Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

User_6000

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 26, 2024
So, basically i connected my two M1 macbooks with the cable to transfer the data with Migration Assistant. At first look, it seemed fine, but then looking at certain system settings, wasn't everything synched, and when i look at the space usage it doesn't match with the macbook from which i transfered the data.
Should i be concerned? The fact that some system settings weren't synched and that the space usage is not the same, concerns me about if there's something that wasn't transfered, but how i can know this and in case what was not transfered? Thank's for your help.

Bigwaff

Contributor
Sep 20, 2013
At first look, it seemed fine, but then looking at certain system settings, wasn't everything synched, and when i look at the space usage it doesn't match with the macbook from which i transfered the data.
What specific settings didn’t sync? I wouldn’t be concerned about “space usage” differences. Your source Mac has log files, APFS snapshots, cache files, etc which would not have synced because those data files are ephemeral.

User_6000

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 26, 2024
For example the standby settings. But I think that there’s nothing that can be done with this, other than reporting to Apple. The only thing is that if it doesn’t synch some settings that you expect to be, then you start to suspect, if there’s not something even more.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
My advice:

Don't worry about it.
Make a note of what DID NOT transfer over.
Then set these up "by hand" to your liking on the new Mac.
Just do what you have to do. Sometimes that's just the easiest way.

My advice for "next time":
DON'T use a cable to do the setup.
Instead, create a backup on an external drive and migrate from that.
I'd recommend either CarbonCopyCloner or SuperDuper.
Both would be FREE to use for this purpose.

Reactions: Saturn007

MacCheetah3

macrumors 68020
Nov 14, 2003
Central MN
For example the standby settings. But I think that there’s nothing that can be done with this, other than reporting to Apple. The only thing is that if it doesn’t synch some settings that you expect to be, then you start to suspect, if there’s not something even more.
Screen brightness, volume level, standby settings, etc are machine specific versus preferences such as screen saver and desktop background choices, system font size, accent color, hot corners, and other configurations that mainly rely on software.

Last edited:
Reactions: Brian33
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.