Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

poiihy

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Aug 22, 2014

MarvinHC

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2014
Belgium
Finally a useful reply! Thanks

I have the same hard drive as said in that thread; Seagate Momentus 500gb 7200rpm “ST9500420ASG”.

So it looks like my hard drive is one of the noisier ones.

Well then throw it out and get a S... I mean different HDD :D

GP-SE

macrumors 6502
Feb 27, 2013
Get a Western Digital Scorpio Blue, they are very very quiet.
most 7200 RPM drives will be noisy, the Blue Drives from Western Digital are 5400RPM and very quiet.

TechZeke

macrumors 68020
Jul 29, 2012
Dallas, TX
The OP is too stubborn to get an SSD. You'll have better luck making that suggestion to an Easter Island statue :D

This thread is comical. This is like complaining that a HDD is too slow then getting mad that everyone suggests getting an SSD. I really don't know what the OP was expecting.

The only way is to replace it with a quieter drive. At that point, you might as well buy an SSD.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
OP wrote above:
[[ Ugh I KNOW ALL THAT already, FORGET THE SSDS!
Is there nothing that can be done at all? ]]

Probably not.

The responses you have received in this thread have been quite rational.
I, too, would recommend an SSD as your BEST option.

But you really have THREE choices:
1. Replace the 7200rpm drive with a 5400rpm drive, which may be considerably slower
2. Get an SSD, which will be NOISELESS and EXTREMELY fast and responsive,
or
3. Stick with what you have now.

Those are your choices.
No other choices are possible.

Which do you choose?

hallux

macrumors 68040
Apr 25, 2012
I mean just the whoosh sound, not including the actuator movement. I think it is the friction with the air.

The "whoosh" is likely the whir of the motor spinning the platters. I find it HIGHLY unlikely that you're hearing the platters cutting through the air inside a nearly airtight cast-iron and stamped-steel box.

As was noted by other posters, different drives make different amounts of noise. I do PC support and have had people complain about how noisy the drive in their new computer (or the new drive I put in thier computer to replace a failing/failed one) is compared to what they had. Or, some will say they think it's dying because it's so noisy, in some cases they're right but many times it's just the difference in model.

cjmillsnun

macrumors 68020
Aug 28, 2009
The "whoosh" is likely the whir of the motor spinning the platters. I find it HIGHLY unlikely that you're hearing the platters cutting through the air inside a nearly airtight cast-iron and stamped-steel box.

As was noted by other posters, different drives make different amounts of noise. I do PC support and have had people complain about how noisy the drive in their new computer (or the new drive I put in thier computer to replace a failing/failed one) is compared to what they had. Or, some will say they think it's dying because it's so noisy, in some cases they're right but many times it's just the difference in model.

Hard drives are far from airtight. They have a vent and a filter to deliberately move air through them to keep the air inside them at the same pressure as the ambient.

That said as, unlike a fan, there are no blades, the air noise would be minimal, and it is likely the motor.

conifer

macrumors regular
Oct 30, 2014
I have a HGST Travelstar 7200 rpm 1 tb drive that is pretty quiet. Before that I had a Scorpio Black 7200 750gb --also pretty quiet.

viva la platters.

jkim3691

macrumors 6502a
Oct 8, 2011
I'm really curious as to why an SSD is out of the question. They're cheap nowadays and so much faster than a HDD. I could never go back to a HDD.

poiihy

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Aug 22, 2014
I'm really curious as to why an SSD is out of the question. They're cheap nowadays and so much faster than a HDD. I could never go back to a HDD.

The price per gigabyte is not low enough. Also I wouldn't want to upgrade anything else before replacing the built-in keyboard (some keys don't work). I am fine with the speed of a hard disk drive. SSDs are too expensive and I don't need one. RAM is more useful.

