Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macjunk(ie)

macrumors 6502a
Aug 12, 2009
It wasn’t an insult. I’m just saying that you need to check your facts, because Windows 10 is just damn good piece of software, in several areas better than macOS, including file management and of course game la support. I still prefer macOS on daily though.

Macbooks (Air and Pro) available today are crap - True
Windows 10 being a good piece of software - False.

Apple is taking its own sweet time to repair the glaring mistake in its keyboard design. 4th year running I guess?

Microsoft is taking its own sweet time in bringing consistency to its OS. Two control panels anyone? And what, this has been since Windows 8? Ridiculous but shows how much they value consistency.

Reactions: sracer

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
Microsoft is taking its own sweet time in bringing consistency to its OS. Two control panels anyone? And what, this has been since Windows 8? Ridiculous but shows how much they value consistency.
Actually, based on the recent moves by Microsoft, it's pretty clear they do not value Windows all that much.

They're all about cloud services and office applications (which makes sense because their services are great but their OS is garbage).

Reactions: eltoslightfoot

Martyimac

macrumors 68020
Aug 19, 2009
S. AZ.
Not to mention viruses, ads on the start menu, poor networking tools...

...all of this is not even mentioning that most Windows machines are substandard hardware
Considering that some of  parts are from the same folks who supply parts to Windows machines, that essentially puts Macs into the substandard category.
And thank goodness nobody else sells the shoddy keyboard that  uses. Talk about the "shoddiest"!

Reactions: Macdctr

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
Considering that some of  parts are from the same folks who supply parts to Windows machines, that essentially puts Macs into the substandard category.
And thank goodness nobody else sells the shoddy keyboard that  uses. Talk about the "shoddiest"!
Yeah, that might be the worst argument I have ever heard. You use a mac and you use most laptops and there is clearly a difference. Even with the keyboard I don't love, use an Acer or a Dell for about 5 minutes and you know what I'm talking about.

Otherwise, you're simply not being honest.

Martyimac

macrumors 68020
Aug 19, 2009
S. AZ.
Yeah, that might be the worst argument I have ever heard. You use a mac and you use most laptops and there is clearly a difference. Even with the keyboard I don't love, use an Acer or a Dell for about 5 minutes and you know what I'm talking about.

Otherwise, you're simply not being honest.
LOL. Talk about a weak argument. I have both windows and Macs at the house. I have used my wifes Dell for many hours. Just as good as anything  produces hardware wise and keyboard wise. And while we are comparing hardware, lets not forget the absolutely insane placement of the charging port on the magic mouse 2 You know, the one that always is panned whenever you see a review of it. In my experience, keyboards and mice are the one standout of Apple having substandard hardware. My DasKeyboard, my wifes 10 year old Microsoft USB keyboard are SO much better than anything  can sell me it's not even funny. The Keyboard and mouse that came with my new 2019 iMac are currently for sale and half price, unused, and nobody seems interested. You know why you just don't want to admit it.
I understand that you are a Mac apostle, I love MacOS too but if I were able to legally build and run MacOS on any hardware of my choosing, you can rest assured that there would probably be NO  products used, other than MacOS.
Your mileage may vary.

Reactions: bearinthetown

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
LOL. Talk about a weak argument. I have both windows and Macs at the house. I have used my wifes Dell for many hours. Just as good as anything  produces hardware wise and keyboard wise. And while we are comparing hardware, lets not forget the absolutely insane placement of the charging port on the magic mouse 2 You know, the one that always is panned whenever you see a review of it. In my experience, keyboards and mice are the one standout of Apple having substandard hardware. My DasKeyboard, my wifes 10 year old Microsoft USB keyboard are SO much better than anything  can sell me it's not even funny. The Keyboard and mouse that came with my new 2019 iMac are currently for sale and half price, unused, and nobody seems interested. You know why you just don't want to admit it.
I understand that you are a Mac apostle, I love MacOS too but if I were able to legally build and run MacOS on any hardware of my choosing, you can rest assured that there would probably be NO  products used, other than MacOS.
Your mileage may vary.
Why in the hell would you ever use the Magic Mouse 2 on your MacBook Air?

Actually, you sound really confused. You are complaining about the Magic Keyboard? The Magic Keyboard is amazing. I think most people would be insanely thrilled if the Magic Keyboard were to be released on an Apple laptop. I use Magic Utilities to run the Magic Keyboard on my work Windows machine and I can never go back.

