Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thefriendshipmachine

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 14, 2017
I bought a late 2017 Macbook Pro 15" with the upgraded CPU and GPU and it has "the pop sound problem" as described here:

https://9to5mac.com/2017/04/12/macbook-pro-screen-popping/

http://fortune.com/2017/04/13/macbook-pro-popping-sound/

Randomly when I use it I hear a loud popping noise coming from the hinge area. Most commonly this noise happens 5-10 minutes into me using the computer.

It is about as loud as a very forceful snapping of the fingers, and I captured it on video here:

I took it to the Apple Store today and someone there took it apart and he said "the housing is slightly bowed in the middle" and that "Sound is in alignment with the sound of the ventenna popping out of the enclosure".

He also said it doesn't appear bent because of me, which is true because I've never dropped it and it just lives on my desk all day and he said it's in perfect condition other than this bend. I found what he said to be accurate and reasonable and this is notable because, according to the articles linked above, when other users went to the apple store they were blamed for causing this bend themselves. This is completely ridiculous in my opinion because I can confirm that in my case at least, the bend existed since the very first day I owned the unit, which was new when it was delivered to me.

Their fix is to replace the entire top part of the unit which includes the keyboard, trackpad, touchbar, and the metal top casing. Apparently this costs $650 but is covered under the limited 1 year warranty I have. I did not buy AppleCare. I am kind of irritated that AppleCare for the MBP (and for the iphone x) cost something like $450. I find this absurd. If this problem happens 2 years from now it will come in handy.... but that cost seems quite unreasonable to me.

Reactions: green86

zerocustom1989

macrumors regular
Sep 5, 2007
Does Apple no longer offer the $300 something ‘repair it all’ deal on laptops? You send it off and they fix what’s broken for a flat rate?

Some cursory googling says that as long as Apple services the machine, and the damage is not accidental, then Apple may offer something in the range of 300-350 dollars.

Not sure if it’s still true, but something to ask about.

Last edited:

csurfr

macrumors 68020
Dec 7, 2016
Seattle, WA
Mine does this exact same thing, though not quite as loudly as yours. Mine will also do it multiple times as the machine heats up and cools down. If I put it to sleep and wait, say 10 minutes, pick up the machine by the hinge, it will immediately do it. And you can almost feel it. Such a weird problem that I had hoped Apple had remedied with the 2017.

All of that said, I picked up my 2017 within a week of release, so maybe those still had the issues. A friend of mine got one not too long ago and it isn’t affected by this.

thefriendshipmachine

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 14, 2017
Mine does this exact same thing, though not quite as loudly as yours. Mine will also do it multiple times as the machine heats up and cools down. If I put it to sleep and wait, say 10 minutes, pick up the machine by the hinge, it will immediately do it. And you can almost feel it. Such a weird problem that I had hoped Apple had remedied with the 2017.

All of that said, I picked up my 2017 within a week of release, so maybe those still had the issues. A friend of mine got one not too long ago and it isn’t affected by this.

Yeah that sounds 100% like mine too and I think it's also based on it heating and cooling. If I were you I would take it to an apple store and get the top replaced. Who knows if the pop/crack noise is bad long term.

csurfr

macrumors 68020
Dec 7, 2016
Seattle, WA
Yeah that sounds 100% like mine too and I think it's also based on it heating and cooling. If I were you I would take it to an apple store and get the top replaced. Who knows if the pop/crack noise is bad long term.

I think I read somewhere else on here that Apple was replacing the display to fix this as well. That’s the entire machine except what, logic board? Insane.

Oh, and don’t forget the battery, it’s part of the top case assembly with the keyboard and such I believe.

thefriendshipmachine

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 14, 2017
I think I read somewhere else on here that Apple was replacing the display to fix this as well. That’s the entire machine except what, logic board? Insane.

Oh, and don’t forget the battery, it’s part of the top case assembly with the keyboard and such I believe.

They aren't replacing the screen in my case, but if the problem persists then I will go back and ask for a new screen also.

csurfr

macrumors 68020
Dec 7, 2016
Seattle, WA

Yeah, either way it’s a lot of stuff to change out. I’m glad I picked up a surface laptop the other day. I couldn’t go 2 weeks without a machine.

thefriendshipmachine

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 14, 2017
Yeah, either way it’s a lot of stuff to change out. I’m glad I picked up a surface laptop the other day. I couldn’t go 2 weeks without a machine.

I've owned every Surface Pro device so far and for me they're a mixed bag. I am using my SP4 more as I wait for the MBP to get fixed and I averaged 3.5 hours battery when all I was doing was browsing the internet. I was very sad.

csurfr

macrumors 68020
Dec 7, 2016
Seattle, WA
I've owned every Surface Pro device so far and for me they're a mixed bag. I am using my SP4 more as I wait for the MBP to get fixed and I averaged 3.5 hours battery when all I was doing was browsing the internet. I was very sad.

I had a SP4, and the battery life was not great. Before this surface laptop, I had a surface book 2, trope of the line, and as soon as I got home, the battery expanded and buckled the back of the screen. I returned it and picked up this surface laptop in Colbalt Blue. Battery life has been great so far, but I’m also using what windows 10 calls “recommended” on battery power, so I know that the processors are scaled back some.

thefriendshipmachine

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 14, 2017
I had a SP4, and the battery life was not great. Before this surface laptop, I had a surface book 2, trope of the line, and as soon as I got home, the battery expanded and buckled the back of the screen. I returned it and picked up this surface laptop in Colbalt Blue. Battery life has been great so far, but I’m also using what windows 10 calls “recommended” on battery power, so I know that the processors are scaled back some.

