Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Benz63amg

macrumors 601
Original poster
Oct 17, 2010
ever since I got my iPhone 7 plus, when I try to send a text message or an iMessage, it says message failed to send and usually I retry and it goes through , is this some kind of a bug in IOS 10? Hopefully it gets resolved soon as this is very annoying, every other text I send almost every day says failed to send and I need to click retry,

I tried disabling iMessage and waiting for a few minutes and then re enabling iMessage but still the same,

I never had this problem on my iPhone 6S, and this happens when I send out texts to numerous people , it's not a problem with just one recipient

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Not sure if it would necessarily help, but you might want to try to reset your network settings.

Benz63amg

macrumors 601
Original poster
Oct 17, 2010
Not sure if it would necessarily help, but you might want to try to reset your network settings.

i've done a Reset All Settings once i restored my backup when i got my iPhone 7 Plus to rule out any corrupted file crossing over from the backup to the new iPhone and that didn't help

RyCan3

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2010
I'm in the same boot. It isn't consistent either. Happens randomly. It when I resend it, it goes through.

Feenician

macrumors 603
Jun 13, 2016
ever since I got my iPhone 7 plus, when I try to send a text message or an iMessage, it says message failed to send and usually I retry and it goes through , is this some kind of a bug in IOS 10? Hopefully it gets resolved soon as this is very annoying, every other text I send almost every day says failed to send and I need to click retry,

I tried disabling iMessage and waiting for a few minutes and then re enabling iMessage but still the same,

I never had this problem on my iPhone 6S, and this happens when I send out texts to numerous people , it's not a problem with just one recipient

Do you have wifi calling enabled? It was shaky sending messages on my home connection for a couple of months (though it disappeared as mysteriously as it came) but any other wifi or just cellular was good as gold. Thank God it went away because it was a pain in the neck

Benz63amg

macrumors 601
Original poster
Oct 17, 2010
Do you have wifi calling enabled? It was shaky sending messages on my home connection for a couple of months (though it disappeared as mysteriously as it came) but any other wifi or just cellular was good as gold. Thank God it went away because it was a pain in the neck

No I do not have wifi calling enabled, I'm assuming this is some critical software issue in iOS 10 as you can see above another member has mentioned he has the same problem and that it's random just like what I'm experiencing

Hopefully this is resolved in the next iOS 10 update

Feenician

macrumors 603
Jun 13, 2016
No I do not have wifi calling enabled, I'm assuming this is some critical software issue in iOS 10 as you can see above another member has mentioned he has the same problem and that it's random just like what I'm experiencing

Hopefully this is resolved in the next iOS 10 update

Well it may be an ios 10 issue but it's not a given. The problems I had were while I was still on iOS 9 and I haven't had those issues at all while using 10. In either case I don't the OS was a factor.

RyCan3

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2010
Never had the issue on my 6 from what I remember. I updated to iOS 10 for 2 days before receiving my 7 and cant remember if it happened then.

Benz63amg

macrumors 601
Original poster
Oct 17, 2010
Well it may be an ios 10 issue but it's not a given. The problems I had were while I was still on iOS 9 and I haven't had those issues at all while using 10. In either case I don't the OS was a factor.

I never had the issue on iOS 9 either, I didn't have the issue on iOS 10 when I was using my 6S either, I started having the issue since day one when I got my iPhone 7 plus, I have a feeling this is a bug in iOS 10 only on the iPhone 7.

There is also a camera bug in iOS 10 on the iPhone 7 plus as well where if you open the camera app you get a blank screen and the camera doesn't turn on till you swipe your finger from photo mode to video mode and then back to photo mode, so yes iOS 10 on iPhone 7 has quite a few bugs at the moment

Feenician

macrumors 603
Jun 13, 2016
I never had the issue on iOS 9 either, I didn't have the issue on iOS 10 when I was using my 6S either, I started having the issue since day one when I got my iPhone 7 plus, I have a feeling this is a bug in iOS 10 only on the iPhone 7.

There is also a camera bug in iOS 10 on the iPhone 7 plus as well where if you open the camera app you get a blank screen and the camera doesn't turn on till you swipe your finger from photo mode to video mode and then back to photo mode, so yes iOS 10 on iPhone 7 has quite a few bugs at the moment

Weird. Don't know what to suggest other than either holding tight or returning it to Apple. I'd probably do the latter

Benz63amg

macrumors 601
Original poster
Oct 17, 2010
Weird. Don't know what to suggest other than either holding tight or returning it to Apple. I'd probably do the latter

Im gonna wait it out for apple to release their next firmware update hopefully they will fix it

Benz63amg

macrumors 601
Original poster
Oct 17, 2010
So as you all know iOs 10.0.3 came out today for the iPhone 7 and 7 Plus and im still having this issue, i tried disabling iMessage and re enabling it after several minutes but the problem still presists, its like some messages go through but every other text returns with a message failed to send and i have to click retry and then it goes through

Frosty1

macrumors member
May 8, 2007
So as you all know iOs 10.0.3 came out today for the iPhone 7 and 7 Plus and im still having this issue, i tried disabling iMessage and re enabling it after several minutes but the problem still presists, its like some messages go through but every other text returns with a message failed to send and i have to click retry and then it goes through

Have you tried a factory data reset? If that doesn't work ask Apple to exchange it? That's a weird problem to have.

