Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sflomenb

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 22, 2011
I use my 2018 iPad Pro with Keyboard Folio extensively. I use it a lot as a tablet, and love having the keyboard there whenever I want to use it. I was very excited to see the new Magic Keyboard, and ordered it when it was available.

I foolishly assumed that the keyboard would fold backwards similar to the keyboard folio. It does not. If you want to use the iPad as a tablet, you’d need to detach it.

I’m not sure I’d like using the iPad naked. Thinking of also keeping the keyboard folio and possibly just detaching from the magic keyboard and attaching to the folio when I want to use as a tablet for extra protection.

What are your thoughts on this? Does it bother anyone? Is anyone not getting the magic keyboard because of this?

AutomaticApple

Suspended
Nov 28, 2018
Massachusetts
I use my 2018 iPad Pro with Keyboard Folio extensively. I use it a lot as a tablet, and love having the keyboard there whenever I want to use it. I was very excited to see the new Magic Keyboard, and ordered it when it was available.

I foolishly assumed that the keyboard would fold backwards similar to the keyboard folio. It does not. If you want to use the iPad as a tablet, you’d need to detach it.

I’m not sure I’d like using the iPad naked. Thinking of also keeping the keyboard folio and possibly just detaching from the magic keyboard and attaching to the folio when I want to use as a tablet for extra protection.

What are your thoughts on this? Does it bother anyone? Is anyone not getting the magic keyboard because of this?
You could also use it in easel mode.

RevTEG

macrumors 65816
Oct 28, 2012
San Jose, Ca
The SwitchEasy coverbuddy might be of interest to you. I have one and will be testing it when my Magic Keyboard arrives tomorrow.

KittyKatta

macrumors 65816
Feb 24, 2011
SoCal
You could also use it in easel mode.
Its weird how “drawing mode” is suddenly being talked about when artists have been doing this for the last two years with the regular Smart Keyboard.

In fact, the Magic Keyboard hinge actually does this much worse because any pressure flattens out the hinge. But the Smart Keyboard has more points of contact so it doesnt flex at all.

9708F73A-9327-4C17-826F-4B4DF460926A.jpeg

Reactions: hipnetic

AutomaticApple

Suspended
Nov 28, 2018
Massachusetts
oh wow this so utterly ridiculous.
I thought so too. 😅
[automerge]1587589815[/automerge]
Except it isn’t. Everything I have read about it indicates that it’s a nightmare to use it on anything other than a straight surface. This will be a lot more versatile.
They call it the "Surface" for a reason. 😂
[automerge]1587589870[/automerge]
Its weird how “drawing mode” is suddenly being talked about when artists have been doing this for the last two years with the regular Smart Keyboard.

In fact, the Magic Keyboard hinge actually does this much worse because any pressure flattens out the hinge. But the Smart Keyboard has more points of contact so it doesnt flex at all.

View attachment 908325
Wait, really? I guess it wasn't popularized until recently.

Cancelled
Sep 30, 2019
I thought so too. 😅
[automerge]1587589815[/automerge]

They call it the "Surface" for a reason. 😂
[automerge]1587589870[/automerge]

Wait, really? I guess it wasn't popularized until recently.
im pretty sure it was recent too, I looked up and nobody has done this until late 2019

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
I actually like it like this as it’s dead’s easy to just take the tablet off and use as a tablet and when I use it as a tablet will be at home more often than not anyway so using it naked i don’t see as an issue

profets

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2009

I frequently use the iPad naked (without any case/keyboard on it), as well as any other devices. I really dislike my devices getting bulky with cases or heavier than they need to be.

I used the Keyboard Folio with my 12.9”, but never folded it back, just because of how bulky and heavy it became to use as a tablet. 100% this is much less of an issue with the 11” model though for the short stretch that I had one.

My thoughts on this Magic Keyboard? I love it for the fact that I can take the iPad off with a single hand and use it as a casual tablet much more easily now, not to mention that the Magic Keyboard sits upright like a stand for when I want to place the keyboard back. However, I kept thinking about this with the 11” and wonder given it being a smaller tablet if it would be as important.

In regards to the iPad on the keyboard tipped back for drawing - do people prefer drawing with the iPad upright on a slight angle? I’ve always just put it flat on a surface for writing.

Cancelled
Sep 30, 2019
I frequently use the iPad naked (without any case/keyboard on it), as well as any other devices. I really dislike my devices getting bulky with cases or heavier than they need to be.

I used the Keyboard Folio with my 12.9”, but never folded it back, just because of how bulky and heavy it became to use as a tablet. 100% this is much less of an issue with the 11” model though for the short stretch that I had one.

My thoughts on this Magic Keyboard? I love it for the fact that I can take the iPad off with a single hand and use it as a casual tablet much more easily now, not to mention that the Magic Keyboard sits upright like a stand for when I want to place the keyboard back. However, I kept thinking about this with the 11” and wonder given it being a smaller tablet if it would be as important.

