Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

groove-agent

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 13, 2006
Hello all, I'm really struggling trying to find a monitor arm that fits my needs because it's difficult to see the range of motion on these arms on the web, and very few stores near me stock more than very basic ones.

I'm looking for a monitor arm that will support a 32" Asus Pro Art monitor. I'm looking to get the monitor low to the desk, even touching the desk. The only movement I need is depth, so I'd like to be able to move it as far back close to the clamping position and about 12+ inches forward. Can anyone suggest an arm that would be good for this purpose?

I have an old ergotron arm, but if you want to change the z axis position you have to move the clamp's x-axis on the desk otherwise the monitor will be off center. The best I can tell is I need to get a pole mounted arm so I can adjust the height low to the desk. I hope that as I move the monitor backwards in depth it can stay centered on the X axis.

I was thinking of this one:

Here is a picture of my desk so you understand why I simply want it to move forwards and backwards only. Thanks in advance.

IMG_1887 Medium.jpeg

Reactions: picpicmac

MacGizmo

macrumors 68040
Apr 27, 2003
Arizona
It hit me a few minutes after I posted above that you might be thinking you must have the clamp centered on the desk. This is not the case.

In fact, unless you have several inches of space between the edge of the desk and the wall/window, you won't be able to mount it in the middle of the desk because in order to move the display backward, it would need space for the "elbow" part of the arm to move back.

It's hard for me to tell with your photo, but you should be able to clamp it off to the right (or left) of where the center of the display currently is. This will allow you to move the display forward and backward without having the need for extra space behind the desk. This is what I do because my desk is right up against the wall.

The upside is that Amazon has a pretty simple return process if you find you don't like it.

MacGizmo

macrumors 68040
Apr 27, 2003
Arizona
IMG_2989.jpeg
One final thing I forgot to mention. The arm doesn't allow me to lower the display all the way down to touch the desk, but it does come within about the height of my mouse of touching it (about an inch). It really depends on the height of your display.

I never lower it that much, but it is possible, as you can see in the photo above.

Reactions: groove-agent

meson

macrumors 6502
Apr 29, 2014
Which Ergotron mount do you have? The Ergotron LX should do everything you want including lowering the display to the desk.

I use an HP BT861at. It’s an Ergotron LX that has the logo on the mounting base swapped out for an HP logo and a slightly different paint finish. All specs are identical to the LX except screen size, but at the time of manufacture the lightweight 32” screens we have now didn’t exist yet. You can find them as new old stock for ~$90. I have an LG 32 UL500 mounted to mine.

Edit originally suggested the possibility of a tv wall mount based on the second pic, saw that your first has a window behind the screen.

Last edited:

groove-agent

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 13, 2006
View attachment 2365746 One final thing I forgot to mention. The arm doesn't allow me to lower the display all the way down to touch the desk, but it does come within about the height of my mouse of touching it (about an inch). It really depends on the height of your display.

I never lower it that much, but it is possible, as you can see in the photo above.

Thanks for all the input. I think if I get a pole mounted stand it will allow me to ower it to the desk, particularly since it's a relatively large monitor. I don't have a problem with it being off center and my desk can move outwards from the window given it's on wheels.

Last time I checked I had to pay shipping for a return on Amazon unless it's defective. Maybe because I'm in Canada.

groove-agent

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 13, 2006
Which Ergotron mount do you have? The Ergotron LX should do everything you want including lowering the display to the desk.

I use an HP BT861at. It’s an Ergotron LX that has the logo on the mounting base swapped out for an HP logo and a slightly different paint finish. All specs are identical to the LX except screen size, but at the time of manufacture the lightweight 32” screens we have now didn’t exist yet. You can find them as new old stock for ~$90. I have an LG 32 UL500 mounted to mine.

Edit originally suggested the possibility of a tv wall mount based on the second pic, saw that your first has a window behind the screen.
Thanks for the reply. My Ergotron is hella old circa late 90s lol. I used to have a 20" Apple cinema attached to it. It only has one elbow really, so if you want to move it forwards or backwards, you have to re-clamp it along the desk so that it's centered between the two racks I have on the desk. Also, it doesn't go as low as I'd like. I prefer to sit in front of my window and thus want to see over my monitor as much as possible. :)

You can see it here attached to my old ultra-wide:

IMG_1967 Medium.jpeg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.