Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
Understood maybe native 1440 is the way to go then. Any hub/dock recommendations for either set up? Tight budget (med school ?) so would appreciate saving money
My recommendation isn't cheap, unfortunately. Caldigit TS3+.

There's a couple of sticky threads regarding docks and likely a number of other threads you might find with a search in the Mac Accessories subforum

Do pay attention to the differences in capability between USB3 and Thunderbolt3 docks - they use the same USBC connector but Thunderbolt supports more data - which has an effect on how much 'stuff' can be supported/done over the single cable.

Reactions: Shahjee_MBBS

Shahjee_MBBS

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 19, 2020
My recommendation isn't cheap, unfortunately. Caldigit TS3+.

There's a couple of sticky threads regarding docks and likely a number of other threads you might find with a search in the Mac Accessories subforum

Do pay attention to the differences in capability between USB3 and Thunderbolt3 docks - they use the same USBC connector but Thunderbolt supports more data - which has an effect on how much 'stuff' can be supported/done over the single cable.
I’ll have a look definitely thank you very much!

Reactions: deeddawg

Jochheim

macrumors regular
Jul 12, 2020
I don't want to confuse you but keep in mind that macOS unfortunately cannot do MST. To make it short: Most Docks use MST to drive 2 displays and if you connect them to your Mac it will just mirror the first screen. BUT some docks have a second "real" output and so you can still use two displays. I have a "HP G2" dock which was "cheap" - at least in thunderbolt standards. It also uses two DisplayPort connections (with MST) but it also has another thunderbolt port which serves as another "real" display output. In Germany I could get it with an education discount, maybe you could too (got it around 120 €). But I don't think a Dock is a must, especially if money is a concern. Sure, it is really nice to just have one cable to do it all, but for me it is just "comfort".

Shahjee_MBBS

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 19, 2020
I don't want to confuse you but keep in mind that macOS unfortunately cannot do MST. To make it short: Most Docks use MST to drive 2 displays and if you connect them to your Mac it will just mirror the first screen. BUT some docks have a second "real" output and so you can still use two displays. I have a "HP G2" dock which was "cheap" - at least in thunderbolt standards. It also uses two DisplayPort connections (with MST) but it also has another thunderbolt port which serves as another "real" display output. In Germany I could get it with an education discount, maybe you could too (got it around 120 €). But I don't think a Dock is a must, especially if money is a concern. Sure, it is really nice to just have one cable to do it all, but for me it is just "comfort".
Thanks man. So basically 2x display port/ hdmi one from each monitor to one of each TB3 port in my MBP would be fine right

ght56

macrumors 6502a
Aug 31, 2020
I'm generally using a 4K/UHD 27-inch that 'looks like' 1440P, and a 25-inch 1440P display in native resolution. Text looks good on the QHD display. Text looks outstanding on the 4K display, though. The text differences between the QHD and 4K displays are most pronounced with smaller text, and especially pronounced with inverted colors. The 25 inch QHD display is a VAST upgrade from a 24-inch 1080P display I had, and the difference between 24-inch FHD and the 25-inch QHD is notably more pronounced than the difference between the 25-inch QHD and the 27-inch UHD, IMHO. I do use 'strong' font smoothing and I think that makes the text look better than just the default settings. So I really like both QHD and 4K...I also really like the 25-inch size for QHD as you get a bit higher pixel density than with a 27-inch QHD (but I use closer viewing distances). If your MacBook Pro is a 13-inch model, I would be inclined toward QHD partly because of the much lighter load it places on the system.

Another dock to consider is one from Pluggable. There is a $30 off promotion on Amazon.

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
I'm generally using a 4K/UHD 27-inch that 'looks like' 1440P, and a 25-inch 1440P display in native resolution. Text looks good on the QHD display. Text looks outstanding on the 4K display, though. The text differences between the QHD and 4K displays are most pronounced with smaller text, and especially pronounced with inverted colors. The 25 inch QHD display is a VAST upgrade from a 24-inch 1080P display I had, and the difference between 24-inch FHD and the 25-inch QHD is notably more pronounced than the difference between the 25-inch QHD and the 27-inch UHD, IMHO. I do use 'strong' font smoothing and I think that makes the text look better than just the default settings. So I really like both QHD and 4K...I also really like the 25-inch size for QHD as you get a bit higher pixel density than with a 27-inch QHD (but I use closer viewing distances). If your MacBook Pro is a 13-inch model, I would be inclined toward QHD partly because of the much lighter load it places on the system.

Another dock to consider is one from Pluggable. There is a $30 off promotion on Amazon.
FWIW, I find that reducing font smoothing makes the native 1440p look better.

Apple made it a little more difficult on Big Sur unfortunately, yet it's still adjustable. https://www.macrumors.com/how-to/disable-font-smoothing-in-macos-big-sur/

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
Really?! It might be related to me spending so many years reading bolded text on old VGA monitors where I just got used to it?
Easy enough to try for yourself. Just remember you have to reboot for it to take effect. Likely a YMMV item that'll vary by person and display

Shahjee_MBBS

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 19, 2020
Guys,

I ended up buying 2x LG27UL500 monitors connected with one USB c to display port cable each. I’m loving the setup but what’s annoying me is that one monitor is visibly more bright/ vivid/ less dull (hard to explain) than the other. Both colour profiles and OSD settings are the same so I’m not sure what to do. It’s not the end of the world but definitely noticeable, any help would be appreciated

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.