Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Babyboi

macrumors regular
Mar 16, 2008
I have some Time machine backups.
1 Are my documents as pictures etc saved there?
2 If I do a clean install will my documents on the boot hard disk be erased?
3 If I do a clean install will my wifi password etc be erased?
4 If I restore the Time machine copy will it not simply overwrite the clean install?
5 Will I need to reinstall my apps?

1- your documents and pictures should be saved in your Time Machine Backup. You can easily check by launching TM.
2- If you do a regular install (by running a USB installer directly over current OS) your files should stay in tact. (this is good) This can only be done with current or newer OS) However, if you wish to go to a previous OS, OR delete all files and start from a fresh and empty OS (clean install), run Disk Utility through the USB installer
3- let's assume "clean install" means wipe hard drive clean. all data including wifi password, accounts, apps, files, will be erased.
4 If you restore using Time Machine, it will overwrite with the Time Machine backup.
5 Will you need to reinstall apps? that depends what method you choose. If you do clean install, you start with nothing (which may be good or bad depending on you) If you restore from Time Machine, you will have your Apps or settings you had since the latest TM backup)

colinire15

macrumors newbie
Aug 14, 2019
Belfast, Antrim
Hi folks,

I have a 2018 MBP 13 running Mojave 10.14.2

It seems about once a day the system will beach ball needing a restart. The first symptom is that web pages don't load and then when I move the cursor over the wireless symbol in the taskbar the system beach balls.

Activity Monitor shows SystemUIServer not responding. Force quitting closes it but doesn't fix the problem and I need to restart. Any ideas?

Thanks
On Mojave 10.14.6 on a Mac pro and still having this problem two or three times a day. Might go back to High Sierra.

Nemesis19

macrumors member
Mar 21, 2010
Maybe time for a full clean install with the 6.05gb 10.14.6 installer

having the issue as well...mojave 10.14.6...I lose the connection to the magic mouse, tried to reset SystemUIServer preferences but it seems has not resolved a damn thing

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.