Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

judyg951

macrumors 6502
Sep 11, 2016
sunny So. Ca.
Are you using the USB cable to connect/pair it to your mini? The pairing should be done by connecting the lightning cable. Then you can remove the cable.
This trackpad is Bluetooth only. No way to attach a cable, but then it’s really old. It connects to my laptop though

BotchQue

macrumors 6502
Dec 22, 2019
Wasn't it the Mini, and not the MT2, that had other issues with BluTooth? (I have neither, but seem to recall reading that somewhere).

meson

macrumors 6502
Apr 29, 2014
The old model works great and is fully supported by modern versions of MacOS. I used mine until January, and it is still in my desk.

Here's something to try. With the old battery powered trackpad, make sure Bluetooth is turned on (on older systems you may have to turn on pairing mode as well). On the old trackpad press and hold the power button. Eventually the trackpad should enter pairing mode where the LED flashes. Keep holding the power button and it should successfully pair.

Note, if the trackpad is paired with another Mac and that Mac's bluetooth is turned on and within radio communication distance, the trackpad will not pair with a new machine. In that case, unpair the trackpad from the previous Mac or make sure that Mac's bluetooth is off when trying to pair with a new machine.

The pairing process with those old trackpads was pretty cumbersome, but once up and running, they were very reliable, at least for me.

Reactions: judyg951

judyg951

macrumors 6502
Sep 11, 2016
sunny So. Ca.
The old model works great and is fully supported by modern versions of MacOS. I used mine until January, and it is still in my desk.

Here's something to try. With the old battery powered trackpad, make sure Bluetooth is turned on (on older systems you may have to turn on pairing mode as well). On the old trackpad press and hold the power button. Eventually the trackpad should enter pairing mode where the LED flashes. Keep holding the power button and it should successfully pair.

Note, if the trackpad is paired with another Mac and that Mac's bluetooth is turned on and within radio communication distance, the trackpad will not pair with a new machine. In that case, unpair the trackpad from the previous Mac or make sure that Mac's bluetooth is off when trying to pair with a new machine.

The pairing process with those old trackpads was pretty cumbersome, but once up and running, they were very reliable, at least for me.
That finally did it. I didn't think it was going to pair! Thanks.

Reactions: meson
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.