Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
Original poster
May 3, 2009
Its that time of year - yaay :)

Important dates:
All 30 Major League clubs begin play in Cactus and Grapefruit League games on Saturday, February 25.
MLB Opening day is scheduled for March 30, 2023.

This season will be very different then last season.
Pitch timer
Shift restrictions
Bigger bases

I'm personally looking forward to the shift restrictions. I'm of the opinion that, the shift has done more to damage the game of baseball then any other action.

I'm not sure about the pitch timer, but I think if we can goose pitchers along to be a bit faster, I'm ok with this. I think there are going to be a number of unintended consequences to this as the season plays out.

I don't know anything about the bigger bases, seems kind of silly to me, but we'll see how this one goes.

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
Sunny, Southern California
Its that time of year - yaay :)

Important dates:
All 30 Major League clubs begin play in Cactus and Grapefruit League games on Saturday, February 25.
MLB Opening day is scheduled for March 30, 2023.

This season will be very different then last season.
Pitch timer
Shift restrictions
Bigger bases

I'm personally looking forward to the shift restrictions. I'm of the opinion that, the shift has done more to damage the game of baseball then any other action.

I'm not sure about the pitch timer, but I think if we can goose pitchers along to be a bit faster, I'm ok with this. I think there are going to be a number of unintended consequences to this as the season plays out.

I don't know anything about the bigger bases, seems kind of silly to me, but we'll see how this one goes.

I am also looking forward to the shift restrictions... The pitch timer... that is going to be an interesting concept. I mean it worked in other sports, but baseball is a different monster. Will be interesting.

Let's go Yank's!

I mean at this point, it is anyone's World Series to win right!!! :)

Reactions: maflynn

Gregg2

macrumors 604
May 22, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
I think it's to reduce the number of injuries caused by foot/ankle, hand/wrist interactions between infielders and baserunners. Like all rule changes, it has been vetted in the minors.

It might also increase the number of stolen bases, speaking of unintended consequences. A runner with 3 more inches of "safety" at first, moving the lead-off "zone" that much farther from the foul line, will get to second quicker, and have maybe a couple of inches less (I didn't do the trig) to have to reach second base. Thus, the close plays that were outs before will now be safe, and some plays that were not so "it could go either way" close before now will be.

Reactions: curdy

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
Original poster
May 3, 2009
it has been vetted in the minors.
Oh I know, they've had the pitch clock last year. I didnt know about the larger bases, and so I'm completely in the dark with the idea behind it, and what its trying to solve. It will be one of those things that will be interesting to see how it pans out in the regular season

curdy

macrumors 6502
Jul 5, 2009
BC, Canada
They say the larger bases are to decrease injuries and like @Gregg2 said, to increase the "more exciting" plays such as base stealing. I also heard yesterday on Sportsnet here in Canada that there is talk of limiting the number of times a pitcher or catcher can attempt to throw out a runner who is leading off from base.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
Original poster
May 3, 2009
talk of limiting the number of times a pitcher or catcher can attempt to throw out a runner who is leading off from base.
Yes

Pickoffs
The new rule: Pickoffs are one version of a "disengagement," which consists of any time the pitcher makes a pickoff attempt, fakes a pickoff, or simply steps off the rubber for any reason, as well as when the defense requests time. Pitchers are allowed two disengagements per plate appearance without penalty. The disengagements rule resets if a runner or runners advance a base within the same plate appearance.

I think this is a good change as well. It doesn't happen a lot but its a pain when we see a pitcher try to hold someone at first base and they throw there like 4, 5 or 6 times. The sad part is then the first base runner steals second base anyways. Now they only get two disengagements and if they throw to first base a third time, it has to result in an out

curdy

macrumors 6502
Jul 5, 2009
BC, Canada
Yes

I think this is a good change as well. It doesn't happen a lot but its a pain when we see a pitcher try to hold someone at first base and they throw there like 4, 5 or 6 times. The sad part is then the first base runner steals second base anyways. Now they only get two disengagements and if they throw to first base a third time, it has to result in an out
I like it too. And they said it was a "crowd pleasing rule" as everyone always boos when what you mentioned happens and again slows the game down.

Reactions: maflynn

Herdfan

macrumors 65816
Apr 11, 2011

I disagree. I think teams should have hired some college softball players to teach MLB players how to slap the ball the opposite direction. That would have fixed the problem.

Hank Aaron hit 755 HR's without gloves. There is no need for today's players to restrap their gloves after every pitch. So if the players don't like this rule, get a mirror so you can see who caused this to have to be a rule.

I would have rather just seen a double base at first. Like Alex Cora said, they look like pizza boxes.