I am excited for the ARM windows tablets later this year. If Microsoft can deliver a tablet the size of an ipad with 20 hours of battery life and Windows (a full OS) then I think that will be a huge deal. I love my iPad Pro but Apple has been dragging their feet when it comes to adding USB-C support, multiple monitor support, mouse support to iOS. If they refuse to evolve they'll die IMO.

natted

macrumors newbie
Jul 15, 2010
I've got a 2017 macbook pro and it does the same thing. It's really annoying.

My 'b' key on the keyboard also had an issue recently where it stopped working but it seemed to magically start working again so I haven't taken it back for repair yet.

Kinda frustrated as the laptop cost so damn much. Taking it in for repair is going to be a hassle.

Reactions: BigMcGuire

Boneheadxan

macrumors regular
Jul 19, 2009
I had the same issue on the 2016. They replace the display assembly. I just got mine replaced a month back. I haven't heard the popping since the fix, but now I'm considering taking the extended Apple Care. This is also due to the fact that my 2013 MBP had a swollen battery in it's 3rd year. In it's 2nd year one of the speakers stopped working.

GtrDude

macrumors 6502a
Apr 17, 2011
But hey, it's lighter, thinner, only usb-c, almost no keyboard and comes in space gray so who cares...
You don't use them. You just look at them.

Reactions: oldtime

utgjon

macrumors member
Jan 24, 2011
I am excited for the ARM windows tablets later this year. If Microsoft can deliver a tablet the size of an ipad with 20 hours of battery life and Windows (a full OS) then I think that will be a huge deal. I love my iPad Pro but Apple has been dragging their feet when it comes to adding USB-C support, multiple monitor support, mouse support to iOS. If they refuse to evolve they'll die IMO.

They won't.

Think of all the people who actively DON'T want all of the stuff you've mentioned. By keeping it simple to understand they have a far greater market than something complex and scary.

ronaldcastillo

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2009
UPDATE: just got the macbook back today and the popping issue is still there! Why!!! How can this be?

Brought mines in for the same reason today. I have the 2016 version. They decided to send it in to repair to replace the top case as well. How long did yours take to replace? Genius Bar guy kept insisting it was coming from the trackpad haptic feedback.

thefriendshipmachine

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 14, 2017
Brought mines in for the same reason today. I have the 2016 version. They decided to send it in to repair to replace the top case as well. How long did yours take to replace? Genius Bar guy kept insisting it was coming from the trackpad haptic feedback.

11 days for me. They blamed the hinges for me. I have no idea what is causing it now that they replaced half the machine though.

friednoodles

Suspended
Feb 4, 2014
My 2016 MBP does the same thing and has since the first day I got it. The top case was replaced last month because of a keyboard issue (repeating B key - seems the B key is an issue for a lot of people), but it still makes this noise, so perhaps it's the screen.

As long as it doesn't cause any issues I can put up with it, even if it's annoying. Keep on them about it if you want it fixed though, I'm sure they'll sort it out, it's just a real hassle to go through...

Playfoot

macrumors 6502
Feb 2, 2009

On one of the repair trips to Apple for our laptops and the wonderfully robust, stable keyboard (tongue fully in cheek), was informed it was actually a design feature to dissipate heat. Apple actually put that in writing.

BananaX

macrumors regular
May 24, 2017
Have an appointment with G bar next Monday. Popping issue and keyboard. Finally have time to visit the G bar. Hope they can fix my issues. In the meantime, I will get a MBP 13 or iPad to use. Hope they can fix it within 14days.

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
Mine makes a similar pop noise occasionally as well (2016 15"). Perhaps not as loud as the video above, but I can kind of feel it through the case when it occurs. Doesn't do it all the time, but usually as the machine warms up.

As far as I can tell, it's not causing any other issues, so I'm going to leave well enough alone. My machine otherwise is perfect (screen, touch bar, keyboard, etc), so I'd rather not re-enter the machine lottery and attempt a fix. Truly a minor issue.

thefriendshipmachine

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 14, 2017
Mine makes a similar pop noise occasionally as well (2016 15"). Perhaps not as loud as the video above, but I can kind of feel it through the case when it occurs. Doesn't do it all the time, but usually as the machine warms up.

As far as I can tell, it's not causing any other issues, so I'm going to leave well enough alone. My machine otherwise is perfect (screen, touch bar, keyboard, etc), so I'd rather not re-enter the machine lottery and attempt a fix. Truly a minor issue.

I was ignoring it in mine too but it started doing it once every 20 minutes and some pops worse than others. A few times the screen actually shook from it.

I have had hardware issues with Macs in the past but this popping issue is really weird.

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
My also occasionally clicks, although definitely not as loud as in the OP's video. Its probably an inherent side-effect of the laptop's design. I guess something to do with heat and expansion of the chassis. Frankly, it doesn't inhibit normal operation of the laptop so I don't care.

Although if its really as loud as in OP's video, then it must be super disturbing and should definitely be fixed by Apple under warranty.

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
I was ignoring it in mine too but it started doing it once every 20 minutes and some pops worse than others. A few times the screen actually shook from it.

I have had hardware issues with Macs in the past but this popping issue is really weird.
If mine did it every 20 minutes, I'd be pretty annoyed, too. Mine is more like once every three days or so.

richard13

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2008
Odessa, FL

I have both the "pop" issue and the "up/down arrow keys" issue on my 2016 13" MBP tb. I was going to have Apple check it out but after reading all these threads I think I've reached the same conclusion you have. Nobody seems to have resolved this issue through hardware swaps so it's likely a waste of time. Even worse if the new hardware introduces something even worse.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.