Benz63amg

macrumors 601
Original poster
Oct 17, 2010
Have you tried a factory data reset? If that doesn't work ask Apple to exchange it? That's a weird problem to have.
factory data reset? you mean a complete clean install? i really dont want to go through all that, i restored from a backup when i got my iPhone 7 Plus and after i restored the backup i did a RESET ALL SETTINGS as well as a RESET NETWORK Settings just to be sure no corrupted data has gone over from the backup file to the new iPhone

im pretty sure this is a software issue, has nothing to do with apple exchanging anything

Frosty1

macrumors member
May 8, 2007
factory data reset? you mean a complete clean install? i really dont want to go through all that, i restored from a backup when i got my iPhone 7 Plus and after i restored the backup i did a RESET ALL SETTINGS as well as a RESET NETWORK Settings just to be sure no corrupted data has gone over from the backup file to the new iPhone

im pretty sure this is a software issue, has nothing to do with apple exchanging anything

Yes I mean as in wiping the whole phone, maybe the backup as caused an issue even though you reset all settings and stuff. That usually just resets your home screen I believe, and stuff in the settings app but not 100%.

I know it can be a hassle to start from scratch but that is what I'd do. I wouldn't load any apps and just try and message people right away and see if the problem persists. If not then you fixed it and if so then worse case you can just go back to the backup?

OzCrayfish

macrumors newbie
Oct 18, 2016

My wife and I have a very similar problem. IMessage works fine but regular texts sometime randomly fail to send. We both had iPhone 6 and had no issues using iOS 10. It's only happened since we both got the 7plus. I'm about to do the software update. I'm hoping it resolves the issue.

Hedo

macrumors member
Jan 12, 2016
I've had the same problem randomly occur on my iPhone 7 Plus 256GB, I'm using Telenor in Norway. Running iOs 10.1 Beta 2 now and it's not as bad as it was on iOs 10.0.2 but it still occurs maybe once or twice a day that a text message fails at sending.

I don't use iMessage.

Benz63amg

macrumors 601
Original poster
Oct 17, 2010
Im glad im not the only one, after a few hours of experimenting, the problem appears to only occur when sending a regular text to one of my contacts, iMessages do not seem to exhibit this problem as of yesterday update, Regular text however still fail to send on every few texts that i send out and when i click retry it goes through, I can bear with this for the time being hopefully AT&T and apple get this resolved, it must be an issue on their end as its regular cellular text messages that exhibit the issue

OzCrayfish

macrumors newbie
Oct 18, 2016
Not sure if my problem is fixed with the software update yet. Nevertheless, like Benz, doesn't occur with iMessage

Question. Even though it says the message failed to send, are you certain it didn't actually send? I suspect although I got this alert that my messages did actually send but I haven't been able to verify this yet.

Benz63amg

macrumors 601
Original poster
Oct 17, 2010
Not sure if my problem is fixed with the software update yet. Nevertheless, like Benz, doesn't occur with iMessage

Question. Even though it says the message failed to send, are you certain it didn't actually send? I suspect although I got this alert that my messages did actually send but I haven't been able to verify this yet.

I'm pretty sure messages don't go through when it says message failed to send, I verified it as well because I sent out a text to my brother and when it said message failed to send he never got any text from me, only when I click retry did it go through and he got a text message

OzCrayfish

macrumors newbie
Oct 18, 2016
Only sent one message today but wife had a failed message after upgrading to he lasted operating system. Not good to hear that.

OzCrayfish

macrumors newbie
Oct 18, 2016
I'm pretty sure messages don't go through when it says message failed to send, I verified it as well because I sent out a text to my brother and when it said message failed to send he never got any text from me, only when I click retry did it go through and he got a text message

Thanks mate and I totally believe you but I did in fact confirm today that some of the messages did actually go through. I haven't been able to verify that all of them did yet. When it happens to me, the fail message comes up immediately, not after a few seconds. Immediately. Does this happen to you?

I'm have got my hands on another phone on a different network and I'm about to do some hardcore messaging and compile some data.

Benz63amg

macrumors 601
Original poster
Oct 17, 2010
Thanks mate and I totally believe you but I did in fact confirm today that some of the messages did actually go through. I haven't been able to verify that all of them did yet. When it happens to me, the fail message comes up immediately, not after a few seconds. Immediately. Does this happen to you?

I'm have got my hands on another phone on a different network and I'm about to do some hardcore messaging and compile some data.

Yes it happens to me Immediately as well as soon as i hit send the red message comes up saying message failed to send and i need to click retry for the message to go through.

OzCrayfish

macrumors newbie
Oct 18, 2016
Hey Benz, what country are you in and which network? I'm in Australia with Vodafone. Just wondering if it's network related.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.