Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Maflynn...did you get your laptop? Is it the XPS 15?
Nope - partly stuck on indecision, but also partly my existing equipment is fulfilling my needs.

I've been leaning towards the MBP for the reason of the ecosystem, but its hard to justify spending that much, which is probably why I haven't pulled the trigger. Add in my concern about the issues with the keyboard, and I'm not sure its a good use of my money.

I like what the Dell XPS has to offer and I can see myself buying it, when I see a nice sale/discount.

Reactions: Queen6

Dozer_Zaibatsu

macrumors 6502
Oct 10, 2006
North America
Nope - partly stuck on indecision, but also partly my existing equipment is fulfilling my needs.

I've been leaning towards the MBP for the reason of the ecosystem, but its hard to justify spending that much, which is probably why I haven't pulled the trigger. Add in my concern about the issues with the keyboard, and I'm not sure its a good use of my money.

I like what the Dell XPS has to offer and I can see myself buying it, when I see a nice sale/discount.

When you say the Mac has better looks, but you actually prefer the screen of the XPS, I don't quite see the distinction. Screen quality is mostly what gives me a "wow" factor when it's good, and annoys me about cheap and not-so-cheap Windows devices.

No doubt, the Macs are solidly machined items that feel very good for what they are. The Dell XPS is one of the better PC builds that I have across, though. If you already like the keyboard and screen better, and Windows meets your needs better than MacOS, then I'd say it's a no-brainer.

raqball

macrumors 68020
Sep 11, 2016
I've been leaning towards the MBP for the reason of the ecosystem.

The ecosystem is what kept me in the Apple world for longer than it should have.. Moving from Mac to PC and from iPhone to Android was not the cost effective thing to do, app and program wise, but once the dough is shelled out you will have freedom.. The price of this freedom depends on how many paid apps and programs you have that are not cross platform compatible..

I do miss continuity and handoff but make due by using Pushbullet..

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
The ecosystem is what kept me in the Apple world for longer than it should have.
For me, one major factor is the architecture of OS X and how that helps protect us with malware. Suffice to say with kids in my household, I think this advantage is probably more pronounced.

If I was to get a MBP, it would be because of the ecosystems and reduced risk of getting infected by malware.

Reactions: raqball

Queen6

macrumors G4
For me, one major factor is the architecture of OS X and how that helps protect us with malware. Suffice to say with kids in my household, I think this advantage is probably more pronounced.

If I was to get a MBP, it would be because of the ecosystems and reduced risk of getting infected by malware.

The ecosystem is what kept me in the Apple world for longer than it should have.. Moving from Mac to PC and from iPhone to Android was not the cost effective thing to do, app and program wise, but once the dough is shelled out you will have freedom.. The price of this freedom depends on how many paid apps and programs you have that are not cross platform compatible..

I do miss continuity and handoff but make due by using Pushbullet..

Ditched the IOS devices years ago too limited at the time for my needs. Today I am more than happy enough with both Android phones & tablets not to feel the need to look to IOS. Broke free of being 100% dependant on OS X and Apple after multiple software issues I simply assessed the risk of downtime with it making sense to move to more cross platform applications and differing OS platforms. Once this would have been simply impractical, these days extremely easy with all my working data unified across both Windows 10 & OS X.

One aspect that keeps a light on for a new Mac is running primary & secondary systems with a differing OS adds another layer of safety as in the event of another significant zero day Ransomware attack it's unlikely in the extreme that the perpetrators will target both W10 & OS X simultaneously. Personally I don't see one OS being significantly more secure than the other and subsequently take appropriate precautions with both.

Q-6

raqball

macrumors 68020
Sep 11, 2016
Personally I don't see one OS being significantly more secure than the other and subsequently take appropriate precautions with both.

Fully agree!

Windows is attacked more often but that is more of a bang for the buck type thing.. There are millions and millions of more Windows machines in use than Mac's..

