Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

swerve147

macrumors 6502a
Jan 12, 2013
Jaja I have a work travel in July, I need the portable now, can’t wait until June to see if something new comes out.

Apart from that the difference won’t be 200 for sure, Amazon low prices 3/4 months later of the launch day.

OK, in that case if you need something now I would go for the 2017 too in that situation. Apple has a standard 1 year warranty for manufacturer defects, so if your keyboard goes bad at least you'll have that warranty to keep you covered.

austyn23

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 22, 2017
OK, cool. If you need something now, I would go for the 2017 too in that situation. Apple has a standard 1 year warranty for manufacturer defects, so if you're keyboard goes bad at least you'll have that warranty to keep you covered.
Yes and Amazon gives 2 years, usually after 1 year they don’t have stock of past models so they offer a full refund. I always buy macs on Amazon.

Reactions: swerve147

ilikewhey

macrumors 68040
May 14, 2014
nyc upper east
i wonder if the new mb air is gonna be any good
[doublepost=1521386842][/doublepost]
But we aren’t taking about gaming rigs. We’re talking about buying a 2017 MacBook Pro vs a 2015 MacBook Pro for $400 more. You can’t selectively say “I don’t need this” in such a comparison when comparing the overall value.

Why are you focusing so much on the CPU? The CPU is largely the one piece of hardware you don’t need to worry about much if we are looking at a wide selection of users. GPU is far more important for just about any work, as is the amount of ram, ssd speed, etc. . I understand if you specifically might care more, but you’re not just paying $400 to upgrade the CPU slightly. You’re getting a lot more.

The updates between the old tech and the modern tech are easily worth $400 to any sane person.

Does the 2015 even support things like a dedicated GPU expansion? Can I buy an Akito Node and put a 1080 in it and connect to the 2015? (Assuming I sell my home and legs to buy one)
https://egpu.io/build-guides/?table_filter="Mac >TB3 "

although limited by tb2's bandwidth,

but thn again so is the tb3. it's max bandwidth capacity only allows something like 1070, and thats pushing it to the limit, so something like a 1080 will be limited.

as for spending 400 on new tech vs old tech, true, but that new tech opens door to outrageous 700-800 dollar repair out of warranty.

why don't you give some feedback in this thread.
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/what-are-they-doing-about-mbp-keyboard-i’m-1-month-out-of-warranty.2109142/page-5

i see you are very active on this forum yet i don't see you posting in that particular thread, and yet its very on topic with this thread.
[doublepost=1521387611][/doublepost]
I asked for some advice on these forums not too long ago. However, I decided not to be lazy and to actually reflect on what my needs are. This is the conclusion I have come to:

- Keyboard issue is a real issue, but it may not be as common as we think it is. Of course no one really knows. But from talking to some Genius Bar guys at 3 different high volume stores, they see maybe 2-3 keyboard repairs a day out of hundreds of appointments a week. They do agree that the new keyboards are prone to malfunction from dust and crumbs, but an actual malfunction is rarer than we think. As always, take anything you read on the internet with a grain of salt, including my blurb.

- The angry ones are more vocal. They often go on several different forums voicing their opinions. SOMETIMES, these members are also more anal and tend to return/exchange items for the smallest problems.

- The 2015 model is a great option, especially if you value reliability and the old ports. However, I would have to agree with some members of this forum, that this is NOT the best option for everyone. I could see it being a much better option for those who don’t need the latest and greatest, require the legacy ports on a daily basis, and absolutely require the proven track record of a reliable machine. However, to generalize and recommend this to everyone is not “responsible”.
i'm gonna assume this is meant for me so sorry if this might make me look semi self centered.

i have previously stated each situation is different, and i have recommend the op to go with the newer 2017 model based on what he does, however it seems you have clearly not read the situation that has lead up to what has happened in this thread,

i come in and put some reality check on the argument, and yet i get called not being responsible...o_O

Last edited:

smallcoffee

macrumors 68000
Oct 15, 2014
North America
i wonder if the new mb air is gonna be any good

Hope so. I'm sure people will complain.

https://egpu.io/build-guides/?table_filter="Mac >TB3 "

although limited by tb2's bandwidth,

but thn again so is the tb3. it's max bandwidth capacity only allows something like 1070, and thats pushing it to the limit, so something like a 1080 will be limited.

Ok cool, so tb3 is better. My point stands.

why don't you give some feedback in this thread.
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/what-are-they-doing-about-mbp-keyboard-i’m-1-month-out-of-warranty.2109142/page-5

i see you are very active on this forum yet i don't see you posting in that particular thread, and yet its very on topic with this thread.

I don't post in every thread. I mostly post to replies to my comments.

But anyway, took a look at that thread. So what? It's the keyboard now, could have been the logic board. Could have been the GPU. :rolleyes:

as for spending 400 on new tech vs old tech, true, but that new tech opens door to outrageous 700-800 dollar repair out of warranty

Sure, so does the GPU going bad, the screen failing, etc etc. What is the probability of failure? The proportion of failures? 2016 vs 2017? Do you have any data other than some people complaining about it?

These whataboutisms are a bit annoying.

Reactions: HenryDJP

austyn23

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 22, 2017
FINALLY

Amazon gets me a 2015 brand new, so I took it. Maybe I have been infected for reading posts of keyboard problems, but I don´t know, you know when you feel it´s not right... 2017 seems problematic with the keyboard.

I understand that in forums you will find only (or majority) comments of people with problems (normally if it's fine you don't post it), but in this case they get me... a new MBP should be a trust and happy purchase, and in this case I have "fear" of the keyboard... ridiculous.

