Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cubsnlinux

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 10, 2015
I have a regular black 7+ and went to the Apple Store to checkout the Jet Black iPhone. They have a JB 7 on display. The front side of both JB and Black phones look exactly identical in finish. The back side is where things get interesting. The JB iPhone feels awesome to grip and hold but it is a finger print magnet. The Apple Store employees were constantly wiping it with a microfiber cloth. I tried to wipe off the finger prints by rubbing it on my shirt but they were stubborn. It looks absolutely dirty with those prints as they show very easily with all the light reflecting off of its surface. There were no scratch marks on the JB display model but I can imagine that any scratches will show very easily than on the regular Black version.

I have an option to pickup a JB 7+ next week but I decided to pass and keep my regular Black 7+.

cubsnlinux

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 10, 2015
Here's my Hierarchy: New/nice and or clean jet black > Matt black > Jet black > the rest
Agreed. A super clean Jet Black phone is the nicest looking of the lot. But it only looks good in pictures and in display. For day to day use the regular Black model is the way to go.

sekazi

macrumors 6502
Jan 12, 2012
I like the contrast of a really dark black and blue so I went Jet Black and Sea Blue.

bnekic

macrumors 65816
Sep 19, 2013
Cleveland, OH
Happy I went with black as well, jet black gets smudged up in seconds and after a few days already has little scratches.

MikeKlump

macrumors regular
Oct 1, 2015
Honestly I think the JB looks much nicer and the fact that it has so much better grip also seems great. I would prefer to have the JB but just me personally knowing myself I know that any tiny little scratch on the back would drive me nuts. I use a case regardless but when taking my old iPhone 6s out of it's case every now and then I would admire the device and if I had the JB any little scratch that I know would always be there would drive me nuts. I am very happy with my Matte Black 7 Plus at the moment.

I can't really fault anyone for getting the JB though. I think it's a really great looking device and I've been seeing a billboard off the 405N here in LA lately that has been making me question my decision daily lol.

phobos512

macrumors regular
Mar 26, 2012
USA
I like the contrast of a really dark black and blue so I went Jet Black and Sea Blue.

I'm doing the same. Has your case shipped yet? My case was due to be delivered first but my phone should be here Thursday/Friday and my case has seen no movement yet (it's due for delivery this week but stuck on Processing still).

sekazi

macrumors 6502
Jan 12, 2012
I'm doing the same. Has your case shipped yet? My case was due to be delivered first but my phone should be here Thursday/Friday and my case has seen no movement yet (it's due for delivery this week but stuck on Processing still).
Not yet. It says 9-20 to 9-27 and still in processing. I was surprised it sold so fast. If my iPhone ends up shipping sooner like others have I will end up having to go to the Apple store and picking up hopefully a silicone or a leather case if they even have one of those.

cubsnlinux

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 10, 2015
Why do matte Black owners keep starting threads like this but not the JB owners?
Because Apple has put the main focus on JB and with equal money JB seems to be the no brainer for someone looking to purchase a black 7. But for folks like me it doesn't appear so. If Apple instead promoted the matte black version then you would'nt have seen all these threads.

Reactions: navier

cubsnlinux

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 10, 2015
If you are putting a case then both models will look exactly the same. Like I said the difference is only on the back. So you will get the same contrast with both.

phobos512

macrumors regular
Mar 26, 2012
USA
Not yet. It says 9-20 to 9-27 and still in processing. I was surprised it sold so fast. If my iPhone ends up shipping sooner like others have I will end up having to go to the Apple store and picking up hopefully a silicone or a leather case if they even have one of those.

I'm in the same date group as you (Plus case). I ordered a couple different cheap cases off Amazon just to try out some different ones before the phone was even available for preorder just in case the Apple case didn't show up (and I already received all of them). Looking more like that was a good idea.
[doublepost=1474317611][/doublepost]
If you are putting a case then both models will look exactly the same. Like I said the difference is only on the back. So you will get the same contrast with both.

That is true (save for the bit around the camera that will still be exposed). However, JB is the only one that indicates it's a little more exclusive since it's only on the non-32GB phones. That was my sole reason for getting it. It'll go into a case directly out of the box, and it will stay pristine, just like every other phone I've ever owned. And in the end maybe I'll sell it for more than I paid for it, just like my 6S Plus. And maybe not. But it's all good either way :)

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
Because Apple has put the main focus on JB and with equal money JB seems to be the no brainer for someone looking to purchase a black 7. But for folks like me it doesn't appear so. If Apple instead promoted the matte black version then you would'nt have seen all these threads.

So matte Black owners are suffering a serious case of inferiority complex?

Really, they're advertising the JB because it looks most different from the current lineup, really no different from Rose Gold, Gold, Black and Slate, White iPhone 3G/4, etc. at their debuts. It's nothing more than marketing.

Last edited:

cinder

macrumors regular
Jun 26, 2004
Seattle
I think I've figured it out

I ordered a Jet Black, supposedly delivered around Oct 4-10.
But then it shipped over the weekend and is due Thursday.
(Apple seem to be experts at shifting production mid-stream and redirecting to demand. It's insane.)

But during that time I spent more time with the JB in person at the store and realized how much it bugged me that fingerprints were all over it - and 'micro abrasions'. That, at the fact that the normal Black looks WAY darker in person compared to the product shots. The product shots look like they're designed to make the JB look blacker.

But then I felt a twinge of 'fear' because then I wouldn't have the 'coolest' and rarest color. I'm being honest here. This is a really, stupid, stilly 'fear' — but a fear nonetheless.

So, I just decided to put aside my fear of not being the most intense Apple Fanatic and reserved a Black at midnight at my local store and picked to up today.
I'll return the JB and helpfully some wondrous person will enjoy and appreciate it more than I.

Really happy for JB lovers and I hope they're satisfied.
May your phone be eternally protected from smears and little baby scratches.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.