Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Natzoo

macrumors 68000
Sep 16, 2014
The same thing happened to me (2015,15") I had apple care but as soon as I dropped it. I saw there were lines and I immediately backed it up, just in case I lose my data during the repair. I went to the apple store and they charged me $650 for the new screen and labor. It was an expensive replacement and lesson. I didn't lose any data and they were quick. You can see that after 30 minutes, the full screen was gone. The last image for some reason, wont attach but the full screen just turned black with the lines.

Attachments

• FullSizeRender.jpg
    FullSizeRender.jpg
    577 KB · Views: 574
  • IMG_5154.JPG
    IMG_5154.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 532

EmilsenLind

macrumors newbie
Jan 7, 2018
Something like this, apparently worse, just happened to me this morning.
It is a brand new MBP 2017 13 inch, i've had it for 3 days, special ordered from China with a 1TB SSD, not because i can afford it but of necessity. 2012 MBP i'm replacing (currently typing on) has 1 TB hard drive, i have 700GB on it. Old MBP has been having severe functioning problems beginning in April with updating Yosemite (working decent) with Sierra (total disaster).

Finally the new computer -- wow. so much better (high sierra still sucks for Mail, even worse--but much faster!! :) ). Just started getting all the bugs worked out and enjoying using fast small computer. Finishing touches now. Haven't moved big data over yet like iTunes.

Old computer still connected to Time Capsule with Time Machine. Was going to replace that with new computer today, start backing it up.

The computer has a thin hard shell case on it obtained last week. Yesterday i ordered an extra thick TomToc 360 sleeve to protect from impact of falls. I also ordered a LaCie Rugged thunderbolt 1TB drive dedicated to doing regular clone backups of the computer. Both of those are to be delivered today.

i went to sleep last night in my bed. i don't remember much, i usually put the computer on the floor but from what happened, i must have had it in bed with me and fallen asleep.

The problem is, i had taken a pain pill, something i'm not used to, prescription less than a month old. Take one every few days, rib cartilage injury. Took before going to bed. It must've had a strong effect (did not do this previously) because i woke falling onto the floor. i hit the right side of my face against something, not sure what, a space heater is the closest thing to where it happened. but the side of my face was, is, sore. my jaw hurts on the right, and my right temple. in bathroom i noticed a small cut on my face on the area of the back of the jaw.

So something violent happened, but i didn't realize anything was wrong with the computer.

I woke at around 6am and opened the computer and saw the damage.

From reading this discussion, it makes sense to me that the display is damaged.

I want to describe some other symptoms and ask about other possible damage. (i will be going to Apple store shortly, i just wanted to consult and be more informed first).

The computer display shows a cracked appearance on the display (not on the surface hardware, no sign of external damage). Most of the display is dark. There are some jagged looking narrow cracks, kind of going diagonally from one corner, lower left, to upper right, but that is a rough description. Mostly black display.

Keyboard does not respond, i can't do anything with the function of the computer. Pressing the power button turns it off. I'm not sure that it's completely off. When i press the power button, the disturbing patterns come back. There's no start up process. Display just goes off and on, even with holding power button down.

When i tapped on the keyboard, and then ran my fingers back and forth from left to right brushing the keys, at first nothing happened, then a noise was made, the sound when you try to do something on a mac that you can't do, and there is kind of a bonk - thump sound. i could make these sounds continuously by going back and forth. But sometimes they stopped altogether and sometimes they came back on. Then, during doing that, more display showed, most of the screen showed, though off color, and not normal, it was the screen that shows if you coming back from it being off and it asks you to log in with your admin password. but i can't use my keyboard to type with and can't get a cursor to move around.

The power button causes all of this to turn on or off. i think after i turned it off and back on, it came back as the mostly dark screen with jagged line again.

i plugged an external drive into it which has a bootable clone of the same kind of computer, it was the first one i got, just before christmas and i had to replace it upon learning that external drives and cloud back ups would not meet my needs for storage space i can use easily on the computer. that is when i ordered the one from China with 1 TB SSD, something i was trying to avoid, so much money, but trial and error showed it's necessary. credit card.

so that is what i've woken up to today. i will go to Apple. i appreciate this thread, i want to go in with some degree of being informed.

Are there other hardware things that sound like they are damaged? besides the display? Because rubbing the keyboard caused more screen to show and and then back to just the original black screen with crack mark, it sounds like something IS loose.

i would just be interested in a prognosis and assessment before i go, based on this report. I think it looks obviously cracked.

probably my most important question is, does it sound like anything where my SSD would have to be wiped clean? I have data i don't want to lose.
and is there anything i can do to try to reboot it?

Other than that, i think the rest of this discussion has been really informative and it's not good news but i think i could already tell that. And worried about whether my data will survive repairing. Is my SSD ok?

I'll get a some photos attached.

I'm quite certain your files are still there, and that your SSD is not damaged. The screen does not look to good though. I believe you can even recover your files from your old MacBook easily, unless you have enabled FileVault on your new machine. It does require that you have some cables laying around to connect your new MacBook to your old one, and connect an external keyboard as well to start your Mac in target disk mode.
  1. If the Mac that you want to use as a disk is turned off or doesn't have a working display, turn it on and then immediately press and hold the T key while it starts up.
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201462

jaw444

macrumors newbie
Jul 18, 2017
Los Angeles
I'm quite certain your files are still there, and that your SSD is not damaged. The screen does not look to good though. I believe you can even recover your files from your old MacBook easily, unless you have enabled FileVault on your new machine. It does require that you have some cables laying around to connect your new MacBook to your old one, and connect an external keyboard as well to start your Mac in target disk mode.
  1. If the Mac that you want to use as a disk is turned off or doesn't have a working display, turn it on and then immediately press and hold the T key while it starts up.
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201462
[doublepost=1515368932][/doublepost]Thanks for the reply EmilsenLind - i was reading your post on my iPhone at the Apple store after they had texted me at home to say they were ready for my tech appointment that i made when i went in earlier. i returned around 12:30pm PST and was told to wait until someone was ready for me. i saw your post. i didn't have my old computer with me though it was in the car. i did have the bootable clone external drive and cable but no keyboard or monitor of course.

I felt relief, reading your strong certainty that the rest of my computer is ok.

The tech guy looked at the display and said he would need to ship the computer to Tennessee, from California where i am. He said he believed it would just be replacement of the display. The work order says $450. $100 is labor and $350 is TIER 2 ACC DAMAGE, MBA/MBA 13. He said they would call me when they get it back. He said that would be by Friday probably. The work order says Estimated Turn Around 3 to 5 days.

He said they overnight it going both ways.

i asked if there was any way i could use the external drive i brought to drag some data over. He brought out a monitor and plugged it in to the computer. He said it's called "some kind of mirroring." I was able to use the keyboard on the computer and to see everything on that monitor. i don't have much stuff on the computer yet, there was one thing i wanted mainly.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.