Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kimjongbill

macrumors member
Original poster
May 13, 2016
Hi everyone,

I'm not sure if anyone can relate to this specific problem, but I'm in med school and the autocorrect feature is driving me CRAZY. I don't necessarily expect for it to comprehend all of the insane terms we use in medicine, but when I'm studying, the names of legitimate conditions or generic drug names are autocorrected, which is driving me crazy. Thankfully I haven't run into this problem on Epic (our charting software), but when I'm studying or texting medical stuff it happens all the time.

I saw they have a medical keyboard app for the iPad and iPhone, which seems to understand the terms we use, but it's really ugly, and I guess what I want is to have my cake and eat it too: to have spell check intact, while also not rejecting every other word I use. It's less of a problem on my iPhone and iPad than it is on my Mac, and I really like the in-line spell check on the Mac, so I don't want to get rid of it.

Since this is such a large community, I was wondering if anyone else has run into the same problem or has any solutions. Thanks :)

skottichan

macrumors 65816
Oct 23, 2007
Columbus, OH
My wife deals with this too (she's studying to be an MA), as when she takes notes on her MBP, anything medical goes in, the weirdest corrections come out.

So far, she's just dealt with it in MacOS, by letting it autocorrect, then switching it back, right clicking and selecting "Learn Spelling".

In iOS, to add words to the dictionary, just go into Pages, type the word, tap on it, and "Learn Spelling" should pop up. (to unlearn the word, just double tap it)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.