Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Westside guy

macrumors 603
Original poster
Oct 15, 2003
The soggy side of the Pacific NW
I just got an email from Adorama:

NIKON D700 CUSTOMER ALERT

Apparently even Nikon didn’t know just how big a homerun they scored with the new D700. Initial demand for the D700 far outstrips Nikon’s ability to build it, one of the most sensational new cameras in a generation.

As one of Nikon’s biggest dealerships, Adorama’s allocation of D700’s is way up there. But ‘way up there’ doesn’t even come close to the number of orders we’ve received.

We know this is small comfort to all of you who are champing at the bit. Just imagine how we feel. You’re waiting for a single D700. We’re waiting for lots of them.

All we can ask of you is what Nikon is asking of us – for a bit of patience. As soon as they can deliver they will. As soon as we can ship to you we will.

Every single D700 will be shipped per the order in which it was received. NO ONE IS skipping to the head of the line.

All we can tell you at this time is that we value your business and regard your professionalism very highly. We know how important your equipment is to you, and we understand why a Nikon D700 is a ‘must-have’.

Rest assured that as we receive shipments from Nikon, we will be forwarding each of these precious cameras. You will receive yours as quickly as Nikon can build it.
We know it’s tempting to call Customer Service for updates on your order. But there is nothing they can tell you, as our entire inventory and order-fulfillment process is state-of-the art and completely automated. You will get your D700 right after the customer who ordered before you, and right before the customer who placed their order after you.

We thank you for your patience. More importantly, we thank you for your trust. Rest assured that your account will not be charged until your camera is ready for shipment to you.

Sincerely,

Your friends at Adorama

No surprise, I guess. But SIGH.... :(

taylorwilsdon

macrumors 68000
Nov 16, 2006
New York City
I'm not sure where the soggy part is, but if you're anywhere near Seattle, Talls and Glazers are both promising July stock and neither have large lists...

harcosparky

macrumors 68020
Jan 14, 2008
Pay attention to this development Canon.

What development?

That Nikon failed to adequately judge demand for a new model?

I mean this thread was all about Nikon telling distributors ...

" Oops we goofed, give us a little time to catch up! "

I don't think it will be an issue, they just sold out their initial production run faster than they thought.

In my opinion ADORAMA screwed up taking more orders than they were allocated units. If they are as big a distributor as they say they are, then they have dealt with Nikon and others long enough to know how allocations work out.

To The OP - Call around to local camera dealers - chances are one may have a D700 in stock as the were allocated it, but have no buyers for it. That is how I got my IPHONE, I went to a dealer out in the boonies, he was allocated 6 phones, but none of his customers wanted one. Of course you'll have to cancel with ADORAMA, and not sure how that will go .... did you pay them already ???

David G.

macrumors 65816
Apr 10, 2007
Alaska
What development?

That many people are waiting for it? Obviously we didn't take the same opinion from the email quote but I think
As one of Nikon’s biggest dealerships, Adorama’s allocation of D700’s is way up there. But ‘way up there’ doesn't even come close(my emphasis) to the number of orders we’ve received.
is significant.

harcosparky

macrumors 68020
Jan 14, 2008
As one of Nikon’s biggest dealerships, Adorama’s allocation of D700’s is way up there. But ‘way up there’ doesn't even come close(my emphasis) to the number of orders we’ve received.

My reason for pointing the finger at Adorama is this ....

I am fairly certain that Adorama knew what their allocation was going to be prior to taking orders. Once they had taken enough orders to eat up that allocation, they should have advised customers placing orders at the time they made an order of the impending wait, not tell them after they placed and order and probably PAID for the camera. Now if they did order and pay, they are stuck waiting for Adorama to get more units, or cancel the order and await a refund.

I guess that's the risk one assumes when trying to be first to get the new model, especially from an online vendor.

I'll call two local vendors tomorrow and see if they have one I can look at, be kinda neat to see it in person - doubt I'll be buying one as I am a Canon user.

ksz

macrumors 68000
Oct 28, 2003
USA
Ha, I will just wait until the mania subsides -- until the thing gets into peoples' hands and pictures of dogs and birds litter the net, and said pictures get scrutinized for every last ounce of detail. When the results are in and these buyers find they have no remorse whatsoever, then my pocketbook will finally open.

Westside guy

macrumors 603
Original poster
Oct 15, 2003
My reason for pointing the finger at Adorama is this ....

I am fairly certain that Adorama knew what their allocation was going to be prior to taking orders. Once they had taken enough orders to eat up that allocation, they should have advised customers placing orders at the time they made an order of the impending wait, not tell them after they placed and order and probably PAID for the camera. Now if they did order and pay, they are stuck waiting for Adorama to get more units, or cancel the order and await a refund.

Your first point is reasonable, but your second is not accurate. Adorama stated - before I'd placed my order - that my credit card wouldn't be charged until the camera shipped. The letter from them that I pasted here (starting this thread) also states this. I can verify that no charge has shown up on my credit card statement.

So I can cancel my order without penalty.

Westside guy

macrumors 603
Original poster
Oct 15, 2003
I'm disappointed because obviously I am excited about getting this new camera - but I pretty much expected this. The demand the D700 is obviously high, and demand for the D3 (which uses the same chip) is still pretty darn high. A few months ago, Thom Hogan said he didn't think Nikon would introduce this camera so soon - simply because he didn't think they had the fab facilities to produce enough copies of the full-frame sensor at whichever plant they're makng it.

