Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ksz

macrumors 68000
Oct 28, 2003
USA
^^^ Coolness!

Seems Adorama has been a bit slow off the starting gate. In other news, Amazon had it for $2899 yesterday.

When you get it, please show it off for us cheapskates!

law guy

macrumors 6502a
Jan 17, 2003
Western Massachusetts
Adorama still failed to win me over with the D700 fiasco. I'm glad to hear yours shipped today. Mine shipped last Friday (in stock Thursday late afternoon) from a different seller - Ritz in that case, though I usually buy from B&H when I buy from a big NYC store.

I didn't have an order in early in July and didn't see this thread. I placed mine with them mid-month (and used Adorama for the first time on the advice of a photographer) and was told by Adorama that they were going to get "thousands" and "sooner rather than later". When I saw that B&H had the camera last Wed., I contacted Adorama to see if mine was set for shipping. My contact that time told me - "we don't know when we'll get our shipment or what will be in it when we get it." Regarding other folks having it, my sales guy was trying to tell me that wasn't the case and that others wouldn't have it until Friday at the earliest (say anything to get the sale and keep the sale). Of course, others did have it and my experience with the B&H inventory indicators is that they are accurate seemingly up-to-the-minute - they only say "in stock" if you can call up sales and they can get it on the next truck out.

This was the last in a long line of bad customer service hits for them on the order. First, they told me my card wouldn't be charged until the items ship. Okay, I thought, I'll use my check card because it's not shipping until the end of the month. So, I check my balance and it's down over $4000K immediately. Their response - "oh, we reserve the funds, but we don't actually get them transferred to us." I had to talk to a few different folks to get them to clear the hold immediately (they just wanted me to wait several days for it to clear on its own - really?). I had a $10,000 check for fencing the back yard (the big home improvement project this year) in coming out and there was going to be a problem with the $4000 plus missing. I then had it put on a credit card where the "hold" would do less harm.

I then was waiting and waiting for other parts of my order. I made a change to it. I called back a few days latter to check on it and had them read me my order - to start with the change wasn't made. Next they said they weren't going to ship any of it until they had it all unless I told them otherwise. That's right, if they had the 50 1.4 on back order and the D700 came it, they'd wait for the lens. At that point - early Thursday last week - other places had stock and so I made the order with Ritz who were confirming Saturday delivery (which was the case). I also cancelled my lens order and called up old reliable B&H (two decades of doing it right with my orders) and they had my lenses to me in 18 hrs with standard shipping no less!

law guy

macrumors 6502a
Jan 17, 2003
Western Massachusetts
Hi Clix - I finally came back to Nikon (just sold my 5D and lenses, Canon flash system, etc. this month - it's great to be back with Nikon and the D700 is the most "satisfying" and "fun" camera I have ever used. I digress) Yes - I just checked their site out of curiosity. It is currently "on allocation" and they still say "we don't charge your card until we ship". But I've issued my warning there. B&H had it in stock until a bit ago. I imagine that they did substantial volume over that Wed to now period. Ritz still has it in stock.

law guy

macrumors 6502a
Jan 17, 2003
Western Massachusetts
I was just re-reading the post above (#26) from July 15th. That was a few days before I placed my order. So at that point Adorama was letting folks know that they weren't expecting enough stock and at the same time they were telling me we're getting thousands sooner than later. My guy knowing that I had sold my 5D, L glass, etc. knowing that I was expecting a new baby that could come at anytime at the end of July. Wow. That's shady.

Westside guy

macrumors 603
Original poster
Oct 15, 2003
The soggy side of the Pacific NW
The D700 kits on B&H's website that were shown as available as of Wednesday were actually a mistake - they didn't get stock until Friday, same as everyone else.

One of the DPreview forum posters called B&H Wednesday trying to order a kit, and got the lowdown.

Hmac

macrumors 68020
May 30, 2007
Midwest USA
From this thread, I conclude that if I ever start up a high-end camera online reseller business, I will follow B&H's lead and never accept pre-orders.

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
Congratulations, Law Guy! Welcome back "home" to Nikon! I think you will really enjoy the D700! I was able to handle one a few weeks ago at a special presentation at Penn Camera but didn't pre-order one because I've already got the D300 and the D3, so don't really need it. I can say that the full frame is just great and I use my D3 most of the time, reserving the D300 for situations where I want to shoot with long lenses and need a bit more "reach." The full-frame is particularly nice for shooting portraits and macros. Enjoy your new camera!!

ksz

macrumors 68000
Oct 28, 2003
USA
Looking at Amazon today, their price is $2999 and they say it "hasn't been released yet". Looks like they using Cameta Camera and JR Music World as the resellers.
On Sunday the $2899 advertised price was from 6av and was in-stock. It was very tempting, but my rational side triumphed (it usually does). I will wait until Photokina before making any further camera or lens purchases.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.