Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thefriendshipmachine

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 14, 2017
I have both the "pop" issue and the "up/down arrow keys" issue on my 2016 13" MBP tb. I was going to have Apple check it out but after reading all these threads I think I've reached the same conclusion you have. Nobody seems to have resolved this issue through hardware swaps so it's likely a waste of time. Even worse if the new hardware introduces something even worse.

I am worried because most reports are from 2016 macbooks that pop but mine's a 2017

I am also worried because the pop/crack sounds are terrible sounding and I'm worried something is being damaged.

ronaldcastillo

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2009
I am worried because most reports are from 2016 macbooks that pop but mine's a 2017

I am also worried because the pop/crack sounds are terrible sounding and I'm worried something is being damaged.

Yeah, at first when I started to notice the popping, it somewhat bothered me. Over time, I sort of got over it, but I realize what if that pop may be causing damage inside. I sent my MBP in repair last Wednesday and should be getting it back this week. Hoping they fix the problem and not dent or scratch my MBP.

surfari

Suspended
Jan 2, 2017
I bought a late 2017 Macbook Pro 15" with the upgraded CPU and GPU and it has "the pop sound problem" as described here:

https://9to5mac.com/2017/04/12/macbook-pro-screen-popping/

http://fortune.com/2017/04/13/macbook-pro-popping-sound/

Randomly when I use it I hear a loud popping noise coming from the hinge area. Most commonly this noise happens 5-10 minutes into me using the computer.

It is about as loud as a very forceful snapping of the fingers, and I captured it on video here:

I took it to the Apple Store today and someone there took it apart and he said "the housing is slightly bowed in the middle" and that "Sound is in alignment with the sound of the ventenna popping out of the enclosure".

He also said it doesn't appear bent because of me, which is true because I've never dropped it and it just lives on my desk all day and he said it's in perfect condition other than this bend. I found what he said to be accurate and reasonable and this is notable because, according to the articles linked above, when other users went to the apple store they were blamed for causing this bend themselves. This is completely ridiculous in my opinion because I can confirm that in my case at least, the bend existed since the very first day I owned the unit, which was new when it was delivered to me.

Their fix is to replace the entire top part of the unit which includes the keyboard, trackpad, touchbar, and the metal top casing. Apparently this costs $650 but is covered under the limited 1 year warranty I have. I did not buy AppleCare. I am kind of irritated that AppleCare for the MBP (and for the iphone x) cost something like $450. I find this absurd. If this problem happens 2 years from now it will come in handy.... but that cost seems quite unreasonable to me.
[doublepost=1519769041][/doublepost]My 2016 MacBook Pro Touch 15" (upgraded model) did this and Apple refunded my money and I bought another one. That one did the same so I purchased a 2017 Model the day they were released; it was upgraded with every option. I then sent the 2nd 2016 model back to apple for repair. They replaced the entire display; keyboard, battery, logic board and upper case. I then sold it. As soon as I sold it then 2017 Model started the same issues but much more sever. Apple sent it off for repair and did the same to it as the 2nd 2016 model. It's been since fall and just last week I heard my first slight "crack" sound and then it reoccured today. The issue will not occur if the machine is closed and plugged into an LG 5K display. So I guess I'll wait till I hear it more often and louder (it gets explosive sounding) and send this one back. Thankful this one has the Apple Care with the accidental damage in case they try to blame it on me as mine has never been dropped, damaged or wet.

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
Thankful this one has the Apple Care with the accidental damage in case they try to blame it on me as mine has never been dropped, damaged or wet.

Why would they try to blame it on you? All MacBook Pros do that, its an inherent defect of their design.

Ricky Smith

macrumors regular
Jan 28, 2006
Boston, MA
I've got the same problem upgraded MacBook Pro 2017 15" and having this popping. Noticed it more so in the past few weeks and I thought I was hearing things.

surfari

Suspended
Jan 2, 2017
Why would they try to blame it on you? All MacBook Pros do that, its an inherent defect of their design.

Because it is Apple and their MO is to deny, deny and deny again. Update, my repaired 2017 MBP Touch is doing it again.

smirking

macrumors 68040
Aug 31, 2003
Silicon Valley
I've got a 2017 macbook pro and it does the same thing. It's really annoying.

My 'b' key on the keyboard also had an issue recently where it stopped working but it seemed to magically start working again so I haven't taken it back for repair yet.

Ugh, my 2016 pops too. It's a much softer and lower pitch than in this video. I'd actually describe it more like a creak than a pop and I thought it was settling due to mechanical stress, but as with csurfr's case, it seems to do this when it's heating up or cooling down while the lid is up. I don't know when it started doing this because most of the time I use the laptop in clamshell mode with an external monitor attached.

natted, I had problems with a few of my keys too. I tried some self fix tricks and they worked. I had three or four jams in my first year of using my MBP, but none after 12 months. It seems that my keyboard actually got better with age. For me, not rushing to get the top case replaced was the right move.

Painter2002

macrumors 65816
May 9, 2017
Austin, TX
I've owned every Surface Pro device so far and for me they're a mixed bag. I am using my SP4 more as I wait for the MBP to get fixed and I averaged 3.5 hours battery when all I was doing was browsing the internet. I was very sad.
Funny, I remember not that long ago when 3.5 hours of battery life gave you bragging rights. lol. Oh how times have changed.

