Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MCube74

macrumors 65816
Nov 22, 2010
Hong Kong
I agree that a shiny new Jet Black phone is awesome and it is the one to buy. However, when using the phone the finger prints on the phone is annoying and makes the phone look horrible. Obviously the matte black version will have less finger prints. It is a choice to make for an individual.

For me I look at things differently.

A jet black phone (128gb or 256gb) costs the same as a matte black phone. However, it takes Apple more time to make a jet black phone, meaning more care is taken into building a jet black phone. It feels like it has been made especially for an individual as a limited edition phone. Why not get it then?

robotphood

macrumors 65816
Jun 25, 2010
I've had my JB 7+ for about a month now. There is scuffing but it's not very visible unless it's the right angle with the right lighting. Otherwise it looks pretty new. It definitely is a finger print magnet and will look smudged pretty much all the time. My choice however was based on the grip. It's a little tacky which gives you a nice grip compared to other colors. I've been able to use my phone naked without issues. The jet black does look seamless from front to back but I actually think matte black looks better (my gf has one) and more unique (dark black metal vs shiny black).

Reactions: janeauburn

janeauburn

macrumors 65816
Nov 22, 2015
To me- it's pretty simple why I got Jet Black. The grip, for SURE, is better. I don't use cases on my iPhone, and use the bigger plus size, and the metal is very slippery. You can say the matte has a fine grip and doesn't bother you, but that metal finish for sure is more slippery than the Jet Black. And if you're going to use a case anyway, then who really cares what color the back is or what finish it is? I'll take the added grip for sure over any minor scratches so I can add value to using the phone naked.

I was just about to ask why no one is mentioning the grip of the JB. That would be the most attractive feature to me.

Apple's soap-bar slippery phones beginning with the 6 are just absurd.

Booji

macrumors 6502a
Nov 17, 2011
Tokyo
Certainly a case of personal taste. I had my 7 plus get replaced. I had to option to switch to JB but I love the stealthy look of the matte and replaced with same.

Math889

macrumors 65816
Jan 7, 2016
I hope Apple add new colors to the Ipad Pro 2(12.9): Matte black, jet black, rose gold. A MB Ipad Pro would be nice

Reactions: Ladyc0524

hovscorpion12

macrumors 68030
Sep 12, 2011
USA
Personally I love the jet black, yet I own the matte. The reason why is because since the supposed "iPhone 10 year anniversary" will be all glass similar to the iPhone 4, the scratches and finger prints may not be that different. Yes glass is harder to scratch /crack then glossed aluminum, it's a nice way for Apple to ease the transition from aluminum to glass Unibody

janeauburn

macrumors 65816
Nov 22, 2015
I had the opportunity to play with a JB Plus yesterday. I have to say I really disliked the glossiness of the phone. To me, it was distracting. The extra "grippiness" of the finish was also not quite as grippy as I remember from my first handling of the phone in the store.

Overall, I was not impressed. The JB is now my least favorite of all the colors that Apple offers.

Harmonious Zen

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2013
Personally I love the jet black, yet I own the matte. The reason why is because since the supposed "iPhone 10 year anniversary" will be all glass similar to the iPhone 4, the scratches and finger prints may not be that different. Yes glass is harder to scratch /crack then glossed aluminum, it's a nice way for Apple to ease the transition from aluminum to glass Unibody

i think you're probably right. next year will look a lot like the jet black, just in all glass. should be pretty neat to see.

nameischarles

macrumors regular
Jun 16, 2014
I got the jet black, out of the box the device is beautiful. I use a Spigen clear case, no scratches on the back but on the rear bottom lip it has scratches on it. I guess due to some pocket dust or something rubbing up on it while in the case but overall the device is still very glossy and the fine scratches can only be seen in direct light.

Reactions: Jetcat3

janeauburn

macrumors 65816
Nov 22, 2015
Jet black is a bit more versatile if you like to go caseless and have some kind of grippiness rather than slipperiness.

MrT-Man

macrumors regular
Jan 22, 2008
I had my mind set on matte, given the micro-abrasion issue with JB. But after playing with each for a while in the Apple store, the far superior gripiness and tactile feel of the JB won me over.

I also looked at the scratches on the JB display models, and they were certainly scratched, but it wasn't all that noticeable.

That said, I've been using my phone for a week, and I've been reluctant to take the plastic off... :p I just cut off the bottom tab, stuck it in a leather case, and it looks & works totally fine with the plastic on! (it does cover the mic, but I never use it for phone calls anyway).

Last edited:
Reactions: Jetcat3

janeauburn

macrumors 65816
Nov 22, 2015
That said, I've been using my phone for a week, and I've been reluctant to take the plastic off... :p I just cut off the bottom tab, stuck it in a leather case, and it looks & works totally fine with the plastic on! (it does cover the mic, but I never use it for phone calls anyway).

Now that's funny. Do you still have the plastic wrap on your sofa, too?

Reactions: blaine07

ericwn

macrumors G5
Apr 24, 2016
I was just about to ask why no one is mentioning the grip of the JB. That would be the most attractive feature to me.

Apple's soap-bar slippery phones beginning with the 6 are just absurd.

I guess absurd in your language means "the most popular shape of iPhone ".

iApple_man

macrumors 6502
Jan 18, 2015
Midwest
Received my JB. Beautiful. I think Apple should switch to this style. It does give a premium and classic look. Make all the colors like this. Jet White, red, blue, rose gold, etc. ✌

chilman

macrumors regular
Jan 2, 2011
I love my MB, its a real black beauty. Apple should make the 8 in mb again. JB requires more pampering, the smooth shiny surface is more prone to scratches, but you can put on almost invisible thin casing now. I'm curious what new colors the 7S n 8 will bring. Maybe a new kind of black or blended.

Reactions: Sunny1990

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I love my MB, its a real black beauty. Apple should make the 8 in mb again. JB requires more pampering, the smooth shiny surface is more prone to scratches, but you can put on almost invisible thin casing now. I'm curious what new colors the 7S n 8 will bring. Maybe a new kind of black or blended.

Jet black and Matte black will likely return. If they add another color, I could see white being an option. They already technically added red to the lineup this year. I suspect that gold might be phased out within the next year or so.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.