Honestly, you're just all over the place. This is about the MacBook Air keyboard, which is so problematic because Apple makes some of the best quality laptops on the market but the keyboard does not live up to the rest of the machine.

If you come in here trying to tell us that Mac laptops are not good hardware quality and cite the Magic Keyboard and Magic Mouse design for some reason, you're not only losing the argument, you're wasting our time.

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
What’s weird about using a mouse with a laptop? I personally don’t, but many people prefer it over the touchpad.
Point taken, however Macs in particular are known for their incredible touchpad.

That still doesn't explain why the post is going after the great Magic Keyboard in a MacBook Air discussion.

Martyimac

macrumors 68020
Aug 19, 2009
S. AZ.
Why in the hell would you ever use the Magic Mouse 2 on your MacBook Air?

Actually, you sound really confused. You are complaining about the Magic Keyboard? The Magic Keyboard is amazing. I think most people would be insanely thrilled if the Magic Keyboard were to be released on an Apple laptop. I use Magic Utilities to run the Magic Keyboard on my work Windows machine and I can never go back.

Honestly, you're just all over the place. This is about the MacBook Air keyboard, which is so problematic because Apple makes some of the best quality laptops on the market but the keyboard does not live up to the rest of the machine.

If you come in here trying to tell us that Mac laptops are not good hardware quality and cite the Magic Keyboard and Magic Mouse design for some reason, you're not only losing the argument, you're wasting our time.
Not to mention viruses, ads on the start menu, poor networking tools...

...all of this is not even mentioning that most Windows machines are substandard hardware
Considering you started this vein with this post, you are complaining about where this whole thread went when you detoured it? LOL

Last edited:

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
Considering you started this vein with this post, you are complaining about where this whole thread went when you detoured it? LOL
You're talking about iMac hardware in a MacBook Air thread.

And I get it, you don't like the Magic Mouse. I don't like it much either. However, it makes no sense to bring up the (great) Magic Keyboard in a discussion about a device that comes with a native keyboard.

Things on a MacBook Air (on topic on a MacBook Air hardware forum)
  • Magic Mouse
  • MacBook Air Keyboard

Things now used with a MacBook Air (off topic)
  • Magic Keyboard

Only one of us is going off-topic here. You're the one that decided to make this a "complain about all Apple design" thread. I'm just defending the fact that by and large Apple is the most successful company at designing premium tech products. There's really no arguing with that at this point.

bearinthetown

macrumors 6502
May 5, 2018
I wonder if it’s even possible to have a reliable butterfly keyboard. Are all „satisfied customers” just people who don’t type much and new customers, for whom the keyboard hasn’t failed *yet*? I can’t afford mentally to work with unreliable keyboard, it makes me mad very easily.

jgorman

macrumors regular
Jul 16, 2019
Hello, I have never posted before, but I just wanted to share my experience with the 2019 MacBook Pro 13 inch (1.4GHz i5). I had it for about one day.

Once when I pressed the function key, it got stuck in the down position. I could tell it was stuck in place because the touch bar switched to showing custom buttons, and it kept showing them, even after I let go of the function key. I set the touch bar to show a row of custom buttons when I depressed the function key in the System Preferences.

I tapped the function key again and it went back to its standard behavior. It never happened again.

I am not saying the 2019 keyboards are good or bad. I just have one data point that I wanted to share. Instead of worrying about it, I just returned it.

Last edited:

bearinthetown

macrumors 6502
May 5, 2018
I have just written on Apple forums about my issue and answered a guy who suggested to reinstall macOS to fix the keyboard (LMAO!) and my post got deleted in one minute. I’m sick of how manipulative Apple has became. This is truly disgusting at this point.

Sometimes I feel like it’s so easy to spread lies these days and people just swallow. Solutions with 0% of chance to work, solutions that have never worked for anybody are being suggested by Apple.

Reactions: myrtlebee

Kung gu

Suspended
Oct 20, 2018
I have just written on Apple forums about my issue and answered a guy who suggested to reinstall macOS to fix the keyboard (LMAO!) and my post got deleted in one minute. I’m sick of how manipulative Apple has became. This is truly disgusting at this point.

