Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Oleg84

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 21, 2022
Hi, guys!
Kindly ask you for the suggestion: two weeks ago my MBA 1 2020 started to lose 1 percent of capacity with every charge cycle.
It is about 8 month old and currently has 131 cycles and up to 126 it was 100%. Now after 5 cycles it is 96%.
Please, get my right: I'm not about goes into panic due to losing 4% of capacity, but the tendency is pretty nervous.
I noticed, that capacity decrease happens not after charge(which is not always add cycle), but with cycle add by itself.
Do you have any experience with that or this is kind of a bounce-back("punishment":)) for sitting on 100% for so long and the process should stop or I should better go to Apple Service?

It is all started with EcoFlow AC usage, but I was assured by EF officials, that charging through EF couldn't affect on battery.
PS: autonomy is great and if not this damned numbers, I wouldn't even notice.
Many thanks for your suggestions.

EuroChilli

macrumors 6502a
Apr 11, 2021
Belgium
I wouldn't add 3rd party charging, or monitoring software such as Coconut Battery which is mostly useless info you can do little about. My original 2011 MacBook Pro battery lasted over 2000 cycles in 10 years. Yet my wife's same model from the same year died on about 1200 cycles in half the time. My iPhone SE 1st gen became unusable after about 4 years. Wife's same phone, still usable after 6 years. This is chemistry, and while modern software can help, it can only do so much. When a battery wants to die, it will. At the end of the day, it's luck of the draw.

After only one year my iPhone 12 mini is at 92% and my 2020 M1 Air 91%. But both devices are still lasting as long as they did when I first got them.

So, ignoring the capacity %, how many hours do you still get out of it? I get a whole day, non-stop use; web browsing, Wordpress dev, online study, Apple Music, then Netflix to round off the day and I'm still on 30% charge. So, a battery on 91% capacity after 'only' a year doesn't bother me at all. Same for my phone.

In the meantime I just let the optimised built in software that I've already paid for do it's thing. I really don't see any point in adding to what Apple has already spent millions developing.

And, macOS Ventura doesn't seem to do cycles, just condition and capacity, so I have no idea how many cycles I've done. But I don't think it's that many as I might still go up to a week without charging.

Last edited:

Oleg84

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 21, 2022
Guys,
96 sounds fine to me. Batteries don’t degrade linerally.
this is not about percentage. My worries is about this weird dependency and seeing the capacity dropping on my eyes
I wouldn't add 3rd party charging, or monitoring software such as Coconut Battery. My 2011 MacBook Pro lasted over 2000 cycles in 10 years. I just let the optimised built in software do it's thing.

After only one year my iPhone 12 mini is at 92% and my 2020 M1 Air 91%. But both devices are lasting as long as they did when I first got them. They both go the whole day, and then some, depending of course on what I do with them.
The only 3rd party thing is MagSafe connector(top) - https://www.amazon.com/Magnetic-Converter-Charging-Transfer-Compatible/dp/B07NPNYCBG, which, according to comments worked perfectly. Regarding others: no side charger or cable. No even single time of USB-C charge. Through AC only.

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
Guys,

this is not about percentage. My worries is about this weird dependency and seeing the capacity dropping on my eyes

The only 3rd party thing is MagSafe connector(top) - https://www.amazon.com/Magnetic-Converter-Charging-Transfer-Compatible/dp/B07NPNYCBG, which, according to comments worked perfectly. Regarding others: no side charger or cable. No even single time of USB-C charge. Through AC only.
Quit obsessing over the battery percentage. What you describe doesn’t sound like a problem with the battery.

Reactions: Oleg84

Oleg84

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 21, 2022
Quit obsessing over the battery percentage. What you describe doesn’t sound like a problem with the battery.
so, do you think, that loosing 1 percent of capacity(according Apple System notification) after EVERY charge(cycle +) for some period of battery usage is normal?

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.