This is the last time I am going to explain. SSDs are out of the question so DON'T MENTION ANYTHING ABOUT THEM! 19/20th of the replies are useless "get an ssd" posts. -_- it really pisses me off.

redheeler

macrumors G3
Oct 17, 2014
Colorado, USA
The price per gigabyte is not low enough. Also I wouldn't want to upgrade anything else before replacing the built-in keyboard (some keys don't work). I am fine with the speed of a hard disk drive. SSDs are too expensive and I don't need one. RAM is more useful.

This is the last time I am going to explain. SSDs are out of the question so DON'T MENTION ANYTHING ABOUT THEM! 19/20th of the replies are useless "get an ssd" posts. -_- it really pisses me off.

Both my Mac minis make hard drive noise coming from the 5400 RPM HDD, and I've used 13" mid 2012 MBPs with audible noise coming from their stock 5400 RPM HDDs as well. Concerning the 7200 RPM stock Seagate drive in my 2010 27" iMac, let's just say the sooner it gets replaced by an SSD the better.

My external 3 TB 7200 RPM Thunderbolt HDD, the one I use on a daily basis, is the loudest one of all.

Every HDD makes noise. I suggest you cope with the noise and stop complaining. This thread needs to come to an end.

BTW, an SSD will improve system speed more than upgrading the RAM past 4 GB unless your usage is very RAM intensive.

poiihy

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Aug 22, 2014
Both my Mac minis make hard drive noise coming from the 5400 RPM HDD, and I've used 13" mid 2012 MBPs with audible noise coming from their stock 5400 RPM HDDs as well. Concerning the 7200 RPM stock Seagate drive in my 2010 27" iMac, let's just say the sooner it gets replaced by an SSD the better.

My external 3 TB 7200 RPM Thunderbolt HDD, the one I use on a daily basis, is the loudest one of all.

Every HDD makes noise. I suggest you cope with the noise and stop complaining. This thread needs to come to an end.

BTW, an SSD will improve system speed more than upgrading the RAM past 4 GB unless your usage is very RAM intensive.

ugh yes I KNOW that all HDDs make noise!!I want to make it QUIETER, not nesessarily SILENT

poiihy

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Aug 22, 2014
Ear plugs are your cheapest option..................
Geez, quit whining and deal with it.

Putting ear plugs is not making the hard drive quieter. Dealing with it also does not make it quieter. None of your replies answer my question. If you don't have an answer, then JUST DON'T REPLY!!!

redheeler

macrumors G3
Oct 17, 2014
Colorado, USA
Putting ear plugs is not making the hard drive quieter. Dealing with it also does not make it quieter. None of your replies answer my question. If you don't have an answer, then JUST DON'T REPLY!!!

Gladly, since posting in this thread is clearly a waste of my time. Good luck finding a solution to the decades-old problem of excess hard drive noise other than the ones that have already been suggested to you.

poiihy

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Aug 22, 2014
Just forget it. You people are no help. Only thing i got was some links to some articles.

poiihy

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Aug 22, 2014
No, we tried to help but you shot them all down.

I highly suggest that you don't try to look for help anymore.

Your "help" wasn't helpful at all as I clearly said an SSD was out of the question. I asked how to make the hard drive itself quieter, not make my computer quieter. Replacing the hard drive with an SSD is not making the hard drive quieter.

----------

I looked at passmark hdd benchmarks, and it seems that the Samsung spinpoint has a score of 615 while the seagate momentus has a score of 464. This is surprising!
I'll do some testing with both drives in a usb 3 enclosure later, though I don't know how well the disk speed test would do when the drives have data in them.

yjchua95

macrumors 604
Apr 23, 2011
GVA, KUL, MEL (current), ZQN
Your "help" wasn't helpful at all as I clearly said an SSD was out of the question. I asked how to make the hard drive itself quieter, not make my computer quieter. Replacing the hard drive with an SSD is not making the hard drive quieter.

Sorry, the only answer to make it quieter is to throw it away or get an SSD.

No other solutions available.

Take it, or leave it. Suck it up and live with a noisy drive. No solutions are available other than a complete replacement of the drive with a non-spinning drive.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.