Additionally, Mac's generally have the most up to date OS whereas many Windows machines are running older versions of the OS. They are also less likely to run updates because business hate updates...

I do see maflynn's point though.. With kids it's almost impossible to keep a machine safe as they will click on everything and anything..

Queen6

macrumors G4
Fully agree!

Windows is attacked more often but that is more of a bang for the buck type thing.. There are millions and millions of more Windows machines in use than Mac's..

Additionally, Mac's generally have the most up to date OS whereas many Windows machines are running older versions of the OS. They are also less likely to run updates because business hate updates...

I do see maflynn's point though.. With kids it's almost impossible to keep a machine safe as they will click on everything and anything..

I use VoodooShield on my daughters Windows 10 system, stops everything dead in it's tracks, if it can't be run or installed, the threat is vastly reduced. VoodooShield is a different take on protecting a PC and extremely effective. Most important thing is teaching my kids how to use the computers properly both Windows & OS X as you can put all the safeguards in place, however if the user is not educated and in some instance determined they will find a way around the barriers.

If running older software and or OS your simply taking a risk in this day & age regardless of the provider, equally I fully understand the dilemma many companies have with regard to this.

Q-6

raqball

macrumors 68020
Sep 11, 2016
My recommendation would be to get the kids a dirt cheap Chromebook and keep the PC to yourself... :D

They can click away, download away and the Chromebook will sit and laugh at the bad stuff..

macjunk(ie)

macrumors 6502a
Aug 12, 2009

Since there are no takers to my MBP 2015 (absolutely shot resale value here in Singapore), I am going to continue using it till it dies -> so I will be in the Apple ecosystem till then. My hope is that this continues for at least 5 years. In that time, I hope Apple's money grab is dead. Who knows, maybe Cook retires and Schiller goes on a long pilgrimage!

If not, my next laptop will be something from the Thinkpad line (if they provide non-PWM displays) or else a Dell.
Win10 (or whatever it is called at that time) will probably have sorted out all the issues with WSL.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Maflynn...did you get your laptop? Is it the XPS 15?
I'm revisiting this question, while it seems like a snap decision, I opted to defer any laptop purchase this year and instead go with a new iPad Pro. I've had an old iPad mini (second generation). This isn't going to replace my mobility needs or laptop I find that I'm more at peace with upgrading my iPad then stuggling to come to terms with a different laptop.

On one hand with the Dell, I get a laptop that has many advantages over the MBP. On the MBP, I still prefer the Apple ecosystem as does my family. I'm not prepared to spend close to 3k for a laptop and I have serious concerns about the keyboard. I'll continue to use my SurfaceBook and/or 2012 MBP (I may get its battery replaced) and that will buy me time, hopefully in that time Apple will improve the keyboard's durability and will not be a point of contention for me.

Reactions: Queen6

macjunk(ie)

macrumors 6502a
Aug 12, 2009
I'm revisiting this question, while it seems like a snap decision, I opted to defer any laptop purchase this year and instead go with a new iPad Pro. I've had an old iPad mini (second generation). This isn't going to replace my mobility needs or laptop I find that I'm more at peace with upgrading my iPad then stuggling to come to terms with a different laptop.

On one hand with the Dell, I get a laptop that has many advantages over the MBP. On the MBP, I still prefer the Apple ecosystem as does my family. I'm not prepared to spend close to 3k for a laptop and I have serious concerns about the keyboard. I'll continue to use my SurfaceBook and/or 2012 MBP (I may get its battery replaced) and that will buy me time, hopefully in that time Apple will improve the keyboard's durability and will not be a point of contention for me.
I am doing the same thing. Decided to continue with my old MBP for a few more years whereas I usually rotate my gear every 2 years. Having used the iPad Pro, the one conclusion I am slowly coming to is that I don't need Windows anymore. I can use Linux on my laptop (Elementary on the Thinkpad is working great) and iPad Pro for my inking needs. The money I save in not buying the overpriced MBP will go into the iPad Pro. I think this will work. The Pro has a lot of the Pro apps now, comes with plenty of storage. So I don't need as many Pro apps on my laptop apart from my IDE.