Reactions: pachyderm

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
Original poster
May 3, 2009
I disagree. I think teams should have hired some college softball players to teach MLB players how to slap the ball the opposite direction. That would have fixed the problem.
Here's my take.
As per this site, the shift as we now know it, came to prominence in the early 2010s. So we've had this extreme shift now for around 12 years give or take. At this point, we've had a number of generations come through college, farm systems and into MLB but yet unable to adjust for the shift in any meaningful way.

I don't think its a matter of they didn't teach them, so its their fault. I think many hitters really wanted to pull/push the ball but couldn't. Think about it. Its hard enough to hit a ball - If a player hits the ball 2 times out of 10, he's considered a decent batter. Where in life is a passing grade 20%? Exceptional players are lucky to hit the ball 3 times out of 10. Who has finished the season with a batting average 400? I think one or two. So now they not only need to hit the ball but do it in a manner that is going to the opposite field of where the infield is stationed? I think that's asking more then what many of the players can do.

Last edited:

Herdfan

macrumors 65816
Apr 11, 2011
Here's my take.
As per this site, the shift as we now know it, came to prominence in the early 2010s. So we've had this extreme shift now for around 12 years give or take. At this point, we've had a number of generations come through college, farm systems and into MLB but yet unable to adjust for the shift in any meaningful way.

I don't think its a matter of they didn't teach them, so its their fault. I think many hitters really wanted to pull/push the ball but couldn't. Think about it. Its hard enough to hit a ball - If a player hits the ball 2 times out of 10, he's considered a decent batter. Where in life is a passing grade 20%? Exceptional players are lucky to hit the ball 3 times out of 10. Who has hit it 4 times out 10. I think one or two (for a complete season). So now they not only need to hit the ball but do it in a manner that is going to the opposite field of where the infield is stationed? I think that's asking more then what many of the players can do.

I think you are confusing hitting the ball vs getting a hit. Tony Gwynn, who is probably the best hitter in my lifetime had approximate 11,000 plate appearances and he struck out or walked approximately 1,200 times. That is a making contact rate of .891. Granted he was great, but most players can make contact anytime they want.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
Original poster
May 3, 2009
I think you are confusing hitting the ball vs getting a hit.
Not really, I think I did a poor job explaining where I'm coming from.

My point at the most basic level is that baseball players really really wanted to overcome the shift but failed to do so for 12+ years. I was pointing how hard it is for players to get a hit, never mind adjusting their swing to pull/push the ball.

Reactions: Herdfan

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
Original poster
May 3, 2009
This is Miguel Cabrera final year and so I expect a farewell tour for him. He's been a fun player to watch, and I enjoy watching small market teams and with the MLB package I typically will turn into a Milwaukee or Detroit game.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
Original poster
May 3, 2009
You know that Bally Sports is in financial distress, right? You might have trouble getting some small market games.
MLB fully expects Bally Sports to file for bankruptcy. Here's the thing, if I pay for the MLB package (I think its like 150) and that relies on local broadcasts, like Bally Sports. 14 out of the 30 MLB teams use Bally Sports, so this could have significant impact to both the local fan, but also to general fans (like myself) who pay for the MLB package.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
Original poster
May 3, 2009
So, any opinions on Machado stating he plans to opt out of his contract at the end of the 2023 season?

He signed what was then a mammoth contract but its less mammoth now

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
Original poster
May 3, 2009
Yes. If the Cubs sign him, I will be rooting against them for the first time in my life.
Since he's not a free agent, the Padres have exclusive right to negotiate. I think I saw one article that he already turned down a 100 million bump to his existing contract

Silencio

macrumors 68040
Jul 18, 2002
NYC
Zero expectations for the Giants in 2023. Finishing above .500 would be a moral victory, TBH. Hope some younger players step up and the bullpen and defense improve.

Herdfan

macrumors 65816
Apr 11, 2011
Agreed. If players learned to hit to the opposite field the shift would quickly disappear.

And they don't even have to be good hits. Just slap the ball where the 3rd basemen used to be.

But it is all about HR's and launch angle. Bring back small ball.

Reactions: ucfgrad93

Silencio

macrumors 68040
Jul 18, 2002
NYC
I always appreciated a power hitter who could crush home runs to the opposite field. Mike Piazza frequently hit laser beams over the wall in right. Mark McGwire would occasionally launch one out to right center field. Brandon Crawford has been pretty adept at hitting them out to left field as a left-handed hitter.

When I played baseball, that was always my approach at the plate: go with the pitch. Instead of trying to pull the ball and ground out to the shortstop all the time, I liked to hit line drives to right field, and the occasional home run out that way.

Herdfan

macrumors 65816
Apr 11, 2011
When I played baseball, that was always my approach at the plate: go with the pitch. Instead of trying to pull the ball and ground out to the shortstop all the time, I liked to hit line drives to right field, and the occasional home run out that way.

As did I, but I played with guys who would try and pull a low, outside pitch vs just driving it down what was usually an unprotected line.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.