Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bmac0288

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 11, 2023
Ok so I’ve bought the gpu and I’m awaiting it but I want to be ready for when the gpu comes. I know I need to flash it so I was going to get Linux live on a usb but where do I get the files I’ll need to flash the new gpu? Any help and info from the community will help out a lot. I only made this thread because everyone I’ve viewed has been over a 2011 iMac so I just want to be sure. Still running high Sierra and it wouldn’t let me install windows 10 to flash the drive that way. Like I said any help is much appreciated! I love my old iMac and want this to work so bad lol

Reactions: LCC0256

Quinten07

macrumors member
May 19, 2021
For all you questions visit the IMac GPU upgrade post. It is a wiki post. Literally every question you might have is already answered there. But before posting a post like this. Read ALL of the wiki post!

Françouze

macrumors newbie
Jan 12, 2024
Bordeaux (France)
Hello everyone. I am French and I use an automatic translator (sorry for possible translation errors). Bmac0288; I’m in the same situation as you. I have an imac mid 2010, 27' (2.8 GHz Intel Core i5 - 16GB RAM - GPU: ATI Radeon HD 5750 1024 MB - SSD). So clearly limited with this original GPU. I am starting to be interested in this possible upgrade to Nvidia even if I will have to wait 3/4 months before I can find the time to get started. Anyway... this message just to introduce myself and report that I’m going to get the same information as you. I see we have some reading to start (thanks guys!) I hope to see you later!

longbeachjoey

macrumors newbie
May 5, 2024
Hi Francouze, I too have a iMac mid 2010 27" , but it had a I3 processor with only 4gb of ram. I have upgraded iMac to I7 quad core, 24gb ram, 2TB SSD and last thing was the Video card and larger heatsink and I suggest you do the same as the one in the system is smaller. Joeway at HoTecH Store on AliExpress has a Kit $112.50 card bios are flashed (attached picture) and it worked great on my system. Still researching streaming apps are not working, but i can watch with chrome. Final cut pro and Photoshop work great. I did use open core legacy to get up to Sonoma and you need to watch alot , I mean alot of youtubes to see how others have done it. But i have and it works great with the exception of streaming shows on apps like Prime videos and Apple tv app. Just take alot of breaks and make sure to take pictures of the wiring. Note: Fan situation when installing SSD - Need to install Macs fan control or buy a heat sensor for hard drive. Good luck - longbeachjoe

Attachments

• Complete GPU upgrade.jpg
    Complete GPU upgrade.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 15
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.