Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rigtee

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 19, 2018
Belgium
Hi,

Last month, I was being robbed during a party with friends. Someone took my iPhone and immediately turned it off...impossible to locate it since then, it’s definitely lost. It was an iPhone 7+ which I loved since the first day I bought it in January 2017, my best phone by far. I even bought an iPad Pro and a MBP and the Apple ecosystem perfectly fulfilled my needs: fast, reliable, great native apps.

However, I didn’t want to spend 1k bucks to get an iPhone XS/XS Max which came out 6 months ago so I thought getting an Android (especially almost a stock version like a 1+) would be a good idea to wait until September for Apple announcement. I received the OnePlus 6T one week ago and, although it has many qualities and is blazing fast, I’m really missing iOS.

I remember having a all-in-one package with the iPhone, the icing on the cake being the sync between my devices. A much better haptic feedback, a nicer camera, better speakers, more refined apps (especially Instagram which is cropped on the 1+ for the stories due to the screen ratio, I also don’t like the idea of chat heads on Messenger and deactivating them forces me to check the notification centre every single time), no number badges for notifications (have to install an external launcher),... I really don’t think if one of those features taking apart makes a difference in my experience but by adding them, it seems like Android doesn’t suit me as much as before (I’ve owned two Android devices before my iPhone).

Anyway, I have 30 days with Amazon to send my device back and get a refund. An iPhone XR (64 GB) would cost me about €100-150 more than the 1+: worth it? If not, I might then wait and see in September because my first idea was to have an “in between” device. If Apple announcement is disappointing, I might stick to the XR then.

Tom.

Rigtee

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 19, 2018
Belgium
True, actually I also posted that thread on Reddit and people teold me the same thing: it’ll more comfortable everyday to use a system that I like.

And I guess the iPhones have a good resale value so I will be able to sell the XR for a great price if the next XS Max is tempting.

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
I would return the one plus and get the Xr. There’s not point in getting stuck with a phone you don’t want if there’s a way to return it at no cost.

craigio85

macrumors 6502a
Jun 27, 2017
United Kingdom
I wouldn’t rule out the XS / Max if you’re serious about switching back. I haven’t seen any suggestion that there will be exciting upgrades come September.

iObama

macrumors 65816
Nov 16, 2008
If you loved your 7 Plus, you could always go with an 8 Plus? Save all of that money, similar experience but more refined and faster!

Reactions: jimmy_uk

Rigtee

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 19, 2018
Belgium
Thanks for all your answers!

Some points to be made:

- It's not that I hate Android or the switching process, I'm a curious person and like to try everything. I even truly think that Android has some great advantages over iOS, the first one being customisation and the possibility to select a default app by category. Some great details as well (maybe particular to Oxygen OS on the OnePlus): pressing the control centre icons brings you directly in the settings app (I literally hate the fact that Apple is differentiating a disconnected and a turned off state, I have to use a Siri shortcut to toggle everything off), the always-on screen (advantage of the Oled), fast charging (right out of the box!), the 3 states switch,... Every system has its pros and cons.
- The main focus is about the quality of iOS, by that I mean the simplicity and great potential at the same time, the elegance, the selection of apps and the constant updates (native apps are so great; even in 2019 apps from third-party developers are still updated faster on iOS),...and of course the fact that it is being synced constantly with my other devices, such a pleasure (alright, there are definitely nice cross-platform options, Google apps especially, but if you need a powerful note-taking app available on all devices, you have to PAY!)

As for the switch, that's actually the toughest part: I've just checked and the iPhone 8+ is around €550 (refurbished), it's not that expensive considered its capabilities (except old design) but someone from my family can buy products without the sales tax because he has his own company, I've always bought my phones from him. So an XR will be approximately €600-650, so around €150 more than the price of my current 6T.

I was really expecting the upcoming iPhones to have USB-C connectors (to have a all-in-one cable) but it seems that it won't happen...What could they improve apart from removing the notch? If nothing changes, then yeah at the XR is the perfect candidate right now. I guess Apple won't increase the price of the next XS/Max because of the poor sales, maybe the occasion to pick a revamped version in September as well.

Wide opeN

macrumors 68000
Aug 27, 2010
Georgia
All depends on how serious you're about upgrading in September.

If not get the iPhone X. If yes, just wait, you'll get a good trade in price for you op6

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
X can be potentially cheaper than XR. Oled screen and last iPhone with Qualcomm modem

Valid point about the Qualcomm modem. To Me, unless the OP is specific about the display, I don’t think OLED is that major of a selling point, especially being how good Apples LCD displays have traditionally been.

Ffosse

macrumors 68000
Nov 5, 2012
I have the XR and wholeheartedly recommend it. There's not a lot it can't do that the Max can.

I share your frustration with Android. I tried out an S8 a while ago, played with it for about a week but the ecosystem just wasn't for me. iOs was far more familiar and friendly.

Reactions: Rigtee

Rigtee

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 19, 2018
Belgium
Thanks again for your replies!

I effectively returned the 6T to Amazon and am now waiting for a refund. Will see if I can get a good deal on the XR, otherwise yeah I think I'll buy a used 7+ (the 8+ is still expensive) and wait until September ;)

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Valid point about the Qualcomm modem. To Me, unless the OP is specific about the display, I don’t think OLED is that major of a selling point, especially being how good Apples LCD displays have traditionally been.
To me the Qualcomm modem is a moot point at this time. I keep waiting for the other shoe to drop with my max on connectivity and it hasn’t happened yet. The iOS updates have smoothed out the rough spots with the connectivity.

FFR

Suspended
Nov 4, 2007
London
To me the Qualcomm modem is a moot point at this time. I keep waiting for the other shoe to drop with my max on connectivity and it hasn’t happened yet. The iOS updates have smoothed out the rough spots with the connectivity.

It was always a moot point, there was never anything wrong with the intel modem.
Of course if you compare a 2018 quolcomm modem to a 2017 intel modem, speeds will be slower on the older modem.

Op how are you enjoying your iPhone?

Last edited:

Rigtee

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 19, 2018
Belgium
It was always a moot point, there was never anything wrong with the intel modem.
Of course if you compare a 2018 quolcomm modem to a 2017 intel modem, speeds will be slower on the older modem.

Op how are you enjoying your iPhone?

Haven't even ordered it yet :p I'm still waiting for the refund of the 6T because I was sceptical about the fact that I removed the plastic screen protector to place a glass one the day I received my phone (was a mistake btw because some glass protectors, mine included, aren't designed to work along with the in-screen fingerprint reader...); should be alright for Amazon normally.

Right now I'm using my father's old 6+, very slow and laggy but it is alright as long as I don't ask too much from it.

willentrekin

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2013
US
Refurb iPhone X.

I was going to trade in my 7+ for a refurb but discovered you can only get new with the trade-in. I got the XS. It's brilliant.

Without the trade-in I would have just gone with the refurb. No contest.

Enjoy.

FFR

Suspended
Nov 4, 2007
London
Haven't even ordered it yet :p I'm still waiting for the refund of the 6T because I was sceptical about the fact that I removed the plastic screen protector to place a glass one the day I received my phone (was a mistake btw because some glass protectors, mine included, aren't designed to work along with the in-screen fingerprint reader...); should be alright for Amazon normally.

Right now I'm using my father's old 6+, very slow and laggy but it is alright as long as I don't ask too much from it.

Your going to love the xr, which colour did you settle on?

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.