Reactions: jerryk

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
FINALLY

Amazon gets me a 2015 brand new, so I took it. Maybe I have been infected for reading posts of keyboard problems, but I don´t know, you know when you feel it´s not right... 2017 seems problematic with the keyboard.

I understand that in forums you will find only (or majority) comments of people with problems (normally if it's fine you don't post it), but in this case they get me... a new MBP should be a trust and happy purchase, and in this case I have "fear" of the keyboard... ridiculous.
Hope it was a good deal. I wonder what will be released next week though.

smallcoffee

macrumors 68000
Oct 15, 2014
North America
FINALLY

Good that you found a resolution and I hope it performs well for you.

austyn23

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 22, 2017
FINALLY II

I´ll buy the 2017 and pay the difference, the 2015 Amazon offers is from a 3rd part (not Amazon directly) so the warranty benefits will be the vendor ones.

The 2017 is directly from Amazon so I have two years warranty, if something goes wrong they send a replacement or refund the money (IMO way better than getting fixed from Apple or paying AppleCare).

The only bad thing about Amazon is that offers the basic models (can´t upgrade anything). But for me is great the 512 model.

Hope don´t fail the f* keyboard

smallcoffee

macrumors 68000
Oct 15, 2014
North America
FINALLY II

I´ll buy the 2017 and pay the difference, the 2015 Amazon offers is from a 3rd part (not Amazon directly) so the warranty benefits will be the vendor ones.

The 2017 is directly from Amazon so I have two years warranty, if something goes wrong they send a replacement or refund the money (IMO way better than getting fixed from Apple or paying AppleCare).

The only bad thing about Amazon is that offers the basic models (can´t upgrade anything). But for me is great the 512 model.

Hope don´t fail the f* keyboard

I kinda hope it does so I can bask in the flames of all the 2015 told-ya-so’ers

austyn23

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 22, 2017
I kinda hope it does so I can bask in the flames of all the 2015 told-ya-so’ers

jajaja 2015 is a great MBP, but technology and love can´t work together... we can´t discuss that newer models are better in hardware, is logic.

Next year this is over, nobody will recommend 2015 machines, so you can live in peace!

austyn23

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 22, 2017
Update!

I received the 2017 yesterday and yes, the keyboard has an strange sound... all letters sound “puc puc” but the Enter key sound louder and “tic tic”.

OMG... puffff

csurfr

macrumors 68020
Dec 7, 2016
Seattle, WA
Update!

I received the 2017 yesterday and yes, the keyboard has an strange sound... all letters sound “puc puc” but the Enter key sound louder and “tic tic”.

OMG... puffff

There is a slight difference in sound on the 2017 keys I believe, depending on the size of the switches. It’s not entirely noticeable unless you are paying very close attention. If you are used to a 2015, the new keys make a much different sound, and can be very distinctive, since you’re used to pressing harder. Give yourself time to get used to it.

austyn23

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 22, 2017
There is a slight difference in sound on the 2017 keys I believe, depending on the size of the switches. It’s not entirely noticeable unless you are paying very close attention. If you are used to a 2015, the new keys make a much different sound, and can be very distinctive, since you’re used to pressing harder. Give yourself time to get used to it.
Yes maybe, but is the only key that sounds different.

I’m a little contaminated and paranoic for so much forums and youtube examples of the issues.

Maybe without so much information I would be happy with the mac haha

csurfr

macrumors 68020
Dec 7, 2016
Seattle, WA

This is my enter key sound!

You’re fine! Don’t freak out from all of the reading done here! That’s the problem with the insane amount of threads all repeating the same thing over and over and over.

You have one OP in thread a) saying I have xxxx and 50 people climb on board. Then you have thread b) with a different op and then those same people just repeat all of the same comments from thread a. It can lead to a bit of paranoia.

Glockworkorange

Suspended
Feb 10, 2015
Chicago, Illinois
Well in my case the MBP is the second machine, I use an iMac 2017 every day, and the MBP when I´m away from home (one month a year) or when I´m tyred of the desk and go to other place of the house... That´s why I think I´ll stick to the 2015 model.

The chance to get a 2017 model is because they can refund me the 100% of the 2015 money and for 400 more I can get the last one or just get a replacement of the 2015.

Always bought mac products in Amazon, they have a better problem solution policy. In this case my computer would be in the technical service if I had bought it in apple... no money refund or chance to get a new one.
Yeah, I think the 2015 model is fine if you just use it once a month or every now and then. I would't upgrade that machine until it cannot do what you need it to do for work.

austyn23

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 22, 2017
You’re fine! Don’t freak out from all of the reading done here! That’s the problem with the insane amount of threads all repeating the same thing over and over and over.

Yes I know... remember when you bought something and make your own experience? puff forums and videos help, but sometimes makes you paranoid.

Yeah, I think the 2015 model is fine if you just use it once a month or every now and then. I would't upgrade that machine until it cannot do what you need it to do for work.

Yes, but my 2015 has video issues and amazon offers me replacement (for another 2015) or the 2017 for just 400dls more... it´s worthing the upgrade because amazon respects the original price I paid (2200 dls) for the 2015 so the difference is just 400 dls

Reactions: csurfr

qawes

macrumors 6502
Jun 27, 2010
I'd keep the money in the bank and wait if you can.

Best advice you can give to him, considering he has a second working machine.

Yes I know... remember when you bought something and make your own experience? puff forums and videos help, but sometimes makes you paranoid.

The reviews sure have advantages and disadvantages, try not to get stuck on nitpicking. The machine will serve you well as long as you take good care of it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.