In regards to the iPad on the keyboard tipped back for drawing - do people prefer drawing with the iPad upright on a slight angle? I’ve always just put it flat on a surface for writing.
writing is different from drawing, I always like drawing at a angle its more precise, while writing I am so used to writing in flat. Best example is why people like 24fps for movies than 48fps or even 30fps because they are so used to it that way; but when it comes to home videos or indie they like 30fps or even 60fps feel

Reactions: profets

Precursor

Cancelled
Sep 29, 2015
Istanbul
Except it isn’t. Everything I have read about it indicates that it’s a nightmare to use it on anything other than a straight surface. This will be a lot more versatile.

"This will be a lot more versatile"? Sorry but that's the most ridiculous thing I've read today.

c14nhl

macrumors 6502
Oct 30, 2008
Edinburgh
I use my iPad for writing notes a lot.

Instead of the flipping of the case hack that has been shared often, I just take the iPad out of the MK, close the case then place the iPad on top of the closed case. This works perfect for me.

You can force a very slight wobble if you touch it in the exact spot but I‘ve been able to avoid it when writing.

This is a compromise. I’ve got the standard folio and Smart Keyboard Folio cases, they work much better for tablet use clearly as you can just flip the front of the case to the back. I’m willing to live with this compromise for the benefits of the standard of this keyboard and trackpad.

I would probably still travel with the standard folio case if I knew for definite I wouldn’t require a keyboard on my trip.

Reactions: DiamondarBoss

1rottenapple

macrumors 601
Apr 21, 2004
Ha!

This is the predominant reason I didn’t order one.
Ya in the other Thread I started people made good points. They sacrificed lightness for stability which is what the magic keyboard is praised for laptop stability. But you can flip it back too much or it’ll flip over. So there’s compromises to make it work.

zhenya

macrumors 604
Jan 6, 2005
Rather than flipping the entire setup over to have a flatter drawing angle, simply set it up like this

I’ve used this position for taking notes next to my iMac most of the day, as I’ve previously used a separate stand for, and it is rock-solid. Takes only a second to switch modes, no slipping or weak points at all.

26c9c205dfda9c71dfb90f299b6da214.jpg

Reactions: DiamondarBoss

Astonish_IT

macrumors regular
Sep 1, 2017
I "love" the design of the Magic Keyboard, at least, aesthetically, but I would never order one because of the reason you have stated as I use my iPad MOSTLY for drawing or use it as a tablet. But if i was someone who wrote a lot on the keyboard and used rarely for drawing or in tablet mode, then i would buy it. Other than that, I would look elsewhere as I would hate using the iPad naked because i am quite clumsy so I am still hoping that Logitech brings their Combo touch keyboards to the pro series of iPad as well, always loved the surface style stands and detachable keyboards.

Enclavean

macrumors 6502
Jun 14, 2018

You're planning on carrying 2 keyboard cases? I think you might just wanna admit that the magic keyboard's compromise is too big for you and return it. I would absolutely love to go out and buy it but I'm not putting my naked iPad on the table in the lecture halls nor am I willing to carry 2 cases

Reactions: KittyKatta

mrbobbo

macrumors member
Oct 15, 2007
I have a Magic Keyboard, the aluminum kind that Apple has been selling for years, and Magic Trackpad, and Smart Cover (to protect the screen and use as a stand). Keyboard is top notch and full size. Together they are cheaper than the new ipad keyboard trackpad cover, and you have no compromises.

i guess there’s a use case where you need it all together when you move around. But most of us do our desk work at a desk for a period of time, and that’s where my two Magic’s live... on my desk. i can take them to another desk if I think I’ll be using them that way for a while.

If I we’re needing keyboard and trackpad most of the time, I’d buy a MacBook Air

My iPad is very portable without all that extra stuff, and I take notes with it using Nebo and Pencil. So I rarely need the desktop configuration away from my home office

PS I have a mini 5.

I think there’s a use case for the new combined cover keyboard and trackpad, and iPad pro, but I think it’s for a much narrower audience than Apple marketing leads us to believe.

Reactions: rogueGT

Uofmtiger

macrumors 68020
Dec 11, 2010
Memphis
Just looking into this because I am considering a new 12.9 iPad (though the more I research, it might be best to wait to see if they announce a new one before the end of the year).

This is the same concern I have with this keyboard case. I was hoping it could fold back like their older case I use with my old 9.7 Pro. I can't imagine having to take it off the case and just leave the case sitting somewhere every time I want to use tablet mode.

Also, the weight of this thing really makes it for someone that is using it as a laptop replacement. For me, the screen is too small for it to replace my 15 inch MBP, so I guess I will look for alternative keyboard cases. I mainly use the iPad as a tablet rather than a laptop replacement, but like someone said, if it isn't for me, no one is making me buy it. ;)

Seanm87

macrumors 68020
Oct 10, 2014
I think the idea is you detach it from the case when you want to use it as a tablet and reattach when you want to use it as a "laptop".

Reactions: Broadus
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.