Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PML7554

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 8, 2021
The NUC was a 2015 one, as provided by my "customer". So, it was not particularly fast! I at least changed the hard drive by a SSD to improve the speed. The advantage of this little NUC is to be able to use the original power unit of the iMac G4 to power and the display, and the NUC.

PML7554

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 8, 2021
I finally took time to integrate the M2 Mac Mini, and it is ready !

IMG_3440.jpeg

Everything is ok, it has 3 usb 3 ports, 1 thunderbolt 3, one Ethernet, WiFi and Bluetooth are working very well, thanks to the new antennas, and the audio part is great.

IMG_3438.jpeg

IMG_3441.jpeg

It is able to use Netflix or any other vod service, the display is HDCP compliant, thanks to an integrated HDMI splitter.

I have one free thunderbolt inside, I’ll think about a way to use it.

The only limitation is the fact that the sleep mode does not correctly work. The display’s backlight does not turn off.

Reactions: iainr and ToniCH

Wouter3

macrumors regular
Oct 31, 2017
Netherlands
A great job. The Sonoma screen looks awesome on the iMac G4.

You must have had a lot of effort in getting this to work. I have a question. Would it be possible for us less experienced hobby workers, but probably more expensive, to use the Juicy Crumb Docklite G4 technology from Australia (https://juicycrumb.com/product/docklite-g4/) to provide the interface base for M2 Mini in the G4, as shown by Action Retro in his video

Reactions: johnmarki

PML7554

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 8, 2021
A great job. The Sonoma screen looks awesome on the iMac G4.

You must have had a lot of effort in getting this to work. I have a question. Would it be possible for us less experienced hobby workers, but probably more expensive, to use the Juicy Crumb Docklite G4 technology from Australia (https://juicycrumb.com/product/docklite-g4/) to provide the interface base for M2 Mini in the G4, as shown by Action Retro in his video
thanks for the link, I did not know this great solution! I think it is perfect for those who don’t want or can’t do the modification themselves.
There is still the issue of the Mac Mini integration if you want to have an all one one, and not just as external display.
In my opinion, I have to add that I hate the look of this solution ;-)

swamprock

macrumors 65816
Aug 2, 2015
Michigan
thanks for the link, I did not know this great solution! I think it is perfect for those who don’t want or can’t do the modification themselves.
There is still the issue of the Mac Mini integration if you want to have an all one one, and not just as external display.

Unfortunately, that solution is only for the 20" iMacs... for now.

iainr

macrumors newbie
Feb 16, 2008
Your work is so impressive and i agree is much more elegant than using the Juicy Crumb board specifically for an M2 upgrade rather than just using the G4 as an external display.

Would you be interested in providing an M2 conversion kit for others to fit themselves? Would this even be possible for those of us who don’t have your soldering skills?

I just got hold of a 20” that I really want to do an M2 upgrade with, but I want to retain the original ports, power button etc and your modified logic board is the best solution I’ve seen!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.