Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cheese9man

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 18, 2021
I don't have much money right now but I need an ipad that can do the things I need. 2 years ago I sold my 1st generation 12.9 ipad pro to buy a macbook because I don't have a laptop and the ipad just can't do everything that I need. Now I need an ipad for reading medical books and highlight important stuff with the apple pencil, watch youtube/netflix, and social networking sites. I won't be playing on it or edit videos/photos. I'm guessing it just needs to last for around 2 years until I can buy a new one. And yes I'll be buying them used.

I listed my questions so that it would be easier to read and answer:
1. If you were in my position is the 10.5 ipad pro still a good product or should I go with the ipad air 3?
2. How about the 2nd gen 12.9 ipad pro?
3. Are there features of the ipadOS that are not available in the 10.5 inch compared to the newer ones like complicated multi-tasking?
4. Is the 10.5 screen better than the ipad air 3 other than the 120hz screen?

As much as I would like to get the 2018 ipad pro, it's just way more expensive than the 2017 pros. Sorry guys if my English is a bit bad but I would like to say thank you in advance and have a great day!

Reactions: BillyiPad95

velocityg4

macrumors 604
Dec 19, 2004
Georgia
I'd expect the current base model iPad can do everything you listed fine. Same with any of the models you listed. Highlighting textbooks, Social Networking and Video Playback aren't exactly demanding tasks.

I wouldn't want a 2017 model of any iPad. Simply because it'll be the first on the chopping block for OS updates. Also any 2017 or 2018 model you'll have the issue of battery wear.

I'd take the current iPad (8th gen) or iPad Air 3 over the 2017 iPad Pro. Given that the CPU in both is two generations newer. I think those are the two you should really be comparing. Last I checked a used iPad Air 3 costs about as much as a new iPad 8th.

iPad 8th
- New
- Warranty
- New Battery

iPad Air 3
- Better display
- Better Camera
- Bluetooth 5.0 vs 4.2

GMShadow

macrumors 68020
Jun 8, 2021
The 10.5 Pro has issues with display hotspots due to the SOC heating up, and the Air 3 kinda suffers similar issues.

The 12.9 2017 Pro has issues with the touch screen due to chassis flex.

I'd go with the iPad 8, as the above poster noted.

Reactions: VaruLV

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
I’d say if Apple Pencil is involved, at least get a used iPad Air 4th gen. Magnetically attached Apple Pencil is much better than lightning powered one, and a major dealbreaker for on the go Apple Pencil use.

If I’m in your position, unless I need the iPad right now, I would save up for a used iPad Air 4th gen. Yes, it is still actively sold by Apple but I pick 2nd gen Apple Pencil any day.

However, if you plan to get a case for iPad, there are options out that features Apple Pencil holder, so that carrying around with Pencil is viable. With that in mind, I’d pick iPad Pro 10.5” for 120Hz, iPad Air 3 if I need more storage.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
I’d say if Apple Pencil is involved, at least get a used iPad Air 4th gen. Magnetically attached Apple Pencil is much better than lightning powered one, and a major dealbreaker for on the go Apple Pencil use.

If I’m in your position, unless I need the iPad right now, I would save up for a used iPad Air 4th gen. Yes, it is still actively sold by Apple but I pick 2nd gen Apple Pencil any day.

For simple markup and highlights, cheap Apple Pencil clones using Logitech Crayon technology work just as well as the original. Bonus, they work seamlessly between iPads (2018 or newer) without needing to be paired.

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
For simple markup and highlights, cheap Apple Pencil clones using Logitech Crayon technology work just as well as the original. Bonus, they work seamlessly between iPads (2018 or newer) without needing to be paired.
Oh, I don’t get the chance to try out those cause local Apple store didn’t have them in stock back then.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
Oh, I don’t get the chance to try out those cause local Apple store didn’t have them in stock back then.

I don't think Apple Stores carry the clones (although they do have the Logitech Crayon).

You can get the clones on Amazon for around $30. If you're willing to wait for shipping, I think AliExpress has them for like $15 or something.

I use the official Logitech Crayon for markup and note taking on a 2019 Air 3, 2019 iPad 7th gen and now the 2021 iPad Pro 12.9. Works fine and I love that it's just like a normal pen. No need to switch to a different pen when you're writing on different sheets of paper.

velocityg4

macrumors 604
Dec 19, 2004
Georgia
Aside from the Crayon. You might just try a simple stylus that works on modern screens. They're really cheap for a pack of them. Plus many double as an ink pen. So, not all is not lost of they aren't precise enough.

boak

macrumors 68000
Jun 26, 2021
Get the current iPad. If there's Back to School promo in your country, sell the AirPods to fund the Apple Pencil.

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
I don't think Apple Stores carry the clones (although they do have the Logitech Crayon).

You can get the clones on Amazon for around $30. If you're willing to wait for shipping, I think AliExpress has them for like $15 or something.

I use the official Logitech Crayon for markup and note taking on a 2019 Air 3, 2019 iPad 7th gen and now the 2021 iPad Pro 12.9. Works fine and I love that it's just like a normal pen. No need to switch to a different pen when you're writing on different sheets of paper.
I live in Australia so Amazon is a bit on the weak side. Apple store at least has generous 14 day return policy so I could try it out without too much worry.

With that being said, I never bothered those cheap stylus although I did see them in one book store near where I live. Much cheaper compared to Apple Pencil and claimed to work on phone and tablet alike.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
I live in Australia so Amazon is a bit on the weak side. Apple store at least has generous 14 day return policy so I could try it out without too much worry.

With that being said, I never bothered those cheap stylus although I did see them in one book store near where I live. Much cheaper compared to Apple Pencil and claimed to work on phone and tablet alike.

The generic styluses don't work as well.

You need one that specifically says for 2018 iPad or newer. Those work just as accurately as the Apple Pencil 1 for simple markup and note taking. Art, not so much since they're often missing features like pressure sensitivity.

Isamilis

macrumors 68020
Apr 3, 2012

However, if you plan to get a case for iPad, there are options out that features Apple Pencil holder, so that carrying around with Pencil is viable. With that in mind, I’d pick iPad Pro 10.5” for 120Hz, iPad Air 3 if I need more storage.
I think Apple Pencil 1 is still considerable. There are iPad cases with pencil placeholder which carry both everywhere.

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015

safari is ****

Last edited:

boak

macrumors 68000
Jun 26, 2021
Bright spot for my iPad Pro 10.5 too. Apple had to swap out the entire unit but luckily I had AppleCare+.

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
I have an iPad Pro 10.5, I havent had any issues. It has pro motion and a great speaker system. If you are able to get one with a credit card that doubles warranty - that would be solid.
Never had any issues with bright spots on my iPad Pro 10.5. I’d still be happily using it now if my husband didn’t let my kids use it and damage the charging port.

DMG35

Contributor
May 27, 2021
I have a 10.5 that I still use pretty regularly when I travel. Mine never developed the white spot (but it did seem to be a pretty big issue) and overall it still runs extremely well.

iObama

macrumors 65816
Nov 16, 2008
Forgot to add earlier – I have a 10.5" Pro from work with the bright spot as well.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.