Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Booji

macrumors 6502a
Nov 17, 2011
Tokyo
I seriously wanted a jet black one simply due to the buzz and the rarity. My senses got the better of me because I don't really like the glossy look and worries about scratches.

Spending some time reading the various opinions on Mac Rumors really helped me think it through.

Reactions: MrXiro

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
Ijustine did an inboxing of the jet black but quickly put hers in a leather case so you never saw the back. Seems rather pointless to buy it and cover it all up

Mansali

macrumors regular
Sep 24, 2013
No need to be afraid of water any longer. Turn the tap and let the water fall on the back of the jet black iPhone then wait for it to dry up. Its water resistant after all. The direct water is probably better than using a cloth and letting dust particles help create scratches as you run your cloth against the phones back.

Also get an apple watch, in many situations you may want to pick up your phone and that may make the phone dirty as it may get dust on it that may lead to scratches, instead just take the call from the watch...

smacrumon

macrumors 68030
Jan 15, 2016
Old school jet black, scratch free, the best kind.

iphone.jpg

ip1.jpg

ip3.jpg

ip8.jpg

iphone-4-desktop-wallpaper.png

Last edited:

robotphood

macrumors 65816
Jun 25, 2010
Black iPhone 4 still my favorite design of all time. I'm still fond of glass backs (probably why I like the note 7 design so much).

Personally the way the jet black grips and feels in hand is why I'm getting it. I use my phone naked and it'll finally not feel like holding a bar of soap.

Reactions: Bako-MacAddict

IMEX1PCT

macrumors member
Sep 12, 2015
i REALLY regret ordering Jet Black.

My initial intention was to order Rose Gold.

I really thought id like this color but ive made a mistake.

Its not anything to do with the phone, its just i prefer the white bezel over the black.

#AlwaysFollowYourInstincts

Reactions: smacrumon

robotphood

macrumors 65816
Jun 25, 2010
i REALLY regret ordering Jet Black.

My initial intention was to order Rose Gold.

I really thought id like this color but ive made a mistake.

Its not anything to do with the phone, its just i prefer the white bezel over the black.

#AlwaysFollowYourInstincts

Did you get it already? Too late to swap?

IMEX1PCT

macrumors member
Sep 12, 2015
already have it.

just got off the phone with customer service regarding an exchange.

do you have a rose gold 7 256gb?

Attachments

• IMG_5767.JPG
    IMG_5767.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 266

OneMike

macrumors 603
Oct 19, 2005
I went with matte black over jet for three reasons:
  • I will use phone in a apple silicone case most of the time making matte vs jet a moot point.
  • The times I use without a case I don't want to worry about all these abrasions over time and fingerprints. I had a 3GS.
  • Matte was more readily available and my primary concern was having a black screen.

ApplePhan

macrumors member
Sep 12, 2012
Virginia Beach, VA
The real Hierarchy.

Jet Black - 2016 (which I won't be able to get in my hands until 2017)
Rose Gold - 2015
Gold - 2014
White- 2013
Space Gray - 2012
Matte Black - 2011

foxconn

Suspended
Sep 6, 2016
i had a jet black for a week, and it's been living in a case since i was so scared to take it out.

not only that, i love the silicone cases, and since they don't cover the bottom (stupid apple), if i used it on jet black then the bottom would get scratched up

that being said. both colours are amazing. if the jet black didn't scratch so easily i would keep it.

janeauburn

macrumors 65816
Nov 22, 2015
The JB iPhone feels awesome to grip and hold but it is a finger print magnet.

I have a different opinion. I think the grip of the JB is "tacky" in a bad way. Did not like it at all. Made me want to put it down as fast as possible.
[doublepost=1477236515][/doublepost]
Why do matte Black owners keep starting threads like this but not the JB owners?

Because only about a dozen JB models have been released in the wild?

Seriously, Apple effed up seriously with this model. Wait times of 8 weeks? What a joke.
[doublepost=1477236616][/doublepost]But if you're spending a lot of time looking at the back of your phone, you're holding it wrong!

ABC5S

Suspended
Sep 10, 2013
Florida
JB owners are content with their choice but the matte black brigade need reassurance and to justify their choice of matte black because of their fear of fingerprints and on a mobile phone.

They need reassurance after picking the inferior color ;)

I had a Choice between the Matte black and the jet black. I selected the Matte black and no one forced me to, and I also have the option of returning it if I wanted to, however I did not because I did not like the jet black. So I do not need reassurance in picking my choice.

Reactions: janeauburn

hellopupy

macrumors 6502
Sep 8, 2016
Los Angeles
Why are the Matte black owners so insecure about their choice? There are way too many threads where MB owners are trying to justify their purchase. Just enjoy your phone and your choice, you don't need to repeatedly tell the world how awesome your choice was. Its just a damn color.