For now, 2015 MBP + iPad Pro FTW!

Queen6

macrumors G4
Another here, currently just holding off on a 15" for now unless a project demands one. Might have a look at Lenovo's Yoga 720 as it's a 2 in 1 with quad core CPU and GTX-1050, 1TB SSD also USB C/TB-3 to run a eGPU. If a needs comes up in the near future I would just pick one of these up, as it's up to the job, has expandable RAM & SSD and USB C, nor is it overpriced. Yoga 720 is admittedly not a very svelte notebook, equally it's relatively thin & light, offers full Pen & Touch support in a 2 in 1 format and strikes me as a decent workhorse.

Q-6

I am doing the same thing. Decided to continue with my old MBP for a few more years whereas I usually rotate my gear every 2 years. Having used the iPad Pro, the one conclusion I am slowly coming to is that I don't need Windows anymore. I can use Linux on my laptop (Elementary on the Thinkpad is working great) and iPad Pro for my inking needs. The money I save in not buying the overpriced MBP will go into the iPad Pro. I think this will work. The Pro has a lot of the Pro apps now, comes with plenty of storage. So I don't need as many Pro apps on my laptop apart from my IDE.

For now, 2015 MBP + iPad Pro FTW!

raqball

macrumors 68020
Sep 11, 2016
What I like about Dell and Lenovo is that they both play very well with Linux.. I believe Dell sells the 'Developer' versions of the XPS that comes with Ubuntu installed... Lenovo also sells (or they use to at least) PC's with Linux preinstalled...

jrasero

macrumors regular
Feb 26, 2011
NYC
Ok first off if you are a Mac guy there is no substitute for an Apple computer and if you game or just like PCs more, just get a PC. In June I recently bought a 2017 MBP 13" Non TB i7 16GB 128GB and w/ tax it came to $1900. Being stupid, two weeks ago I was drinking soda in bed while writing on my laptop and I went to go help my wife with a DYI thing for our wedding. Well the soda can spilled onto my laptop and when I got back it was shut off. I tried drying it off and sitting it in rice for a week, no dice. Apple wanted over $1600 to fix the computer, pass. I managed to sell my paperweight of a laptop for $500 on Craigslist while disclosing that the laptop had WATER DAMAGE.

I recently ordered a Dell XPS 15 9560 i7 16GB 512GB 4K w/ fingerprint reader for $1580 shipped (2nd day w/ NY taxes) off the Dell Outlet classified as "NEW". Right off the bat, this is the configuration and computer I should have bought over my 2017 MBP 13" since the Dell has vastly better IO, 4K screen, up-gradable Ram/HD/WIFI, better graphics, and lower price. This isn't to say that the MBP isn't good since it has the best speakers, best build quality, and color wise the best screen. What I hated about the MBP was the price since I spent almost $2k on basically an ultra book, 13" is a tad too small, and the keyboard had clicking/sticking issues.

Okay so no matter how you cut it you are not going to get a 2017 MBP 15" for $1580 from Apple new or even refurbished. Dell offers three versions dent/scratch, refurbished, and New. The concept of an outlet item being New is a little weird but what it is that New products are either overstock, cancelled orders or customer returns. All products classified as new have the original software seal and have not been powered on or used. New products may come in original packaging or repackaged and shipped to you in Dell Outlet packaging. Technically the New version of the 9560 is $1649 but if you call or live chat the Outlet sales team they will graciously give you 10%-12% off with free 2nd day shipping.

Comparing Mac to PC is never a direct comparison but benchmark wise the 9560 crushes the Mac especially in gaming and other GPU oriented tasks. The Mac however has better battery life compared to the 4K Dell (8 hours vs 6 hours) and the Mac is thinner and lighter. There are countless articles comparing the two laptops so I am not going to provide any results or anything.

