Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

New_Mac_Smell

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2016
Shanghai
So then it explains why you see no difference, i had 2x 2017 replacements and they were the same, this last one that is dated 8th March 2018 it feels different. The other user that confirmed his replacement feels different is also a 2018.

It's the age of the battery however, unlikely this will also be the age of the keyboard as they are separate components. Yes they are replaced and installed together, however they will not be stored together. A lot of people were sure the 2017 keyboard felt different to the 2016 keyboard when the 2017 first came out. I've always just put this down to a softening of the keys from new, and a confirmation bias that something was fixed.

Either way I wouldn't read too much into these things, it'll always be subjective. My 2017 keyboard does on the surface feel a little different to the previous one, however they both feel exactly the same if comparing it to when it was new.

Reactions: souko

tram

macrumors newbie
Mar 31, 2018
I have 2 one built 11/2017 and 1 built 4/2018. Both keyboards feel exactly the same

Atreyu25

macrumors 6502
May 31, 2005
I doubt this has much to do with it, its just a bad design. I'll post my results once I get them from my replacement.

Sebastian79

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2017
I had my top case replaced, just wondering whether the top case replacements with batteries manufactured in 2018 are any different... (mine is dated 28 June 2018)

Sebastian79

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2017
I can assure you it feels different.
I had 2 new replacements before this last one that is also dated 8th March and they felt more noisy and clicky than the new one.
Hey there. Does it still feel different? I had mine replaced yesterday and it feels different too. I just want to check whether the newly manufactured ones are different or it's just because they are new and will eventually go back to being as they were...tnx!

DeanPSN

macrumors 6502
May 21, 2018
Dublin, Ireland
Hey there. Does it still feel different? I had mine replaced yesterday and it feels different too. I just want to check whether the newly manufactured ones are different or it's just because they are new and will eventually go back to being as they were...tnx!

To me personally it felt different, i cannot say much about long term use because i moved to the 2018 model.

Reactions: Sebastian79
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.