But I'll eventually get one, so that's the main thing.

khollister

macrumors 6502a
Feb 1, 2003
Orlando, FL
I was down at the local pro shop yesterday picking up a 105 micro VR lens, and the sales guy I work with said the response so far to the D700 has been underwhelming. They only have 3 preorders so far. On the other hand, the D300 is the best selling camera of any brand recently he said. He also said the D300 has pirated D3 sales compared to the ratio of D200/D2X sales.

harcosparky

macrumors 68020
Jan 14, 2008
I think it is the law or some kind of regulation that online (and probably brick & mortar) retailers cannot charge before shipment. I am yet to see a retailer charge me before shipment. In any case, it is fairly easy to cancel the payment through your credit card company.

I had a vendor charge me prior to shipping. I paid for Priority Mail shipping ( 2-3 days ) and it took them 11 days to get the item to me.

What the law involves it a time limit between charging a customer and shipping the product. As it was explained to me they have up to 30 days to deliver the product after the customer has been charged.

I went round and round with the Better Business Bureau in my town and where the vendor was located over the issue.

In my case what the vendor did was, claimed the item was " in stock " when it was not. Then they waited until they had a large enough order to save on their shipping costs with a supplier to order my parts.

Had they told me what was being done, I would have gone elsewhere as I needed that $20 part in 3 days. As it was, I had to go out and spend $250 for a complete new tool, in order to finish a job on time.

cr2sh

macrumors 68030
May 28, 2002
downtown
I ordered mine from adorama around 5:30pm (eastern) the day it went was announced. I'd been checking all day and I have to believe I ordered it within 3 hours of it being listed... I'm not sure how many people got in front of me but we'll see.

My email was a bit different:

Thank you for placing an order with Adorama.

We regret to inform you that the following item(s) is currently on backorder

from the manufacturer, and we are unable to ship immediately.

Item Number: INKD700 - NIKON D700 DIGITAL SLR

Our experience has shown that most backorders are shipped out within 10-14
days.
We will update you immediately should there be a change.
Please note, your credit card will not get charged until we ship.

Please accept our apology for this.

We hope to continue to serve you with all your photography needs.

Thank you.

jake-g

macrumors member
Feb 28, 2008
I had a vendor charge me prior to shipping. I paid for Priority Mail shipping ( 2-3 days ) and it took them 11 days to get the item to me.

In my case what the vendor did was, claimed the item was " in stock " when it was not. Then they waited until they had a large enough order to save on their shipping costs with a supplier to order my parts.

First off, shipping via USPS is notoriously unreliable. If you need something to be somewhere UPS and Fedex will guarantee it.

Also, no vendor that I have ever heard of gets a discount when they ship more packages at a single time. There are discounts for volume, but those are calculated by monthly shipping. As far as I know, no one gets discounted USPS shipping.

compuwar

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2006
Northern/Central VA
First off, shipping via USPS is notoriously unreliable. If you need something to be somewhere UPS and Fedex will guarantee it.

Also, no vendor that I have ever heard of gets a discount when they ship more packages at a single time. There are discounts for volume, but those are calculated by monthly shipping. As far as I know, no one gets discounted USPS shipping.

A. Getting a single shipment can save money- especially from a distributor in a channel where you get shipping by freight carrier. For retail, most, but not all shipments come from a distributor so that economies of scale kick in for things like shipping. I don't think Nikon ships through distributors, but it's not an unheard of mechanism.

B. I'm pretty sure that USPS's "Smartpost" does discounts, but I don't recall for sure and it's been a couple of years since I had to look and it's sort of a hybrid USPS/FedEx service. USPS also discounts for volume for most, if not all of its business services.

jake-g

macrumors member
Feb 28, 2008
OT, but often it will be cheaper to ship a single large package then several smaller packages... this may be what he's talking about.

ah I see. I had misread the statement and thought he was talking about the vendor's shipment to him, not the distributor's shipment to the vendor.

Either way you cut it, USPS is balls ;)

Back on topic, I wouldn't worry about adorama, I have always been very satisfied, and I think that the fact that they had a representative make a post on this forum speaks volumes about their customer service.

Westside guy

macrumors 603
Original poster
Oct 15, 2003
I'm not concerned about Adorama at all, whether I get a camera right off the bat or end up in line. Whenever a camera like this comes out there's a lot of demand - so people will be disappointed. A lot of times the problem is more with people's unrealistic expectations.

My order history with them lists 10 separate orders over the last two years. I can't say I've had any significant problems with them. The one time an incorrect item was shipped, Adorama corrected it after one phone call.

They're not the only place I buy from, but they're on the short list.

cr2sh

macrumors 68030
May 28, 2002
downtown
I recieved another email from Adorama today:

Dear ...,

We are writing regarding the order you placed with Adorama. Order# ....

Unfortunately, the manufacturer let us down, and now we let you down. We apologize for being off our estimate.

Adorama is built on customer satisfaction and we try very hard to avoid situations like this. I hope you understand that such situations are beyond our control.

We will of course rush to ship it as soon as we receive it.

Please be assured we are constantly following up with the manufacturer to get your backorder shipped out.

However, If your need is time sensitive, you may want to either call our sales department at (800) 223-2500, and they will be able to suggest an alternate choice, or you may e-mail us at service@adorama.com to cancel.

We'd be sorry to lose your order, but we'd be sorrier to lose you as a customer.

Thanks again for choosing Adorama.

Sincerely,
Adorama Customer Service

I continue to wait. :)

Shacklebolt

macrumors 6502a
Sep 2, 2004
Use the time it would take for your D700 to get delivered to save for the money to buy a D3 instead. :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.