Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

whyrichard

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 15, 2002
What would you say is the minimum partition size or xp + a few programs? i want to only have a minimum amount of extra hd space devoted to xp... i'm already low on hd space!

and ps: macbook is quite nice.

ReanimationLP

macrumors 68030
Jan 8, 2005
On the moon.
I'd recommend a nice 10 GB. Gives XP, the applications, and your files plenty of room to breathe.

XP cant read HFS+ volumes, without some 3rd party software.

Also, with XP, the more RAM you have, the bigger your swap file is.

Some steps to take when you get it installed, disable System Restore. It is USELESS. When you take it back to a point, it loads up old files, and will erase parts of applications you've installed since then, leaving a big mess, and it will sometimes delete data that you have made since the restore.

Also, another feature is hibernation. Also useless unless you are running it on a MacBook Pro, but even still, its kinda useless. Hibernation dumps the contents of the RAM to hard disk, but still takes about as long as normally booting XP, since it has to read the entire RAM dump in, even if the RAM wasnt being used. T_T

Its quite a dumbass system.

whyrichard

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 15, 2002
diskimages?

you just managed to explain to me two very odd behaviors i have observed using my xppro system for the first time in the past year.

i'll do ten. leave the other 90 for everything everything else.

next question....

i now how my macbook set up the way i like, and soon i'll be installng xp... but how do i keep my settings? when i partition i erase everything, but i'd like to be able to just drag my macbook as it.

i think i need to make a disk image... what is and how to? and how to put it back onto my macbook?

thanks,
r.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.