SparkFlash

macrumors 6502
Feb 15, 2013
Michigan
I have a regular black 7+ and went to the Apple Store to checkout the Jet Black iPhone. They have a JB 7 on display. The front side of both JB and Black phones look exactly identical in finish. The back side is where things get interesting. The JB iPhone feels awesome to grip and hold but it is a finger print magnet. The Apple Store employees were constantly wiping it with a microfiber cloth. I tried to wipe off the finger prints by rubbing it on my shirt but they were stubborn. It looks absolutely dirty with those prints as they show very easily with all the light reflecting off of its surface. There were no scratch marks on the JB display model but I can imagine that any scratches will show very easily than on the regular Black version.

I have an option to pickup a JB 7+ next week but I decided to pass and keep my regular Black 7+.
I agree completely. I do not understand the JB love.

Reactions: kristiguin

Savor

Suspended
Jun 18, 2010
Old school jet black, scratch free, the best kind.

iphone.jpg

ip1.jpg

ip3.jpg

ip8.jpg

iphone-4-desktop-wallpaper.png

Definitely not scratch-free or crack-free. Glass rears was the dumbest decision ever to make a phone and companies like LG, Sony, Huawei, and Samsung continue to make those same mistakes with these lame glass backs. Something Apple may return to next year.

The best iPhone design IMO and probably my new favorite is the space gray iPhone Special Edition. But with that said, none of them are perfect. I can easily adjust to "4," 4.7, abd "5.5 like going from different genres in my song list or driving an SUV or Mini Cooper. But I don't like the sharp edges from the 4 and 5 series. Now the 6/7 series have the rounded sides but it also makes it more slippery. Matte black also attracts smudges and is more slippery than jet black. The jet black is prone more to scratches.

None are perfect and that means more dilemmas and moolah to Apple in the future. Space gray SE is pure hotness but deals with sides digging into your palms and a 1.2MP laughable selfie cam. Matte black 7/7+ are too slippery. Jet black 7/7+ are scratch-prone. Then you need time of adjustment with different sizes and slightly differing specs where one has this but the others don't. Even the different materials used have their pluses and minuses.

Prabas

macrumors 65816
Sep 14, 2010
Europe
In picture "black" looks quite alright, but in real life it's dark grey or washed out black.

ABC5S

Suspended
Sep 10, 2013
Florida
Why are the Matte black owners so insecure about their choice? There are way too many threads where MB owners are trying to justify their purchase. Just enjoy your phone and your choice, you don't need to repeatedly tell the world how awesome your choice was. Its just a damn color.

Why are the jet black owners so insecure about their choice? There are way too many threads where jet black owners are trying to justify their purchase. Just enjoy your phone and your choice, you don't need to repeatedly tell the world how awesome your choice was is. It's just a blankety-blank color. :p

smacrumon

macrumors 68030
Jan 15, 2016
Definitely not scratch-free or crack-free. Glass rears was the dumbest decision ever to make a phone and companies like LG, Sony, Huawei, and Samsung continue to make those same mistakes with these lame glass backs. Something Apple may return to next year.

The best iPhone design IMO and probably my new favorite is the space gray iPhone Special Edition. But with that said, none of them are perfect. I can easily adjust to "4," 4.7, abd "5.5 like going from different genres in my song list or driving an SUV or Mini Cooper. But I don't like the sharp edges from the 4 and 5 series. Now the 6/7 series have the rounded sides but it also makes it more slippery. Matte black also attracts smudges and is more slippery than jet black. The jet black is prone more to scratches.

None are perfect and that means more dilemmas and moolah to Apple in the future. Space gray SE is pure hotness but deals with sides digging into your palms and a 1.2MP laughable selfie cam. Matte black 7/7+ are too slippery. Jet black 7/7+ are scratch-prone. Then you need time of adjustment with different sizes and slightly differing specs where one has this but the others don't. Even the different materials used have their pluses and minuses.
Well you're right, glass is definitely not scratch-free or crack-free, but it is much more durable than metal when it comes to scratches. It all depends on how it is treated. Mild use, there will be no scratching with glass but iPhone SE scratches like crazy. Anodised bead blasted metals are less durable, they are also slippery. Glass is easy to grip. Glass is really the more superior material here. It just needs some side curves from back to front. There's a lot that can be achieved in the glass space. Just wait.

nordique

macrumors 68000
Oct 12, 2014
my S7 (black) is all glass, don't use it with a case and it has micro abrasions too when you look under a light ... just harder to see since its glass

I like the JB colour but as long as you're fine with the abrasions great, if not go with matte its also a fantastic colour...both are awesome...JB does not scratch like in the scratch tests when people were taking knives to the phone...it does scratch easily though but it grips nice. Feels a bit more "plastic" than the MB tho specifically the buttons

I think the silver iPhone 7 is under appreciated since its such a "default" colour but it looks super slick

Complex757

macrumors 6502a
Sep 10, 2016
I have matte black and I wanted a jet black. However I didn't want to wait. I like it nNot because it's the hardest to get, because I like it the best. I saw a jet black before I even saw the matte.

I like matte though, plus I use a case so it's not that big of a difference.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.