Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dmk1974

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 16, 2008
I just received and opened a brand new 13" M3 MacBook Air 16/512. Bought from Best Buy and was delivered by FedEx. Corrugated Apple carton looked intact (had that zipper pull down the middle) and the original white box had the 2 paper tape pulls intact.

Upon opening, The plastic wrap was in place, but not as sticky to peel back to get to the laptop. And it had the tissue piece between screen and keyboard perfectly in place from what I could tell. But flipping it over, there's a little piece of what looks like masking tape near one of the feet. Never seen this before. Was it some QC unit? Should I be concerned? Aside from that, it looks fine from what I can tell. Has anyone else ever seen this on a NEW MacBook? Thanks!

1713479540825.png

1713479307326.png

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: Bigwaff

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
The paper tape pulls being intact should mean that nothing was tampered with. But you also said the "tissue wrap was in place." MacBooks don't come wrapped in tissue. They come wrapped in thin but firm plastic sheeting, so that's a bit of a worry.

In any case, if you are concerned, talk to Best Buy.

dmk1974

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 16, 2008
The paper tape pulls being intact should mean that nothing was tampered with. But you also said the "tissue wrap was in place." MacBooks don't come wrapped in tissue. They come wrapped in thin but firm plastic sheeting, so that's a bit of a worry.

In any case, if you are concerned, talk to Best Buy.
I mis-identified it. It was the typical whispy thin plastic wrap. The layer between the screen and keys is more tissue like.

Reactions: chabig

MacDaddyPanda

macrumors 6502a
Dec 28, 2018
Murica
lol, that just looks like tape that kept the parts covered that was part of the pallet of bottom cases that probably shipped to the manufacturer.

Reactions: dmk1974
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.