For me I am going to miss my Mac since Sierra is really really good and integrates my iPhone amazingly. OSX tends to have less viruses and for me is just more aesthetically pleasing. Also while you do pay a ton of money to begin with Apple, I have found resale values on Apple laptops to be amazing, which isn't something PCs are known for. Overall value wise it's very hard to get past Dell's value proposition once you start considering an Outlet item. If you are flexible on which software and operating system you use the Dell XPS 15 is a great pick.

Reactions: Alphonsus

TheScavenger

macrumors 6502
Jul 14, 2007
Kansas City, MO
Specs-wise it looks like that Dell destroys the MBP. I see a ton of those XPS machines at work and I think they are great. Nothing beat that Apple trackpad though.

jrasero

macrumors regular
Feb 26, 2011
NYC
I'd opt for the 4k Dell screen and tbh, my experiences with Windows vs. OS X, is that If find Windows easier on my eyes. A couple of for instances.
In Excel, I typically have to increase the zoom up to 125 to 150% in OS X because for what ever reason its being rendered too small. In Windows, its fine. Likewise in the mail app the text is too small. All things being equal, with resolution and what not I find Windows easier on my old eyes YMMV and as such my experiences may not be typical but I do find its easier.

At this point I find that the MBP wins over the dell in:

• Looks, and I will not discount how that can affect purchase decisions - the MBP does look really nice. Gorgeous lines.
  • The Apple ecosystem, that is if you're already in the apple ecosystem, then the MBP isn't a bad decision.
  • Customer Support, I've not had bad experiences with dell in the past, but I've had better experiences with Apple

What I like about the Dell is not just that it beats out the MBP on spec, but the keyboard is better, the components are replaceable. I don't have to spend over 200 dollars and get a new top case because I needed to replace the battery.

Your points are very valid. Apple's CS and supply chain is just amazing. OSX is very stable and not prone to viruses. the Apple tax is real but systems tend to last forever and have great resale value in my experience. Point being if operating system/software and money are not an issue yeah the Dell is just the better pick. But like a luxury car some people truly value bringing in their car/laptop to a dealer/Apple Store at their own convenience and for them this is priceless. Microsoft has sort of addressed this with their own stores and products but like Apple the Windows products are extremely expensive.

TheScavenger

macrumors 6502
Jul 14, 2007
Kansas City, MO
Your points are very valid. Apple's CS and supply chain is just amazing. OSX is very stable and not prone to viruses. the Apple tax is real but systems tend to last forever and have great resale value in my experience. Point being if operating system/software and money are not an issue yeah the Dell is just the better pick. But like a luxury car some people truly value bringing in their car/laptop to a dealer/Apple Store at their own convenience and for them this is priceless. Microsoft has sort of addressed this with their own stores and products but like Apple the Windows products are extremely expensive.

Exactly. I couldn't say it better myself.

jrasero

macrumors regular
Feb 26, 2011
NYC
Specs-wise it looks like that Dell destroys the MBP. I see a ton of those XPS machines at work and I think they are great. Nothing beat that Apple trackpad though.

I think the 13" track pad was big but very usable but anyone else think the 15" was just too big? Palm rejection can only do so much and I found it a pain to have to reach over the track pad so much to type on the 15.

Alphonsus

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 1, 2017
Massachusett
LOL, bought the Dell XPS 15 2 months ago!!! And I love it, however I just learned that the internal itself doesn't always speed up what you want to do. My internet still sucks and learned internet is really important when it comes to speed.

But nicely put @jrasero , the 2 laptops are for different needs, personally I think I need a 15" computer, I've been use to 15" so a 13" seems to be very small too me.

The only problem I have with the XPS is the fan noise when I play games but I guess that is to be expected.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.