Mic ok for Fuji XT-2 & voice over?

StrollerEd

macrumors 6502a
I began with need for a microphone to voice over a slide presentation, now looking at adding a mic to my Fujifilm XT-2 camera.

Is this the best forum to ask whether there is something which would serve both purposes?

Under £200 would be good, under £100 would be better. Happy to go s/h. I have a MacBook Pro, USB-C input.

R S K

macrumors regular
The only thing I can think of (and recommend) that would actually cover both is the Rode VideoMic NTG On Camera Condenser Shotgun Microphone With USB. But it's not within your budget. Of course, hoping for a (decent) 2-in-1 in your price range, well…

Splitting them up might get you there. E.g. starting with the NT USB Mini. Then maybe look around their site for affordable camera mics. Maybe the Video Micro II?

StrollerEd

macrumors 6502a
The only thing I can think of (and recommend) that would actually cover both is the Rode VideoMic NTG On Camera Condenser Shotgun Microphone With USB. But it's not within your budget. Of course, hoping for a (decent) 2-in-1 in your price range, well…

Splitting them up might get you there. E.g. starting with the NT USB Mini. Then maybe look around their site for affordable camera mics. Maybe the Video Micro II?
First up, thanks for the prompt reply. That has prompted me to look at the RV NTG,

Yes, it is outside my budget but I might strike lucky s/h.

Of course, I might also do as you suggest and stop looking for a 2-in-1, having already been reviewing several usb-c desktop models. I'll get back to that now.

btw, I did stumble on the DJI Mic Wireless ...

R S K

macrumors regular
Well, if you're going to go wireless, then you might as well go RØDE there, too! I would have suggested it if it weren't for your budget constraints, which the DJI wireless is beyond also. RØDE has more bang for the buck IMHO.

StrollerEd

macrumors 6502a
Well, if you're going to go wireless, then you might as well go RØDE there, too! I would have suggested it if it weren't for your budget constraints, which the DJI wireless is beyond also. RØDE has more bang for the buck IMHO.
As for Rode vs DJI, not sure the prices to which you have access, but the reviews I've seen do suggest that the DJI delivers more. However, not sure I'm going there (yet). ;)

Last edited:

StrollerEd

macrumors 6502a

Hi

what is your take on the Rode VideoMic Go II ?

H_D

macrumors regular
The Rodes are all fine, basically. We use the Wireless GOII and the NTG and both are really nice Mics for Shotgun and Lavalier work, very nice for their price. Another good option for Voice-Over (but not on-camera-work,although it can be done with some work) is the Tula Mic, which I recently tested against the wonderful CM-15 by Teenage Engineering and which was able to hold against a microphone that basically costs four times as much. The Tula is a bit (but not much above your budget) but offers a lot of amazing options (such as Mic-In, Analog Mode, Interview Mode, Recording without any device attached, two modes of recording and and and), has USB and Line-Out (No XLR though) and is just FUN

StrollerEd

macrumors 6502a
I decided to go for the Rode VideoMic Go II as my entry-level, both to put on top of my Fujifilm XT-2 and to USB to my MBP. WEX had it priced at £89 inc a 'dead cat' and I added a used Rode USB-C to USB-C cable at £10.

ILYK

Thanks to @H_D and @R_S_K for input.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.