print. So long as people are aware, the choice can be theirs. Is it their mistake? yes, its their mistake they agreed to a 150+ pages T&A without reading it but I (and others) try to raise awareness.

As for your arguement I could use it for anything else like:
"You choose to avoid cigarettes, others do not. Why stop advertising and charge higher tax, and have minimum age to it ¯\_(ツ)_/¯"

"You choose to avoid cocaine, others do not. Why make it a crime to sell and use it ¯\_(ツ)_/¯"
You're comparing apples to oranges.

portland-dude

macrumors regular
Mar 16, 2021
Which isn't what Google Chrome is...

The government would've intervened a looong time ago if that was true, especially considering the fact that Google Chrome had 65.99% of the global browser market in 2020 according to the chart posted above.
security analyst here. you're 100% incorrect. it's well known in the security community that chrome is basically spyware.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.