Reactions: ikir

pubmsu

macrumors regular
Dec 9, 2014
Sydney, Australia
My 2016 15-inch got the keyboard repair with a new topcase. I had reported to the Genius that I have the popping noise issue and he explained it is due to a design issue with some antenna part in the hinge. It was supposed to be fixed with the topcase replacement. But it didn't get fixed, rather now I have softer popping noise coming from under the keyboard, too, which I didn't have earlier.

Taking it back to Genius appointment. Let's see. I will ask for a replacement laptop. Mine is not under warranty but the other option is for them to replace the topcase again.

Horrible issues with 2016/17...

vaugha

macrumors 6502a
Nov 3, 2011
My 2016 15-inch got the keyboard repair with a new topcase. I had reported to the Genius that I have the popping noise issue and he explained it is due to a design issue with some antenna part in the hinge. It was supposed to be fixed with the topcase replacement. But it didn't get fixed, rather now I have softer popping noise coming from under the keyboard, too, which I didn't have earlier.

Taking it back to Genius appointment. Let's see. I will ask for a replacement laptop. Mine is not under warranty but the other option is for them to replace the topcase again.

Horrible issues with 2016/17...

Let us know how goes.

Reactions: pubmsu

surfari

Suspended
Jan 2, 2017
It is well know in the forums that they try to say you've caused damage or gotten your Mac wet to deny repairs.

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
It is well know in the forums that they try to say you've caused damage or gotten your Mac wet to deny repairs.

Is it? Most of the time they say it if you caused damage or gotten your Mac wet. Its Apple, not Lenovo.

Reactions: ikir

Pletchman13

macrumors newbie
Jul 18, 2008
Well they don't appear to have fixed this in the newer models as I have the 15" 2018 MacBook pro and it just started doing that a few times today. Scared the hell out of me when it did it the first time. It's done it three times in past hour or so.

As others noted seems to happen during heavier processing when fan is running.

Reactions: ressac

mrex

macrumors 68040
Jul 16, 2014
europe
mine did the same daily when it was new (2016 model). everytime i started using the computer or put it way. I thougt it propably had something to do with a heat expansion because it has been built so tight and after turning it on the macbook warmed and turning it off the macbook cooled. everytime it popped. nowadays i havent heard it anymore...

Colin8

macrumors member
May 12, 2014
Reviving an old thread, I'm sorry.

But I've just started experiencing this again with my 3-year old MBP. It happened to me a first time within warranty, so screen replacement was free. I don't have AC and it's started happening again. Does anyone know - with any luck - is it possible to get this replaced for free with consumer warranty in the UK?

Thanks

nhkdarkevil

macrumors member
Feb 21, 2018
Việt Nam
My 1month old MBP 2019 15'' just does this randomly when i keep my macbook working without fan control apps. I dont know it's pop up that big and also feel like come from middle of the hinge. Weirdo.
How is your macbook going after 1 year ? We need an update. @thefriendshipmachine

smirking

macrumors 68040
Aug 31, 2003
Silicon Valley
My (now sold) 2016 did this all the time almost right from the start. The screen, logic board, and graphics card were replaced under AppleCare for an unrelated reason. When it came back, it no longer popped. I've had a late-2018 MBP for 8 months now. It doesn't have this issue.

matram

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2011
Sweden
My 2016 had a popping sound from the hinges. Was fixed on AC with a new display. I thought this problem was only for the 2016 model.

javmac

macrumors newbie
Jun 4, 2023
resurrecting this thread. I have a 2017 macbook pro spec out. and I have the pop sound here and there, took it to the apple store, of course they are no help.
did anyone get to the bottom of this? I know we are on 2023 but the 2017 has been a good machine so far, but the pop sound makes me nervous.
thank you in advance

richard13

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2008
Odessa, FL
resurrecting this thread. I have a 2017 macbook pro spec out. and I have the pop sound here and there, took it to the apple store, of course they are no help.
did anyone get to the bottom of this? I know we are on 2023 but the 2017 has been a good machine so far, but the pop sound makes me nervous.
thank you in advance
I barely remember this issue (my post is #25). It's been so long since that I don't remember when it stopped happening, only that it doesn't happen today. The only remarkable thing I've changed is upgrading MacOS over the years (I'm currently on Monterey). Oh, and last year Apple replaced my screen but I know the sound wasn't there then or I would have said something.

javmac

macrumors newbie
Jun 4, 2023
I barely remember this issue (my post is #25). It's been so long since that I don't remember when it stopped happening, only that it doesn't happen today. The only remarkable thing I've changed is upgrading MacOS over the years (I'm currently on Monterey). Oh, and last year Apple replaced my screen but I know the sound wasn't there then or I would have said something.
I was on High Sierra for a long time, just upgraded to Ventura hoping it'd fix the pop sound, but no.
there are other sites describing the same symptoms and no one has gotten to the bottom of it. I remember paying over 2k for this machine and now it is not even worth $400. Plus I won't be able to sell it with this pop issue.

richard13

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2008
Odessa, FL
I was on High Sierra for a long time, just upgraded to Ventura hoping it'd fix the pop sound, but no.
there are other sites describing the same symptoms and no one has gotten to the bottom of it. I remember paying over 2k for this machine and now it is not even worth $400. Plus I won't be able to sell it with this pop issue.

Well, if it's a hardware/chassis problem you might be out of luck. But what's odd is that I had this problem and it went away. Maybe I bumped it just right at some point in the past. And no, I am not advocating you do any such thing!

If it's a software problem then maybe it's something you installed recently?

Or maybe something in the OS is just not right. In such a case you might want to consider a clean install.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.