Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

stlredbird

macrumors 6502a
Feb 24, 2009
i'm sure jet black looks great, but i got matte by it reminded me too much of my old 3G. I wanted something different.

veedubshafer

macrumors 6502
Sep 30, 2012
I would've taken either black. But since I have no use for 32gb let alone 128 I wasn't going to pay $100 more for a color that wasn't any better to me. I case it anyway.

M-5

macrumors 65816
Jan 4, 2008
simple... because MB owners really want JB deeply inside but they can't face reality of OCD. So they go with MB but they still have regret and try to rationalize themself by posting to others.

I think MB owners want a JB phone that isn't prone to scratches. Fingerprint protection would be a bonus.

Reactions: JBUGGY

jhill-evans

macrumors regular
Jul 21, 2015
I'll be truthful. I'm jealous of the JB owners - it's the best colour by far. However personally, I'd scratch it to much and the resell value for me would hinder me upgrading every year.

wickedwahine11

macrumors 6502
Nov 2, 2013
Fair enough, different strokes for different folks. I am the complete opposite. I have a JB+ on order for delivery in November, and I am trading my 6 to my mom for her 5C so she can upgrade for free to a 7 with AT&T. It kills me to use a 5C for two months, but after looking at a black next to a jet black in store today, I am going to grit my teeth and bear it to wait for the JB. I had considered buying a matte black to get rid of the 5C sooner, but know I would be kicking myself after November. Scratches or not, I just like the look of it better than the matte one. To each their own though...I just wish some of you JB orders would cancel so I can get rid of the stupid 5C sooner.

sbharj

macrumors member
Sep 20, 2014
Agreed, we have both in the family and after a while the Jet Black starts to look like plastic IMO. Reminds me of the 3G/3GS

...Totally off the subject, but it just reminded me... remember how disappointed we all were when the 3GS came out (the first "S")... really hope apple pulls one out of the bag for the 10th Anniversary!

Reactions: ABC5S

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
Cancelled my jet black order in favour of matte black

Will see if it was a good decision mid october.

andyp350

macrumors 6502a
Aug 14, 2011
I have both on order, with the Jet Black arriving sooner than the Matte black. Still not completely decided but I'd say after going in and seeing them both in the Apple Store I'm 90% decided on keeping the matte black.

ZipZap

macrumors 603
Dec 14, 2007
To be fair the matte black is super slippery. I would use a grippy wrap that hides fingerprints, skip the case then either color works.

awdods

macrumors newbie
Aug 7, 2010
Cancelled my jet black order in favour of matte black

Will see if it was a good decision mid october.

I did the same. I could handle the finger prints (just clean it off) but I'd go crazy over the micro scratches and be paranoid every time I set it down on a hard surface because I don't use a case or screen protector. I envy the folks who can let things get worn and tattered and not worry. As long as it still works, right? I really wish I could be that way but I'm not so I cancelled by JB after seeing some of the scratch test vids and ordered MB. It was a tough decision. Canceling the original order and starting a new one pushed my delivery date back two weeks to mid October. I woke up at 3am on the 9th to pre-order so I just wasted that effort! Oh well, I suppose I'll lurk around this forum for a few more weeks.

oftheheavens

macrumors 68000
Jul 9, 2008
cherry point
JB owners are content with their choice but the matte black brigade need reassurance and to justify their choice of matte black because of their fear of fingerprints and on a mobile phone.

If you saw a matte black *insert dream car here* and a normal gloss black *same car* which would you choose? You may actually say the gloss but most car folk like the matte colors because they stand out more and "look" expensive (they are kinda expensive if you go somewhere good). I got matte black on purpose and it had nothing to do with finger prints or anything else, I had the black 3GS and 4 (or whatever) and loved them. But, there was no matte option then. Anyway, I just hope everyone enjoys their new 7 as much as me regardless the color :)

Reactions: JBUGGY

mac4good84

macrumors 6502
Feb 11, 2012
I've had my Matte black iphone 7 32 GB since this past Friday, so still have yet to go through it all for a full review. But I chose to do the matte black over jB purely for the fingerprints and the price difference to get one. So far, I LOVE the matte black finish on this thing, its just incredibly slick. I like the look of it, the feel of it, the camera bump even looks better and the lines blended into the back its just such an improvement over the silver 6s I used to have. I'm really happy with this color and it will easily be my choice moving forward.

RebornProphet

Suspended
Nov 3, 2013
JB owners are content with their choice but the matte black brigade need reassurance and to justify their choice of matte black because of their fear of fingerprints and on a mobile phone.

Personally I went with the MB because I thought the JB looked tacky and cheap.

No disrespect to anyone who loves their JB, but not everything is down to OCD.

I went to the Apple Store on the day the 7 launched (my o2 pre-order was delayed one day) and in person I got the same vibe. JB looks plastiky and tacky, MB look a sleek piece of tech.

Again, that's MY opinion. Not pushing it as fact, just stating my reason for going MB while accusations and assumptions are tossed around.

andyp350

macrumors 6502a
Aug 14, 2011
Personally I went with the MB because I thought the JB looked tacky and cheap.

No disrespect to anyone who loves their JB, but not everything is down to OCD.

I went to the Apple Store on the day the 7 launched (my o2 pre-order was delayed one day) and in person I got the same vibe. JB looks plastiky and tacky, MB look a sleek piece of tech.

Again, that's MY opinion. Not pushing it as fact, just stating my reason for going MB while accusations and assumptions are tossed around.
I echo this, I don't particularly care about finger prints or scratches. I just thought the matt black looked smarter and nicer than the jet black. Its not a case of one being better than the other, just personal taste and opinions.

JDP1970

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2014

I've just got the Matte Black today & to be honest, if I wasn't a case user, I wouldn't have either of the blacks.......even on the MB I could clearly see my finger prints on the back just from taking it out of the box to set it up.

Reactions: xlovepink88x

MrXiro

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2007
Los Angeles
I have a regular black 7+ and went to the Apple Store to checkout the Jet Black iPhone. They have a JB 7 on display. The front side of both JB and Black phones look exactly identical in finish. The back side is where things get interesting. The JB iPhone feels awesome to grip and hold but it is a finger print magnet. The Apple Store employees were constantly wiping it with a microfiber cloth. I tried to wipe off the finger prints by rubbing it on my shirt but they were stubborn. It looks absolutely dirty with those prints as they show very easily with all the light reflecting off of its surface. There were no scratch marks on the JB display model but I can imagine that any scratches will show very easily than on the regular Black version.

I have an option to pickup a JB 7+ next week but I decided to pass and keep my regular Black 7+.

I think if I got a jet black I'd immediately put a clear skin on it like a Zagg, BSE or Skinomi. I wouldn't be able to handle the smudginess and scratches. I got the Matte Black but mostly because it was still in stock last Tue when I ordered for the 4th time and I got it on Friday. So I'm happy with mine too.

billybobjones

macrumors newbie
Oct 19, 2011
If you saw a matte black *insert dream car here* and a normal gloss black *same car* which would you choose? You may actually say the gloss but most car folk like the matte colors because they stand out more and "look" expensive (they are kinda expensive if you go somewhere good). I got matte black on purpose and it had nothing to do with finger prints or anything else, I had the black 3GS and 4 (or whatever) and loved them. But, there was no matte option then. Anyway, I just hope everyone enjoys their new 7 as much as me regardless the color :)

i dont know who these people are because most people I know think matte cars look cheap. only the teenagers do it here with the car wraps and such. rolls royce, bentley, etc.. usually dont make matte cars because they look cheap

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.