Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Edge100

macrumors 68000
May 14, 2002
Where am I???
Or flash power.

Actually, only increasing flash power or ISO will alter flash exposure if the OP stops down, since flash exposure is completely independent of shutter speed. Lower shutter speeds will let in more ambient light, but judging by the linked photos, it seems the OP is going for a strictly strobe-lit face with very little ambient. If the OP is using manual flash and stops down, either the flash output or ISO needs to be increased to maintain proper exposure.

On the other hand, if the OP is using ETTL flash metering, he can change aperture, shutter speed, and ISO to his heart's content and it wont make a lick of difference; the camera will compensate by changing flash output.

Edge100

macrumors 68000
May 14, 2002
Where am I???
Which is what the post was about so I'm confused by your "actually-" it's incomplete- adjusting flash power will alter the exposure if the OP stops up as well.

Sorry, got the quote wrong. The post you originally quoted referred to changing shutter speed or ISO to maintain exposure when stopping down with flash, when in fact you can only alter flash power (as you mentioned) or ISO; shutter speed has no effect on flash exposure.

compuwar

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2006
Northern/Central VA
Sorry, got the quote wrong. The post you originally quoted referred to changing shutter speed or ISO to maintain exposure when stopping down with flash, when in fact you can only alter flash power (as you mentioned) or ISO; shutter speed has no effect on flash exposure.

Ah, ok- gotcha.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.