Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AlanLowe

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 18, 2022
Hello! First ever MacRumors post. I was looking into ordering a new M2 12"9 Ipad and a new Keyboard, but I thought about saving money and buying a refurbished White Keyboard. I noticed on the website the new Keyboards are "6th Gen", and all previous White Models before today were 5th gen. Is there a difference between models? Thanks!

Benjamin24

macrumors newbie
Oct 22, 2022
Hello! First ever MacRumors post. I was looking into ordering a new M2 12"9 Ipad and a new Keyboard, but I thought about saving money and buying a refurbished White Keyboard. I noticed on the website the new Keyboards are "6th Gen", and all previous White Models before today were 5th gen. Is there a difference between models? Thanks!
Yes there is. Compatibility wise there is no difference, but the keyboard was improved. I spent 3 hours this morning talking with Apple about this very topic.

Reactions: A.R.E.A.M.

KaliYoni

macrumors 68000
Feb 19, 2016
Is there a difference between models?

Yes there is...one place you can read about it is here on MR:

However:

And to clarify, there have not been 6 generations of the Magic Keyboard for iPads. The generation references in the Apple Store website product listings are for iPad model generations. There are two sizes of iPad Magic Keyboard, with the size that fits the 12.9" iPad Pro having an older version and a newer version.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: A.R.E.A.M.

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
The Magic Keyboard for the 12.9” changed with the 5th generation iPad to account for a very slight change in thickness. The keyboard has not changed for the 6th generation.

Reactions: johntw and GarethR

AndyGarton

macrumors member
Sep 15, 2007
Yes there is. Compatibility wise there is no difference, but the keyboard was improved. I spent 3 hours this morning talking with Apple about this very topic.
Any more information on this please? Everything else I’ve read suggests there is no difference … except price. I’ll spend the extra money if I can be sure there is an improvement.

AndyGarton

macrumors member
Sep 15, 2007
To answer my own question - I can confirm there is no difference. I purchased the “sixth generation” version from Apple direct, and the box says “3rd, 4th and 5th generation”. So unless they’ve sent the wrong thing by mistake, it’s the exact same keyboard (only 70 pounds more expensive!).

Last edited:
Reactions: johntw

satchmo

macrumors 603
Aug 6, 2008
Canada
Still baffled why they didn’t feel the need to add a row of function keys with this ‘new’ version.

The keyboards for the two higher tiers (iPads iPad Pro and iPad Air) both are missing this feature while the entry 10th gen keyboard has it. :rolleyes:

AndyGarton

macrumors member
Sep 15, 2007
To reiterate - there is no “new version”. For some strange reason Apple are advertising the keyboard now on their site as being specifically for the 6th generation iPad, but what they actually send you is the one for the “3rd, 4th and 5th generation” (i.e. that is what is actually printed on the box). It’s a dishonest sales practice really, because it can lead people to pay full retail for what they think is something new and different, when they could get the exact same thing from a third party retailer for substantially less.

Reactions: johntw

MrGimper

macrumors G3
Sep 22, 2012
Andover, UK
Been using the “older” 12.9 MKB with my M1 12.9 pro since launch. Zero problems. I think the thickness issue may be a problem if you have a tempered glass screen protector (mentioned a few times since the M1 launch, not down to my experience as I don’t use a protector)

Robdmb

macrumors regular
Nov 5, 2008
Just following up. Has anyone ordered a 6th Gen 12.9 Magic Keyboard and recieved a box that actually said 6th Gen? Or do they still say 3-5 Gen on the box? Thanks.

BugeyeSTI

macrumors 604
Aug 19, 2017
Arizona/Illinois
To answer my own question - I can confirm there is no difference. I purchased the “sixth generation” version from Apple direct, and the box says “3rd, 4th and 5th generation”. So unless they’ve sent the wrong thing by mistake, it’s the exact same keyboard (only 70 pounds more expensive!).
My 6th gen has the same designation on the label..

Boro22

macrumors member
Aug 3, 2023
I am looking at getting a 5th Gen m1 iPad Pro 12.9 iPad.

How many versions of the magic iPad Pro keyboard is there? Want to make sure I get the right one on used market (and not an older version )

sinango

macrumors newbie
Aug 7, 2023

How many versions of the magic iPad Pro keyboard is there? Want to make sure I get the right one on used market (and not an older version )
Absolutely, the 5th Gen M1 iPad Pro 12.9 is a fantastic choice! There are two versions of the Magic Keyboard for iPad Pro. The first fits the 3rd and 4th Gen 12.9 iPad Pro, while the newer version fits the 5th Gen 12.9 model. So, make sure to look for the one that specifically mentions compatibility with the 5th Gen M1 iPad Pro to ensure you're getting the right fit.

jpakira

macrumors newbie
Sep 15, 2023
japan

1. 1st Generation Magic Keyboard for iPad Pro: This was initially released for the 3rd and 4th Gen iPad Pro models. While it's physically compatible with the 5th Gen M1 iPad Pro 12.9", there's a slight thickness difference in the 5th Gen iPad, which means the fit isn't 100% perfect. It'll close, but not as seamlessly as you'd hope.
  2. 2nd Generation Magic Keyboard for iPad Pro: This was specifically designed with the 5th Gen M1 iPad Pro 12.9" in mind. It addresses the thickness variance and ensures a snug fit. If you're getting the 5th Gen M1 iPad Pro, this is the one to hunt for on the used market.

Boro22

macrumors member
Aug 3, 2023
ok the one I have found has a model number of A2480. how do I know which generation this is please?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.