Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ggm1960

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 25, 2008
Hello again everyone!

I have a 2017 i7 15" MBP that has typically worked fine, however now the battery apparently ran dry and now will not charge. This machine isn't used daily and sometimes sits for a week, maybe more, without getting turned on so I never detected that this problem was occurring until yesterday, it's working ok plugged in (I'm typing on it now) but the battery apparently refuses to charge. Pleading with the community for any advice on how I can force it to charge, thanks!

Screen Shot 2024-03-03 at 9.14.16 AM.png

Screen Shot 2024-03-03 at 9.20.52 AM.png

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2024-03-03 at 9.20.52 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2024-03-03 at 9.20.52 AM.png
    252.4 KB · Views: 30

Bigwaff

Contributor
Sep 20, 2013
I have a 2017 i7 15" MBP that has typically worked fine, however now the battery apparently ran dry and now will not charge.
Reset the SMC. If that doesn't work, the battery has died and needs to be replaced.

ggm1960

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 25, 2008
Reset the SMC. If that doesn't work, the battery has died and needs to be replaced.
Yes I've tried that with no success, since there's no confirmation that's actually ever done I'll try it a couple more times before I throw in the towel, thanks!

ggm1960

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 25, 2008
Batteries in general need to be cycled regularly to keep the volatile chemicals active. Have you checked About This Mac --> System Report --> Power to confirm how many cycles are on the battery? That model is rated for around 1000 cycles.

Good call, thanks for that info!
This one shows 775 cycles which certainly seems like a lot! This MBP was used; bought from Mac-of-all-Trades in 2021 exclusively for music gig use and was actually a replacement for one that had been stolen.

I scheduled an appointment with Computer Doctor BG in Las Vegas and that was a seriously unsatisfactory experience! They don't do this work in house and would send to Apple where apparently the HD typically gets wiped out. He wanted a $75 deposit immediately and said the total cost would likely be $400.

I'm pondering what to do. I can probably continue to use as is or I can get a slightly newer replacement for around $500. I've also discovered that I can buy a battery myself and found a video that shows how to replace, however, I wouldn't try that until I had a replacement anyway.

Thanks for all the assistance, great community here and I appreciate the willingness to help, experience and expertise.

BatteryCycleCount.png

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.