Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iMacker20

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 12, 2020
I have an Optiarc AD-7170A in my 3,1MacPro that I am pretty sure should be able to write to DVD-RAM. I know Apple seems to hate the format. Their firmware usually blocks this format from being used in their drives. I have recently built a program called binflash that says it can flash the firmware of the drive. My theory is if I flash the firmware with something that isn't made by Apple the drive will work with DVD-RAM. I had success with a MacBook Pro's drive by flashing it. So far I haven't had luck with this drive. When I do try to flash the firmware I am told this error message when attempting to flash the drive:

"The firmware file expects a different bootcode on your drive. You are not allowed to continue.
Firmware is for a different drive"

Has anyone else been successful with making this drive read and write DVD-RAM disc?

Attached is the program known as binflash in the zip file. It is called necflash.i386.
Here is the only firmware I was able to find for this drive: https://www.firmwarehq.com/Optiarc/AD-7170A/files.html

Attachments

• necflash.i386.zip
    43.8 KB · Views: 111

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
Have you thought about replacing the burner with a different drive?
I have had good luck with various LG models over the years. I also like ASUS optical drives.

The third-party drive would NOT have any Apple firmware. Can't say for certain that it would help with your DVD-RAM question, but it certainly won't be a drive firmware issue at that point. (I have no experience with DVD-RAM)
Here's an ASUS brand drive that I have used before - https://smile.amazon.com/Asus-Serial-ATA-Internal-DRW-24B1ST-included/dp/B0033Z2BAQ/
An SATA interface drive would be noticeably faster than your Optiarc IDE drive. All you need is an SATA cable to an available SATA port on your MacPro.

Last edited:

iMacker20

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 12, 2020
Have you though about replacing the burner with a different drive?
I have had good luck with various LG models over the years. I also like ASUS optical drives.

The third-party drive would NOT have any Apple firmware. Can't say for certain that it would help with your DVD-RAM question, but it certainly won't be a drive firmware issue at that point. (I have no experience with DVD-RAM)
Here's an ASUS brand drive that I have used before - https://smile.amazon.com/Asus-Serial-ATA-Internal-DRW-24B1ST-included/dp/B0033Z2BAQ/
An SATA interface drive would be noticeably faster than your Optiarc IDE drive. All you need is an SATA cable to an available SATA port on your MacPro.
I suppose I could buy a new one. The ASUS drive could be usable with a PATA to SATA adapter. My Mac Pro has PATA for the optical drive bay.

Kaspin

macrumors member
Jan 15, 2015
The 3,1 has 2 extra sata ports on the logic board behind the fans that you can use for things in the optical drive bay.

Reactions: DeltaMac

The Real Applemeister

macrumors newbie
Oct 17, 2023
I've got a different problem with my Optiarc (a.k.a. SuperDrive) – it can write DVD-RWs, but is incapable of reading ones which already contain data. After around 20 secs of attempting to establish what the disc is, it simply states that I've inserted a blank DVD-RW!

Searching for the solution online brought me to this thread, and whilst it hasn't solved my problem, I thought I'd mention that whilst flashing the firmware, and attempting to change the booktype of DVD-RW to DVD-ROM, the drive has gained DVD-RAM writing capability (see screenshot).

I also had the same pitfalls as the OP with necflash claiming the firmware I was using didn't contain the expected bootcode for the drive, but eventually I found a version which actually works; I have attached it here as a ZIP file (102cbt_rpc1.bin.zip)

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2023-10-17 at 15.24.22.png
    Screen Shot 2023-10-17 at 15.24.22.png
    103.3 KB · Views: 59
  • 102cbt_rpc1.bin.zip
    737.9 KB · Views: 43
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.