Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

unlimitedx

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 15, 2010
Man the new maps looking really good, and with turn by turn navi AND crowd sourcing. Looks like waze will replace waze for me

bilibug

macrumors 6502
Aug 27, 2008
Stockton NJ
Will it work on the iPhone 4?

That is my question too. Turn by Turn navigation seems to be SIRI based. What about older devices that don't have SIRI? Also, does the system-wide dictation feature only work on newer devices (New iPad, iPhone 4s+)?

I'm a bit disappointed that they dropped support for a 2 year old, $800+ device (iPad 1).

Lindenhurst

macrumors 6502a
Aug 24, 2011
Looks like the voice turn by turn is for iPhone 4s and the new iPhone because of siri. So those who have IP4 are not getting it. Figures.

----------

That is my question too. Turn by Turn navigation seems to be SIRI based. What about older devices that don't have SIRI? Also, does the system-wide dictation feature only work on newer devices (New iPad, iPhone 4s+)?

I'm a bit disappointed that they dropped support for a 2 year old, $800+ device (iPad 1).

You and me both, especially since the hardware will run it. All about the $$$ aint it!

TLewis

macrumors 65816
Sep 19, 2007
Did Apple mention the source of maps data? It's going to suck (in the US) if they're using openstreetmap.

Also, it would be nice if the maps were accessible from a web browser, even for icloud-only users.

nabechu

macrumors 6502
Dec 25, 2008
I think there will still be voice read-outs on the iPhone 4, just not speaking to the maps and askin for directions by voice.

Taken from the small print on Apple's site:
Some features may not be available in all countries or all areas. Flyover and turn-by-turn navigation will be available only on iPhone 4S and iPad 2 or later. Cellular data charges may apply.

nfl46

macrumors G3
Oct 5, 2008
Its looks wayyyyyy better than those screenshots we saw a few days ago. I figured that wouldn't be the final look.

GREAT JOB, Apple.

Maps on that new 4" iPhone is going to be sweeeeet.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.