Sometimes I feel like it’s so easy to spread lies these days and people just swallow. Solutions with 0% of chance to work, solutions that have never worked for anybody are being suggested by Apple.
ok calm down buddy other companies are much worse than Apple. and its apple forums they do WHAT they like and also i don't apple taking down posts on other mac related forums.

bearinthetown

macrumors 6502
May 5, 2018
ok calm down buddy other companies are much worse than Apple. and its apple forums they do WHAT they like and also i don't apple taking down posts on other mac related forums.
Other companies are worse? I have never seen other IT company being as manipulative as Apple is now. Please give examples.

Kung gu

Suspended
Oct 20, 2018
Other companies are worse? I have never seen other IT company being as manipulative as Apple is now. Please give examples.
first define manipulative, is apple hiding the fact the keyboards are bad. No, they are not, in fact they even apologized for their mistake and are giving a replacement program.

Huawei is shady as hell, and Samsung literally nearly released a $2000 dollar phone that was prone to break within 2 days of use and that was found out by reporters and reviewers and not Samsung's quality control. So they basically rushed it. I am sure they are many other companies out there as well that are "manipulative" but in MY opinion Apple is much more transparent than those.

Reactions: Ghost31

bearinthetown

macrumors 6502
May 5, 2018
Yes, Apple admits now there is problem with the keyboard. But it took them 3 years of lying and pretending there is no problem. Remember the silicone membrane, made to „make it more quiet”? And it was useless even for that, it literally did nothing.

Transparent is the last thing Apple is.

Kung gu

Suspended
Oct 20, 2018
Yes, Apple admits now there is problem with the keyboard. But it took them 3 years of lying and pretending there is no problem. Remember the silicone membrane, made to „make it more quiet”? And it was useless even for that, it literally did nothing.

Transparent is the last thing Apple is.
well it was more quiet than the '16/'17 models. Yes, i do agree that they were lying and pretending but i don't think the majortity were having problems because if they were then apple would stop the production of them completely. I mean think about if every single macbook had a problem then apple would straight up lose business trying to fix/refunding the macbooks. maybe 5%-6% were having problems and people who have problems tend to be the vocal.

look at the ipad pro problem, some ipad pros were bending and then the whole internet expoloed with ipad news. They want money people who make these clickbait over the top videos. Do you see any other IT manfufactor getting the same treatment. NOOO, why because apple means money. I never see headlines on Dell laptops and they are not good at lasting very long.

Last edited:

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
They're literally all worse.
[doublepost=1563370226][/doublepost]
well it was more quiet than the '16/'17 models. Yes, i do agree that they were lying and pretending but i don't think the majortity were having problems because if they were then apple would stop the production of them completely. I mean think about if every single macbook had a problem then apple would straight up lose business trying to fix/refunding the macbooks. maybe 5%-6% were having problems and people who have problems tend to be the vocal.

look at the ipad pro problem, some ipad pros were bending and then the whole internet expoloed with ipad news. They want money people who make these clickbait over the top videos. Do you see any other IT manfufactor getting the same treatment. NOOO, why because apple means money. I never see headlines on Dell laptops and they are not good at lasting very long.
What is Apple supposed to do? They can't come out and say "don't buy our laptops, the keyboards are broken" because
  1. Most of their keyboards are not broken
  2. When they say a majority of their customers don't see this issue, they're right
Apple cannot come out and say "don't buy our laptops, our keyboards are broken". They would need to have a new keyboard mechanism on the way and those keyboards take some time to develop.

Reactions: Ghost31

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
I work in IT industry as well. You seem to be extremely opinionated for some reason.
I don't work in IT, I work in expert Product Support.

You're in IT, so this isn't likely something you deal with.

When you have a problem, unless it is safety or security, you don't immediately announce it to the world.

First, you try to understand it. Part of that evaluation includes the number of cases. Based on what we are hearing from Apple, it would appear the issue seems to have ramped up around 2017, which makes sense because the MacBook Pros would have been in use for a while by then (I'm not convinced, due to the super low travel and low adoption rate, the MacBook generated that many incidents).

My guess is from there Apple began seeking new scissor switch suppliers while understanding better what was happening with the butterfly keyboards. Development of a new keyboard takes a hell of a lot of time due to hardware, software updates as well as the extensive testing involved.

In the meantime, they have to keep selling laptops and did what they thought would fix the keyboard failure issues. The double key thing is weird and I can't figure it out. I would assume it's actually an unrelated issue to the key failures that cropped up as an aside.

What I don't get with your opinion is "why are you whining about Apple being secretive?". They're an IP company. Most of the good companies don't.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.