Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
Are you using the default display resolution?
I am.

Thanks. I see the display resolution isn't even in a list now. There, of course, isn't a 1920x1080.

I guess 1680x1050 will be slightly better and I can still read everything.

Last edited:

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX
I am.

Thanks. I see the display resolution isn't even in a list now. There, of course, isn't a 1920x1080.

I guess 1680x1050 will be slightly better and I can still read everything.
I think macOS presents the "displayed resolution" instead of the displays physical resolution.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
I think macOS presents the "displayed resolution" instead of the displays physical resolution.
I hadn't really messed with the system settings since I got to macOS Sonoma, so it was an interesting lesson. Rather than spend loads of time on minutiae like that, I wish they'd fix the bugs that been a problem for so long, and make the system more attractive for games developers.

JordanNZ

macrumors 6502a
Apr 29, 2004
Auckland, New Zealand
I hadn't really messed with the system settings since I got to macOS Sonoma, so it was an interesting lesson. Rather than spend loads of time on minutiae like that, I wish they'd fix the bugs that been a problem for so long, and make the system more attractive for games developers.
It's an issue with steam, not macOS. Valve really need to spend a bit more time on their app...
Leave your display at 'default'...

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
It's an issue with steam, not macOS. Valve really need to spend a bit more time on their app...
Leave your display at 'default'...
I wasn't considering that as a macOS bug, but just that they spent so much time to re-work System Preferences, they could have been doing something that would be more advantageous.

Steam has plenty of problems, although it's slowly being improved. Part of the problem with reporting Apple's machines is Valve's prejudice toward Apple, and Apple's prejudice against gaming.

galad

macrumors 6502
Apr 22, 2022
The api to check the screen size, and the high-dpi setting, have been unchanged since 2012, so if a game or stream doesn't support retina resolutions after 12 years, probably they will never.

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX
The api to check the screen size, and the high-dpi setting, have been unchanged since 2012, so if a game or stream doesn't support retina resolutions after 12 years, probably they will never.
Are there any macOS native 3D games that actually support high-dpi?

Homy

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 14, 2006
Sweden

Nugat Trailers

macrumors 6502
Dec 23, 2021
Pretty decent chance of BG3 on iOS, I'd say.

On the iOS app store, there's BG1 and 2, Icewind Dale and Planescape Torment, plus NWN.

As for titles published by Larian on the app store, there's Divinity Original Sin 2.

Reactions: bousozoku and Homy

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX
Pretty decent chance of BG3 on iOS, I'd say.

On the iOS app store, there's BG1 and 2, Icewind Dale and Planescape Torment, plus NWN.

As for titles published by Larian on the app store, there's Divinity Original Sin 2.
I wonder if they would wait till their next project is done to circle back for an iPad version (even though the game runs like crap on 8GB systems).

MRMSFC

macrumors 6502
Jul 6, 2023
Okay, not Mac related but WOW! 200,000 negative reviews in a few days. The game was so praised but they found another way to disappoint gamers. They totally bricked the game for so many people.

Sony deciding to shoot themselves in the foot.

Actually considering the magnitude, it’s more like they decided to take a flying leap onto a landmine.

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX
Yeah they walked it back. The interesting part is the game was supposed to have that requirement from the beginning and it isn't clear why it was shipped with it disabled. Too late to put the genie back in the bottle though.

Reactions: Homy

MRMSFC

macrumors 6502
Jul 6, 2023
Yeah they walked it back. The interesting part is the game was supposed to have that requirement from the beginning and it isn't clear why it was shipped with it disabled. Too late to put the genie back in the bottle though.
The news sources I saw said it was disabled because of the surprising amount of players at launch.

They quickly changed their mind after 260k bad reviews.
It always warms my heart when a consumer revolt wins.

Reactions: Irishman

Homy

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 14, 2006
Sweden
M4 is here and Hades II is coming soon to Mac. The Early Access for Win is here and there is an equally large depot on Steam for Mac.

Skärmavbild 2024-05-07 kl. 17.49.52.png

Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous - A Dance of Masks DLC is coming on June 13 to Mac.

Last edited:

Homy

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 14, 2006
Sweden
Stellaris: The Machine Age is released for Mac.

Empire of the Undergrowth leaves early access and will be released for Mac June 7.

Great Toy Showdown is coming to Apple Silicon in Oct.

Destroyer: The U-Boat Hunter has a native AS port.

Inkulinati has a native AS port.

Homy

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 14, 2006
Sweden
The classic Marathon by Aleph One team is now on Steam free to play. Marathon 2 and Infinity will come soon.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.