Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kreasonos

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 4, 2013
M2 MacBook Air here. 8GB/256

Help me understand why the MacRumors website is so choppy/laggy in Chrome? It's a little better in Safari but in Chrome it's maddening. Ironically, on my son's $250.00 Chromebook MacRumors runs smooth as butter...

tensixturtle

macrumors 6502
Sep 30, 2021
Kepler 22b
Could you potentially try clearing the browser cache on the MBA? Or perhaps there is an extension slowing down Chrome that you can try disabling? Sometimes things like that can slow down a browser for one reason or another.

kreasonos

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 4, 2013
Could you potentially try clearing the browser cache on the MBA? Or perhaps there is an extension slowing down Chrome that you can try disabling? Sometimes things like that can slow down a browser for one reason or another.
I googled it and it seems like a lot of people are having the same issues with chrome scrolling.

kreasonos

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 4, 2013
Is it just this website?
No, it varies from site to site. But macrumors is one of the worst for me in terms of choppy scrolling. Ironically, in iOS and iPad OS it’s smooth as butter. But on my MacBook Air it’s terrible. Even in Safari it’s not very smooth.

I’ll try to post a video of it here later today.

kreasonos

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 4, 2013
Get the same in multiple browsers - the site is plagued with ads, many of which bog down the pages.
You know, I was thinking that actually. I was thinking that it could be the ads slowing down the site. I feel like ads kill the usability of so many sites. And sometimes sites will actually freeze up the browser because of the ads.

Reactions: TVreporter

kreasonos

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 4, 2013
There’s definitely a reason people use Adblock. You can also eliminate the ads by supporting the site and upgrading your membership.
Yea, I'm definitely not doing that. But, I did find a good ad blocker chrome extension and WA-LAW, it seems to have solved all the problems I had on this site and other sites too! Thanks for the tip!

The Clark

macrumors 6502a
Dec 11, 2013
Canada
Yea, I'm definitely not doing that. But, I did find a good ad blocker chrome extension and WA-LAW, it seems to have solved all the problems I had on this site and other sites too! Thanks for the tip!
Yeah, I mean I have to throw it out as an option out of respect for the MR staff, but I understand. Glad it’s resolved :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.