Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Donnation

Suspended
Original poster
Nov 2, 2014
A year later, multiple updates, a new OS released, and mail is still awful. I honestly cannot believe that Apple has seemingly just given up on it. The only account I have that works correctly is my iCloud account (go figure). My exchange and gMail still suffer from the same issues they did with iOS 13. Apple seemingly only cares if their mail is working correctly even though iCloud is never used by businesses, if used at all.

I thought I’d give it a go again with the new GM of iOS 14, but upon using it all day yesterday and last night, the same issues occur. No mail showing up, notifications showing up way later after the mail is showing in the app, or not getting notifications at all and having to do multiple refreshes. What a shame, a great app totally ruined by the dumpster fire that was iOS 13. Oh well, back to Spark I guess.

Wickedkitten

macrumors newbie
Dec 6, 2002
Yeah, I ditched Mail for Airmail a while back. It's ok if you just need basic email functions but for the most part, it's too basic

ian6969

macrumors member
Dec 31, 2019
Strange that Mail seems to vary so much between users. I have several Outlook and one Gmail account, accessed on two iOS 13 devices and a Catalina iMac. No issues at all, everything comes in at a similar time and stays synced. Only slight issue is that the audio notification sometimes comes in a couple of minutes late on the iMac - but no issues with the mail itself, so it doesn't bother me at all.

Donnation

Suspended
Original poster
Nov 2, 2014
I've asked in a few recent threads if Mail has been updated or any bugs fixed in the latest macOS Big Sur.

One thing that really bothers me is how Mail only notifies new mail after a long delay, sometimes up to 30 minutes after receiving the new message(s).

That problem still persists.

• Sad
Reactions: Unsupported

ghostface147

macrumors 601
May 28, 2008
As someone mentioned, it’s crazy how it varies between people. Since 13.1 or so, I’ve had zero issues with Mail. Mail always shows up on time for me and I get notifications on time as well. Mail notifications on my Apple Watch are sometimes delayed though. I don’t use signatures, so I can’t speak on that. iPhone X using iCloud, Outlook, and Exchange via Office365 on iOS 14 GM.

Reactions: 0128672

tkwolf

macrumors 6502
Apr 11, 2012
I have been using the native mail for years and have just switched to Spark today. Cannot believe how behind the mail app is.

Unsupported

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2020
a land far, far away...
As someone mentioned, it’s crazy how it varies between people. Since 13.1 or so, I’ve had zero issues with Mail. Mail always shows up on time for me and I get notifications on time as well. Mail notifications on my Apple Watch are sometimes delayed though. I don’t use signatures, so I can’t speak on that. iPhone X using iCloud, Outlook, and Exchange via Office365 on iOS 14 GM.
Maybe I'm on the wrong thread, but I couldn't find much, if anything, on updates/bug fixes on macOS Big Sur.

I barely use Mail on my iPhone...

Remington Steel

macrumors 6502
Dec 26, 2016
I've asked in a few recent threads if Mail has been updated or any bugs fixed in the latest macOS Big Sur.

One thing that really bothers me is how Mail only notifies new mail after a long delay, sometimes up to 30 minutes after receiving the new message(s).
Same here. No problem with the Gmail app because I get instant notifications on it. Something to do with the "push" settings on the native email app.

Reactions: Dwalls90

Ron21

macrumors 6502a
Sep 6, 2007
It actually seemed to work better for me on iOS14 beta 1 but now it's basically the same as iOS 13, all the same issues.

ATC

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2008
Canada
I had the same issue as you OP even going back to iOS 12. With 3 email accounts (iCloud, outlook.com and gmail), it never worked properly. Earlier this year I removed outlook and gmail from my phone, and Mail has worked great (with just an iCloud account). I then (months later) added back my outlook and gmail accounts and for whatever reason this time all 3 accounts are working well.

There must be a bug in Mail that doesn't impact all users, or maybe only impacts them sometimes. Now that it's working as it should for me, I'll be a little nervous later today when I install iOS 14.

akuma13

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2006
I've moved on to Outlook. The Mail app has been on life support for years now.

Last edited:
Reactions: one more

Cancelled
Apr 16, 2020
Another same here. No issues at all using iCloud and Exchange via MS365 on iPadOS and iPhone xR.

one more

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2015
Earth
I am genuinely surprised that people still hold on and actually want to use Apple Mail in 2020. There are so many better alternatives!

DinkThifferent

macrumors 6502a
Oct 18, 2018
The Netherlands
Perhaps you didn't read my previous comment(s)?

Unsupported said:

Sometimes there's no beep or banner for way more than 4 seconds.

I'm referring to Mail in Catalina, and before..

Okay, well the same thing happens to me in Catalina (with Gmail) sometimes and I really don't care. If I hear a beep I just maximize Mail for a second and then minimize it again or use the Hot Corner function in the upper right corner to show the notification center. Why do you think this is a Mail issue, it could be a notification issue.

I get my daily 1 PM reminder about 3 seconds later on my Apple Watch then on my iMac and I'm fine with that.

Look, if Mail wasn't downloading or sending your e-mail at all I would be annoyed too but this is just a tiny annoyance

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
I tried using Mail with iOS 14, and it messed up my work mail. Everything shows a date of 1979. If i remove the account and add it again, it works for the day and then reverts back to 1979. Mail will show red badges but, it doesn’t list any new mail, which is very frustrating. For me, Canary has been working much better.

Unsupported

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2020
a land far, far away...
... but this is just a tiny annoyance

Maybe for you it is just that, but while I'm doing other stuff with Mail hidden and mail is getting checked every 5 minutes I'd really like to know if new mail has arrived without me having to put up with being annoyed, or find a workaround.

Steve-Jobs-quotes-7.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.