Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
Yeah, I hope I didn't give the impression that Aperture is the only app that's slow. On machines slower than my MacBook, Lightroom will appear slow.

Lightroom may be quicker and capable of running on lower hardware requirements, but I think people with "older" workflows involving Rawshooter and something else like Photoshop will find everything else slow. Maybe Bibble is faster than both. I really don't know. Haven't tried it. How about iView Media? The new ACDSee 10?

If people find Aperture OR Lightroom to be slow, then they should try something else.

hooly

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 19, 2007
Bibble was pretty snappy on my MBP (and on my old XP laptop with 1.7Ghz and 1Gb RAM)... but I wasn't so keen on the interface, look or overall experience. It is very very good value for money though.

Thanks again for the extra detail abstract, it is reassuring to hear that the problem is not with my monitor, and I hear what you are saying about the problem being that Aperture is simply a little slow, clunky... I have since done quite a bit more googling and hopping around on various forums and this seems to be the broad consensus.

But what still seems strange to me based on your explanations, is that it should be even slower when using it on the external monitor. I am not saying that is the fault of the monitor, or of the laptop, but just wondering what's going on and if there is anything I can do about it.

Sadly the answer seems to be 'No' :)

anubis

macrumors 6502a
Feb 7, 2003
Aperture and Lightroom are known resource hogs, because they both do image display and processing "on the fly" (leave the original alone and perform the processing every time the photo is opened or displayed).

My 3.06GHz 24" iMac with 512MB 8800GS is fast with everything, but is like a slug when I open Lightroom.

I think Lightroom and Aperture are meant to be run by Mac Pros.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.